Questions from the Bath Girl Geek’s Christmas 2012 quiz
1. After a gigabyte comes i) terabyte ii) megabyte iii) byte iv) kilobyte
2.What does MP3 mean? i)Media Player 3 ii) Nothing in particular iii) Microsoft player 3 iv) MPEG audio layer 3
3. What does HTML stand for?
4. What mythical creature is likely to turn up on Twitter and in forums or newsgroups?
5. Who is considered to be the first computer programmer? i) Ada Lovelace ii) Alan Turing iii) Bill Gates iv) Tim Berners-Lee
6. Over the course of the year court cases between Apple and Samsung relating to patent breaches have been played out across the world. What was the outcome of the UK court hearing on 9 July?
8. Disney recently and controversially took over the production of Star Wars. How much did Disney pay for Lucasfilm? i)£2bn ii)£2.5bn iii)£8m iv)£2.5m
9. What reached over 500 million view on YouTube last week?
10. What baby name made recent headlines?
11. What is scheduled to happen on 21 December 2012?
12. Who has been known as the following: Calvin Klein, Clint Eastwood, and Darth Vader
13. Which two well known businessmen recently got into an online spat over wind farms? Bonus point if you can name the political aide who joined in.
14. Which actor played Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network?
15. On a Monopoly board, which street shares the same colour as Leicester Square and Piccadilly?
16. Which member of the Beatles leads the way on the front of the Abbey Road album cover?
17. How many points is the letter J worth in a game of Scrabble?
18. Who made the catchphrase ‘correctomundo’ famous?
19. At what temperature do both the Farenheit and Celsius scales have the same value?
20. What was the first Disney animated film that wasn’t based on an already existing story?
21. The song ‘Mary’s Boy Child’ reached number one twice in the UK charts. Can you name one of the acts who performed it, and were they first or second to do so?
22. Which elusive piece of technology was the most popular Christmas gift in 2006? i.) Nintendo DS ii.) Xbox360 iii.) Playstation 3 or iv.) iPod Touch
23. Which planet in our solar system is second closest to the sun?
24. What modern day, much-used website was originally a dating site called ‘Tune in hook up’?
25. Gangnam Style recently became the most viewed video on YouTube with over 930m views. Which video held the record before Gangnam Style?
26. At the beginning of this week, who was the most followed person on Twitter with 32m followers?
27. Facebook announced in October that it has one billion monthly active users. What is the name of the controversial new feature the website introduced for users of a particular status this autumn?
28. What is the most widely used search engine in China?
29. In the hit viral online video ‘Charlie bit my finger’ what is the name of the bitten brother?
30. Google has launched the top search terms used by the UK this year. Which of the following terms was not in the top five?
- Euro 2012
- Gangnam style
- Kate Middleton
- Whitney Houston
- Olympic tickets