OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 20th September 2011

18:00 - 18:55 GMT

Agenda & Minutes

final

Present: Richard Weait, Steve Coast, Grant Slater, Michael Collinson, Henk Hoff, Ed Avis

Apologies: 

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met August 16th.

https://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/Doc?docid=0AVpHn23-hYdNZGQ5ZzNxanBfMTI2bjJuNGI0ZHQ&authkey=CJXU_IIP&hl=en_GB&authkey=CJXU_IIP

Proposed: Henk

Seconded: Richard

Accepted

2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (patch done but not live)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Contributor_Terms_Summary
  • Mike - a number of folk targeted by the mailing have asked questions that the LWG needs to deal with.
  • Action - Grant - Ask if it feasible - Add a tag to a user's www.openstreetmap.org user page indicating license acceptance status.
  • Richard - Contributors with obsolete .yu email addresses

3. Finalise today's agenda

4. Ed Avis research

Had informal results from two firms (UK and US) that he contacted. Summarised to legal-talk list. Some questions generated have been forwarded. He invited LWG to forward to him any questions arising that we might like to ask.

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2011-September/006642.html

Ed left the call at 20:13

5. SOTM 2011 Feedback?

Overall tone was why don't we just get on with it and finish it ... not opposition and feeling we were going to fast. Henk added that this was different to OSM Vienna ... these were chiefly concerned with perceived lack of communication and worries about the potential of large amounts of data being deleted.

6. http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright and friends

Mike - Send revised text Grant

7. ODbL implementation

  • Report

The number of older contributors accepting the new terms is still rising and now at 44,083 ... roughly 3,000 in five weeks. The total number of explicit declines is level at 353.

  • Mailing to those who have never editted.

Pass to Communication WG via Management Meeting. Mike.

  • Second mailing

Richard to start drafting. We need to pay much greater attention to translation into other languages in the email itself.

8. Database re-build

Not discussed.

8. Hall of Shame

 

These are *alleged* cases of violation of OSM copyright.

None.

9. AOB

  • South African government data (Chief Directorate : National Geo-spatial Information, in the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform)

Lance Burger drafted suitable wording to cover issued raised by Mike in addition to his own suggestions and sent the draft.  There have been no objections so far and only one more approval may be needed.

  • Deactivated .yu addresses and emailing about re-licensing

Update: There are 28 total. We can guess new email address but Tom Hughes advises that privacy issue prevents us from giving personal data of any kind to potentially the wrong person ... Richard to draft a careful email with that in mind.

  • Deceased contributors. We have two known cases. We would prefer not to contact relatives (who inherit the estate and therefore IP ownership in many jurisdictions). Richard to ask counsel about the issue.

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Oct 4th 11am PST / 14:00 EST / 18:00 UTC / 19:00 BST(UK) / 20:00 CEST AND/OR a date/time to suit Australian time zone.