OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 24th January 2012

19:00 - 20:37 GMT

Agenda & Minutes


Present: Richard Weait, Grant Slater, Dermot McNally, Michael Collinson

Apologies: Simon

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met January 17th for a long-form meeting.

Proposed: Dermot

Seconded: Richard


2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (patch done but not live)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re and friends in Sept 20th minutes. Addition: Pay attention to Poland UMP-pcPL project
  • Dermot and Richard will contact four people we have identified for per change-set CT acceptance (Oct 25 minutes) Ongoing
  • Oliver - to contact Osnabruck City council to clarify if Council/donor has OK’d ODbL for Frida project import. (done - council will discuss internally)
  • Henk - Japan argath import. Ask if it could go now.?
  • Mike - Organise supplementary documents wanted by South Africa CD-NGI
  • Mike - Improve UMP acknowledgement on our website. (done)

3. Finalise today's agenda

4. OSM Czech Republic / pavel

Pavel Machek (username pavel) imported some parts of data from datasets:

* HS-RS - roads; explicit permission to use the data in OSM was granted
(both CC-BY-SA and ODbL).
* UHUL WMS - forests; public domain.
* UIR-ADR - address points; public domain
* dibavod - waterways and water areas; public domain.

Pavel declined ODbL and CT and also publicly stated that he doesn't want to make the change easy for OSM community [1], thus he personally won't grant the permission for keeping the data in OSM under the new license.

[1] (in English)

The most painful to the Czech community would probably be the loss of forests and waterways, because we would also lose a lot of edits that followed after the import. Roads and address points can be recreated much more easily, as there are quite reliable free sources for this.

The Czech OSM community believes that the explicit permission from Pavel is
not necessary for keeping the data in OSM, because the data comes from
public domain sources, the import was a collaborative effort of Jachym Cepicky, hanoj and Tomáš Kolda with pavel uploading it to the database. They ask the LWG opinion on this.

LWG had an initial discussion and is collecting more information.

5. OSM Poland

Whatever the final outcome of license discussions, LWG acknowledges the debt the OpenStreetmap community owes UMP-pcPL for kick starting the OSM map in Poland.  LWG feels that website acknowledgements should be upgraded and has or is doing the following:


Existing text: “Poland: Contains data from UMP-pcPL maps. Copyright UMP-pcPL contributors.”

Links to official website

PROPOSED ADDITION: “More about OSM’s use of UMP data can be found here”

Grant - Implement in Rails code


Mike has added more information about the UMP-pcPL project and how it kick-started OSM’s map of Poland.


More obvious link to added


Added information about UMP-pcPL’s core project and acknowledged their help to UMP.

6 Database contact and re-map

Contact-then-remap programs were launched in the USA courtesy of Martijn van Exel.

Global picture: No updated node/highway ownership stats this week [1]. Problematic nodes are down to 32.2M; problematic ways down to 3.2M. Relations that may not survive the license change is down about 2,000 [2].

[1] Based on node count,

[2] "Nodes Created" 

- Letter to 132 German-speaking decliners (Germany, Austria, Switzerland)

Has gone out and had a positive response with 10 agreeing so far.

Need to deal with written responses when they have stopped coming in. Mike - Make sure on a future agenda.

Dermot to draft an English-language skeleton for possibly sending to other countries.

- Global contact-and-remap

Once LWG has concretely communicated with the Polish and Czech Republic communities that they have special circumstances, we will do a check with osm-talk that the community feels that “critical mass”  has been achieved and then do a general announcement to announce, osm-talk list and blog asking folks to contact non-agreers in their local areas and then start any remapping that they can do.  This should happen within two weeks.  osm-talk moderators are cool that this will be an on topic discussion with only legal-nitpicks sent to the legal list.  Specifically, discussion and requests for help about remapping should be judged on-topic.

7. Feedback from legal counsel on GPX tracks and bot changes

Response from counsel received. We would like to get advice from other legal jurisdictions before taking a formal position.


- Countries where data collections is not officially allowed (China, India, …)

Not discussed.

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Jan 31st 11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 19:00 UTC / 19:00 GMT(UK) / 20:00 CET