Book Moodle ISU
The Book allows you to give information to your students in a multi-page, book-like format.
This guide will help you to:
- Create a Book
- Modify a Book
Create a Book
To create a Book:
- Turn Editing On. For more information, see the Moodle ISU Overview.
- In the topic where you wish to add the book click Add an activity or resource.
- In the popup window, Select Book from the list of resources.
- Click Add at the bottom of the screen.
- Type the name of the book in the Name field. This will display to the students on the course homepage.
- In the Description field, Type a description of the book or any other information you would like students to see.
Note: if you wish to have the description displayed to students on the homepage, check Display description on course page.
- Chapter formatting - lets you decide how you would like your chapters to be formatted.
- None - Chapter and subchapter titles are not formatted at all.
- Numbers - Chapters and subchapters are numbered (1, 1.1, 1.2, 2,…)
- Bullets - Subchapters are indented and displayed with bullets.
- Indented - Subchapters are indented.
- Custom titles - check this box if you want to display chapter titles automatically.
Common Module Settings
This section sets how the activity uses groups and manual grade calculations. For more information on groups and groupings, see Groups and Groupings. For more information on manual grade calculations, contact ITRC.
Restrict Access and Activity Completion Options
For more information on restricting access, see Conditional Release, or contact ITRC.
Modify a Book
To modify your book:
- Click on the book you wish to edit.
- Turn Editing on in the administration block.
- Locate the TABLE OF CONTENTS block at the top of the page.
- Arrow icon: The arrow icon allows you to move chapters up and down in order.
- Gear icon:The Gear icon lets you edit a chapter’s content and titles, as well as make it a subchapter.
- ‘X’ icon:Click the ‘X’ icon to delete a chapter.
- Eye icon:Click the Eye icon to hide a chapter from the students. The chapter will be lighter to teachers indicating the chapter is hidden.
- ‘+’ icon:Click the ‘+’ icon to add a new chapter or subchapter.
To add a chapter or subchapter:
- Click on the ‘+’ icon
- Type the chapter title into the Chapter title text box
- Type the content into the Content text box
- Click on the Subchapter box if you want to make this page a subchapter.
- Click on the Save Changes button when finished.
Note: You can add numerous chapters/subchapters.
Hot Tip: You can navigate from chapter to chapter with the Arrow icons on the upper and bottom right side of the book.
For more information, see Book Settings.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.