Makes 1 loaf
* 1 cup non-dairy milk
* 6 Tb vegan margarine ( I used Earth Balance )
* 1 packet dry active yeast or 2 1/2 tsp
* 2 Tb grounded flax seeds, dissolved in 6 Tb water
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 2 Tb cinnamon
* 1 Tb vegan margarine, for brushing
* about 2 Tb vegan margarine, for greasing the loaf pan
1. In a small saucepan, melt the margarine with the milk until warm but not boiling. It should be at about 115 F. Sprinkle yeast over the top, gently stir and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, mix together the sugar with the flax seeds until well combined. Pour the milk/margarine/yeast mixture and stir to combine. Add half the flour mixture and beat until combined. Add the rest of the flour and beat to combine.
4. Switch to the dough hook and allow it to knead for about 10 minutes. If the dough is still too sticky, add another 1/4 cup of flour and knead for another 5 minutes.
5. Drizzle a little canola oil in a medium sized mixing bowl, then toss the dough in the oil to coat. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and set in a warm place for at least 2 hours.
6. Turn the dough onto a work surface and roll it out to a rectangle no wider than the loaf pan and about 18 inches long. Smear 2 Tb of melted margarine. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together, then sprinkle evenly over the buttered dough.
7. Starting at one end, roll the dough toward you, keeping it neat and tight. Pinch the seam to seal.
8. Smear your loaf pan with butter. Place dough, seam side down, in the pan. Cover with a damp towel and allow it to rise for another 2 hours in a warm place.
9. Preheat oven to 350F. Brush the top of the loaf with 1 Tb of melted margarine and bake for 40 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Slice and serve!