STATE COLLEGE COMMUNITY THEATRE
POSITION: PRODUCTION STAFF -- CHOREOGRAPHER
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR, MUSIC DIRECTOR
To provide choreographic direction for a theatrical production
- Provide choreographic direction for a theatrical production
- Prepare for and conduct open auditions and participate in the casting session on the dates determined by the Board of Directors along with Director and Music Director
- Assure continuity between the choreography of the production and the Director’s concept for the production
- Assure that choreographic needs are coordinated with the concepts of the Designers
- In consultation with the Director and Music Director, determine which musical numbers require choreography
- In consultation with Director and Music Director, develop rehearsal schedule with Stage Manager, Schedule must comply with SCCT rules regarding rehearsals. The Producers must approve any exceptions
- Develop choreography for all assigned musical numbers. Conduct dance rehearsals with cast. Conduct joint music/choreography sessions with Music Director and/or Conductor as necessary
- Assist with the load-in of the show
- Attend all technical/dress rehearsals and production meetings
- Maintain Choreographer responsibilities throughout run of show
- Designate dance captain(s) who will provide physical warm-up for cast prior to rehearsals and performances, and who will assist in the maintenance of dance quality during the performance run
Minimum: Previous dance and/or choreography experience
Preferred: Strong background/professional experience in dance and/or choreography, especially for musical theatre
- Production Staff
- Dance Captain (if applicable)
Ability to effectively communicate with cast, production staff, production assistants, Board of Directors, and general public in timely, efficient and respectful manner.
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, community theatre environment composed of volunteers and professionals of varying ages and levels of talent.
- High standards of integrity
- Good organizational skills
- Effective computer skills
- Skill in caring for detail and accuracy
- Must have Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse History) and Act 34 (Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Check) clearances
- The Choreographer is expected to enforce and follow the rules and regulations established by the Board of Directors as well as to promote the educational mission of SCCT
- Salary: $100 per production to be paid on closing night of the production
- Benefits: 2 Complimentary Tickets
- If someone fulfills multiple roles of the production team, they get the largest stipend as listed and any additional stipend at half of the listed rate.
- If the Choreographer leaves the production during the rehearsal period, the honorarium may be forfeited or reduced at the discretion of the Producers in consultation with the Board of Directors.
Performance of this job will be evaluated by the co-producers and Board of Directors after each production. The Board of Directors reserves the right to survey cast and production staff members for feedback following a production.