Curried Chickpea Cakes
* 1 ( 15 ounce ) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
* 1/3 cup sliced green onions, both white and light green parts
* 1/3 cup light coconut milk
* 2 tsp evaporated cane sugar
* 2/3 cup breadcrumbs, plus 1/4 cup for coating
* 1 tsp curry powder
* 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
* 1/2 tsp ground cumin
* 2/3 cup brown rice, cooked
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 cup grapeseed oil or toasted sesame oil, for pan searing
1. In a large food processor, combine the chickpeas and green onions. Pulse until combined. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the coconut milk, sugar, 2/3 cup of the breadcrumbs, curry powder, nutmeg and cumin. Stir together with a wooden spoon until well combined.
3. Stir in the brown rice and salt. Mold into 10 mini patties.
4. In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chickpea cakes to the pan in batches and saute until there's a nice golden sear on the bottom. Flip and sear on the other side as well. Continue with the remaining cakes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.