Lime Chik-n with Cilantro Lime Rice and Refried Beans
Cilantro-Lime Rice - Serves 4
* 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
* 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
* 1 Tb olive oil
* 2 Tb lime juice
* 2 tsp lime zest
* 1/2 tsp salt ( only if you're using water )
* Freshly ground pepper
* 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, lightly packed
* 1 green onion, green part only, sliced very thinly
1. In a heavy pot, combine the rice, vegetable stock, olive oil, lime juice and zest, salt ( if using ), and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and cover the pot. Cook for 20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice grains are tender.
2. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the rice with the cilantro and green onion. Fluff the rice, working in the chopping herbs. Serve immediately.
Home-Style Refried Beans - Makes 4 Cups
* 2 Tb corn, peanut, or olive oil
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 small onion ( about 1/4 lb ) diced small
* 1 to 2 jalapeno or serrano chilies, seeded and minced
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp dried oregano
* 1/2 tsp ground chile powder, such as ancho or a blend
* 2 ( 15 ounce ) cans pinto or black or pink beans, drained and rinsed, or 3 1/2 to * 4 cups of cooked beans
* 1 bay leaf
* 2 cups water
* Salt and fresh pepper
1. In a large, heavy cast-iron skillet, combine the oil and garlic and cook over medium heat. Allow the garlic to sizzle for 30 seconds, then add the onion and jalapeno. Using a wooden spoon to stir occasionally, fry until the onion turns translucent, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle in the cumin, oregano, and chile powder, and fry for another 30 seconds.
2. Stir in the beans, bay leaf, and water and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to medium again and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, or until more than half the liquid has been absorbed but about an inch of liquid remains.
3. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Use a potato masher to mash the beans smooth, then stir to form a thick, moist paste, anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes. If refried beans appear to dry out, add a little water a few tablespoons at a time, until your desired consistency is reached. Serve immediately.
Lime Chik-n - Serves 4
* 1 package Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik'n Strips ( defrosted )
* Juice of 1 lime
* Dash of pepper
1. In a medium sized skillet, pour in 1 Tb olive oil and allow to heat for 30 seconds on medium heat.
2. Add the chik'n stripes and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the lime juice and the dash of pepper and stir to season all the strips.
4. Cook for 3 more minutes and serve immediately.
Serve with corn or flour tortilla if desired.