August 30, 2011
WEB DESIGN Textbook Assignment POINTS: 10
Chapter 2: Web Publishing Fundamentals
PART 1. Definitions: Briefly define the following terms:
chunked text Points out the main points and is easily scanned.
primary colors Red, yellow, and blue.
secondary colors Orange, green, and purple.
warm colors Yellow, orange, and red.
cool colors Green, blue, and purple.
complementary colors Color’s that are directly across from each other on the color wheel.
RGB color scheme Combinations of red, green , and blue color channels.
bandwidth The quantity of data that can be transmitted within a time frame.
monitor resolution Is the measure of the monitor’s sharpness and clarity.
pixel A single point in an electronic image.
phishing The fraudulent collecting of users information.
spoofing Creating a fraudulent version of a site, masking its URL.
liquid layout The use of HTML layout tables or CSS to create resizable Web pages.
copyright Is the ownership of text or images.
encryption The process of encoding data into illegible content.
decryption The removal of encryption.
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) Safeguards and encrypts information traveling the Web.
cookies Small text files that are stored on a visitors hard drive.
WAI (Web Accessibility Initiative) Assures special needs users access to the Web.
PART 2 Questions: Answer each of the following briefly, but completely.
1. Describe these basic design principles with regard to web pages:
2. List and describe four advantages of web publishing over print publishing:
1. Currency-Quicker and less expensive.
2. Connectivity-ability to instantly distribute.
3. Interactivity-allows consumer to blog, or comment.
4. Easier to update.
3. List and describe three guidelines for effective writing for the web:
1. Use language that is straight forward, contemporary, and educated.
2. Headings should relate Web content.
3. Make it easy to read and well organized.
4. Why should you avoid underlining text in a web page? Because Web links are underlined.
5. List and briefly describe six different web design jobs which may be found on a web design team:
1. Content writer-writes and revises the text that visitors read when they visit a Web site.
2. Web page designer-Converts text, images, and links into Web pages using tools such as markup languages; CSS; and text, HTML, and WYSIWYG editors.
3. Web artist/graphics designer-Creates the original artwork for the Web page or site.
4. Multimedia producer-designs and produces animation, digital video, and audio, and other media elements to include in a Web site.
5. Web programmer-uses scripting languages to create interactive and dynamic Web pages.
6. System architect-determines the structure and technical needs required to build, maintain, and expand the Web site.
6. What is the “web-safe palette” and how many colors are in it? There are 216 of 251 colors displayed by an 8-bit monitor.
8. Search for each of the following on wikipedia and give a brief description of each:
9. From the WEB COLORS Wikipedia page, look for the hex triplet color system: