Green Onion Pancakes with Shrimp
200g (7oz) small shrimps, peeled and cleaned
1 bunch green onion, cut into 2" long slices
1-2 red chilies, thinly sliced (optional)
1 1/4 cup cake flour
1/8 teaspoon baking flour
pinches of kosher salt and black pepper
1 cup + 2 tablespoon ice water, or more
2-4 tablespoon grape seed oil or canola oil
2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1-2 teaspoon Korean chili flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, crushed with fingers
1) In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt and pepper. Add water and egg, and whisk until just combined. The consistency of batter should be like breakfast batter. Add more water if the batter seems too stiff.
2) Add the green onions and shrimps to the bowl, toss well to coat.
3) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat, add 1/4 cupful of batter to the skillet and spread out thinly. Sear the pancakes 3-4 minutes until the edges seems to form a crust, flip to the other side.
Add more oil if the skillet seems dry. You should see the golden brown crust. Sear the other side of pancakes for another 3 minutes until golden as well.
4) You might need to adjust the heat to med-low in order not to burn the pancakes.
5) Serve hot with dipping sauce.