Cherry Bon Bon Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar, plus ½ cup for rolling dough
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cherry flavoring
- 48 fresh sweet cherries, pitted
- 1 package (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the flat beater attached, cream the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the egg, vanilla and cherry flavoring; beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Place the ½ cup sugar for rolling in a shallow bowl. Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a 1½-inch ball between palms, roll the ball in the sugar, and then place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, spacing the balls about 2 inches apart. Using your thumb, make indentation in center of each ball. Fill each indentation with a cherry.
- In a small pan over low heat, combine chocolate chips and condensed milk, heat until chocolate is melted. Spoon 1 teaspoon chocolate mixture over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets about 3 minutes; using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yields: 48 cookies
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com