A Recipe by magsandlou.blogspot.com
Homemade Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1-6oz canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t ground pepper
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t low sodium worcestershire sauce
- 1 T yellow mustard
- 1 T brown sugar
- Brown ground beef/turkey.
- Combine olive oil, minced garlic, onion, red pepper and celery in medium sauce pan. Cook on low to medium heat until it becomes fragrant (about 3 minutes).
- Drain ground beef/turkey and set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients to vegetable mixture. Simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef/turkey and enjoy!
I served mine on hamburger buns. You could also do them open faced with sliced cheese. I also think it would be really good on a baked potato with cheese and sour cream! Yum.