A Test: Who Can be Baptized? - this lesson answers a question that is on peoples’ minds.
Please read and answer questions using pen or pencil. Let me know of any questions you have. - Dan
- The Scriptures teach that your sins have earned you eternal punishment away from God, but Jesus has died for your sins so that if you believe and obey Him you will be saved and be given eternal life. “6 For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.” - Romans 5:6
- Y or N, I believe Jesus is the Son of God and I desire to be saved by Him.
WHO CAN BE BAPTIZED.....
- The one showing True Repentance: “Therefore bear fruits in keeping with repentance,....The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none; and he who has food is to do likewise.” - Lk 3:11. John recognized that the people coming to be baptized wanted to flee from the wrath to come, but he would not baptize them unless they sought it spiritually.
- Y or N, I am REPENTING and turning away from past sins and want to walk according to God’s will.
- Now what if they wouldn’t share and repent? Well John wouldn’t baptize them.
- The one that Believes in the Resurrection of Jesus: “14Afterward He appeared to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at the table; and He reproached them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who had seen Him after He had risen 15 And he said to them, “God into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.” - Mk 16:14-16
- Y or N , I BELIEVE in the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- What if someone decided not to be baptized? That’s like asking what happens if someone chooses not to obey Jesus.
- The one who wishes to be in Jesus’ kingdom: “3Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he? 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly , I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” - Jn 3:3-5.”
- Y or N, I want to be part of the KINGDOM of Jesus Christ AND I agree that those who believe and are baptized will be saved?
- Which way into the kingdom of Christ, sir? Through baptism.
- The one who wants to be a disciple of Jesus Christ: “19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” - Mt 28:19,20
- Y or N, I am very interested in be called a DISCIPLE of Jesus Christ.
- Let’s suppose Peter and John were so excited about this. And they see you walking along and minding your own business. After they lay on you all of the good things about Jesus they say let’s go to the water. Would you say, “Nah, Billy Graham said it was “faith only”?
- Who? Those who are pricked in their hearts: “38 Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” - Acts 2:38
- Talk about having an audience eating out of your hands. This crowd was primed to do whatever Peter said next.
- Y or N, If you haven’t repented and be baptized, need to be repent and be baptized to receive forgiveness of sins.
- Who? Those who believe Peter’s preaching and wish to be saved: “41 He kept on exhorting them to be saved from this perverse generation. So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.” - Acts 2:41
- Whoa! Peter! You are scaring the people. They took it seriously.
- Y or N, I receive Peter’s message to be SAVED and FORGIVEN from this perverse world.
- Who? Men and women who believe the good news of Jesus Christ: “But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized men and women alike.” - Acts 8:12
- Do you know why it was men and women? Because they were the ones listening and the ones who were pricked by their sins.
- When you REALLY believe in God you see the rest of the world all different! Right?
- When you REALLY believe in Jesus, nothing is more appropriate than getting baptized.
- Y or N, I am an ADULT who believes in the good news that Jesus died for my sins.
- Who? Those who understand the sense of urgency to have their sins washed away: “Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.” - Acts 22:16
- Everyone’s had a list of things in their past they have put off.
- Don’t let putting off salvation be on that list. Like Paul, it’s urgent to get up and obey.
- Y or N, I understand the urgency of being baptized to have my sins washed away.
- Those who want to Start Over by being buried with Christ and being raised into a new life: “3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,” - Rom. 6:3-5
- I talked to a lady who was sprinkled when she was a baby. Being buried with Christ wasn’t what she recalled it being about. She didn’t recall anything unlike these Romans.
- Y or N, I understand that to raised up with Christ I must first be buried with Christ in baptism.
- Those who are not in the body of Christ but want to be: “For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaes or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.” - 1 Cor. 12:13
- Would you say being a member of the church is special to you?
- No apologies: the church is the special fraternity of God’s people, the brotherhood, the house of God. No organization, or enterprise is more important than the one you are baptized into.
- Y or N, I understand that WHEN I am immersed into Christ the Holy Spirit adds me to the body of Christ -- the church.
- Those who want to be clothed with Christ: “For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” - Gal. 3:27
- Ever been dressed wrong for the occasion? Once I wore a suit to attend a girl’s graduation. Overdressed. Once I was underdressed to sack groceries for Menards in Dallas and got sent home.
- Baptism dresses you just right. Clothed with Christ, sinless, perfectly presentable to God.
- Y or N, I understand that UNTIL I am baptized into Christ I am still unclothed.
- Those who want to be resurrected into new life: “having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.” - Col. 2:12
- Many so-called Christian groups say that Baptism is just a work of man and unnecessary.
- But Paul says here it is a work of faith. By faith we know that God raised Jesus from the dead and by faith we know that we are resurrected to new life at Baptism
- Y or N, I understand that I first need to be buried with Christ so that I can be raised with Christ.
- The unsaved: “Corresponding to that, baptism now saved you --not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience--through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,” - 1 Pt 3:21
- Your translation says “baptism saves”
- Which? Is Baptism a symbol of the water of the flood or the other way around?
- The flood water prefigures the waters of Baptism. God saved Noah through the water and God will save the sinner today through Baptism.
- Y or N, I see that baptism saves me because my faith is in the resurrection of Christ.
- Once you are born again, be devoted to God’s Word, to the church, to worshiping, and to prayer:
“42 They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.” - Acts 2:42
- Sometimes people stop at Baptism. Just as they come out of the water, brand spanking new, they just stay a baby. They don’t grow. They don’t continue their walk.
- Y or N, I will focus my life on being devoted to these things that characterize the New Testament church of Christ.
“Just because everybody knows something doesn’t make it so....the myth about 10 percent of our brain? No one really knows how that belief began, but it's been repeated so often that most people accept it as true. Neurosurgeons are not among them, which explains why they carefully plan each incision they will make when performing brain surgery.” - Heartlight Articles
The same is true with religious traditions. Just because everybody believes and practices them doesn’t make them true. God’s Word is the source we go to to answer our spiritual questions.