R Y A N G R E G E T
478 Adeline Ave
San Jose, CA 95136
Systems engineering professional focused in leveraging cloud technologies and scalable, automated infrastructure. Designed, implemented and supported infrastructure for multiple cloud and hybrid applications for a Fortune 500 company. Passionate about technology and eager to learn new skills.
Senior Systems Engineer
May 2009 to Present
- Designed and automated infrastructure and deployment for Apollo's first public cloud projects:
- XMPP chat deployment including proxy for datacenter based authentication, high availability and software load balancing using HAProxy on Amazon EC2.
- The newest generation of classroom for University of Phoenix. Included using nginx as a caching web proxy, HAProxy for sophisticated request routing rules, Elastic Load Balancers for SSL offloading and both relational and NoSQL data layers.
- Created Ruby webservices to provide command and control for these services in Amazon EC2.
- Experience implementing NoSQL database solutions including Riak and Redis.
- Experience with Opscode Chef, including maintaining cookbooks and integrating Chef with related applications.
- Experience with monitoring tools including Graphite, Cacti and Splunk.
- Part of a team that designed and maintained the following custom applications with Ruby:
- Configuration Management Database using Ruby on Rails.
- Drift detection and alerting system using Ruby on Rails.
- A reporting dashboard that used realtime firewall logs as an input to graph University of Phoenix student activity by geographic location and application used with Sinatra.
- Served as Technical Lead on server farm builds, including design and documentation of both systems, networking and storage.
- Experience with SAN storage including configuring HBA’s, Oracle ASM and multipathd.
- Managed monitoring, availability and backup status for systems.
- Performed maintenance and troubleshooting duties on production systems.
- Acted as a primary technical contact for the Development organization for appropriate applications and services.
- Documented customer requirements and validated that completed systems matched specifications.
- Participated in the Systems Administration On-Call rotation as third tier support.
- Maintained PCI, FERPA and SOX information security requirements.
- Created shell scripts to audit environments for consistency and quality.
- Worked closely with the Project Management department to meet project goals without compromising quality.
July 2005 to May 2009
- Perform software and system upgrades to production servers, Windows Server 2003, Red Hat / CentOS Enterprise 4.5 and 5.
- Shared Administration duties on a mixed Linux / Windows Production environment, sharing on-call status for 24/7 coverage.
- Administered a Linux based VMware environment as part of a small team.
- Made changes to production and test firewalls (Cisco Pix and Checkpoint).
- Managed VLAN's on Cisco switches.
- Troubleshot and maintained Cisco VPN concentrators and clients.
- Troubleshot and repaired desktop and server network problems, including DHCP and static IPs, DNS, NAT and routing issues.
- Designed and implemented the desktop deployment server for automatically building and configuring laptops and desktops (PXE).
- Installed and maintained SQL servers (Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and 2005 as well as Oracle 10g), including managing backups and optimizing database and query performance.
- Administered the company PBX (Avaya, then Mitel), including multiple ACD queues.
- Trained on Mitel IP-based PBX administration.
- Acted as Lead Engineer as needed for new applications and projects.
- Maintained and extended existing corporate and customer facing applications.
- Maintained, performed upgrades and customized the corporate CRM system (Pivotal).
- Implemented and customized a Project and Portfolio Management system for the Professional Services and Engineering departments (CA Clarity).
- Implemented an Applicant Tracking system for the HR department.
March 2005 to July 2005
- Managed the network and systems transfer for an office move.
- Built new desktops and laptops for new hires.
- Troubleshot and maintained desktop and laptops.
- Managed the warranty repair of computer and network resources through vendors.
- Assisted in administration and configuration of the CRM and ERP application (Sage ACCPAC).
- Scheduled and managed Technology contractors.
SKILLS AND TRAINING
- Sinatra framework
- Rails 2.x and 3.0
- Redhat, CentOS and Ubuntu Linux
- Windows Server 2000 and 2003
- Cisco Certified Network Associate
- Oracle Certified Associate
- Mitel 3300 series PBX