Date: 10:40M - 12:10PM, March 11, 2012
Place: Berkey Hall 112A
- Wang Ping, Gao Bin, Wu Lingling, Shi Jing, Yi-tian Zhuang, Shan Sweitzer, Xia Qing
- Responsibility, Expertise, and Leadership
- New Team!!!
- Start planning for next semester/next academic year
- Clarify the responsibility of each team member
- Initialize the discussion on the issues we are facing
- Self-introduce (name, expertise, Chinese school experience and expectation, children and family, and so on)
- Team name: administration team, instead of board.
- Teachers, classrooms and books
- 10-11 teachers
- ~11 Class rooms are borrowed from MSU
- Books are ordered from official webiste after the approximate # of students determined.
- We are a tax-exempt non-profit organization. We are registered with the federal and with the state. We need to renew our registration and file tax return annually. Currently, the principal is responsible for these actions. We can ask a CPA to help us with reviewing tax returns.
- We may raise fund legally (ex. SCRIP)
- Our goal is to provide an environment for the students to learn Chinese, raise Chinese culture awareness and be proud of it, and help them building confidence
- 5 primary areas (accounting, teaching, web, school activity, and researching)
- Accounting: bookkeeping, managing monthly payroll & tuition, financial planning, monitoring, advisory and reporting, working with CPA for tax if needed
- Web management: Managing website and mailing list
- School activity: Organizing activities such as parties, summer camps
- Teaching: Tasks directly related to Chinese learning, such as working with teachers, researching classrooms
- Researching: Education work not directly related to Chinese learning in classroom, but work very closed with Teaching
- how we work together (communication)
- Each team member will be in charge of the area of his/her specialty, and will lead the rest in this area.
- Promote team communication
- All discussions should be on issues, instead of on persons
- Every team member will make his/her plan for the next semester. Then individual working calendars will be merged together and compiled into a general calendar, which would be distributed to everybody.
- By August 1, 2012, each team member must make his/her plan on calendar
- The team will communicate through mailling list “MSU Chinese School Administration Office email@example.com”. Team members will send emails to the office mailling group so everybody will be in the loop. As of now, it appears we can only log into the mailling list through a google account. We plan to set up emails through msuchineseschool.org to give everybody access.
Leadership and Communication
- everyone contributes, leads the team, especially in her/his area
- voting, at least some kind of response for oncoming issue, for example, disagree, agree, don’t care, don’t know
- We need to have open communication. It’s important to have your voice heard by the rest of the team.
- The board is constituted mainly of past Chinese school principals. We need to get the board more involved with the school, to formalize the interaction between the board and the administration team. The board will raise suggestions to the team and the team will report to the boad.
- The vice principal will take the role when the principal is absent.
- The vice principal will be the next principal following the principal’s 2-year term.
- With more students from grade 7 moving up to AP/SAT class, the AP class next year would have students with different grade levels 8-10. This may impose challenge to the AP/SAT teacher. However, if we divide the students into difference classes, we may not have enough students for the class and we would incur additional cost. So we decide to keep the class as it is. It would be taught following AP requirement regardless the level of the students.
- Non-Chinese class (class 1-2)
- For 1st grade, we currently have two classes: the Chinese speaking and Non-Chinese. Non-Chinese class (7-8 kids) is taught in English by Du, Miao. If we move the students to the Chinese speaking class next year, they may not be able to keep up. We will keep the existing class, and move the entire class up to the next level. This new class will still be taught in English by Du, Miao. For the next year, if there are enough Non-Chinese students, we’ll open a new class.
- Kindergarten will teach Pinyin. We only accept students aged 5 and above
- Teacher's meeting and check if they are going to work for our school next academic year
- Forms will be posted on line for the teachers to fill in their information (name, phone, address, email, current grade and preferred grade to teach) for the office to keep track
- The teachers should provide the office their course descriptions and their goals.
- HR process (hiring, and W-9/I-9)
- We pay teachers as contractors and provide 1099-MISC if total exceeds 600.
- The teachers should be able to work legally and the principal need to keep track of their identity, SSN etc.
- Tuition policy (withdraw and late enrollment)
- The refund policy will posted on the web
- Starting from next semester, regardless of late enrollment or withdraw, the net payment from the student will be ($20 processing fee)+(rate per class)*(# of class attended)
- $20 processing fee for each request
- We plan to begin Fall semester 2012 registration early so we can get a better idea about enrollment and classroom requirement
- The parents will be notified at the end of the semester.
- The tentative deadline is August 1st, 2012
- To borrow class room from MSU, we need to have a student organization registered with MSU. The organization needs to have a president, a vice president and a treasurer, all MSU students. The registration needs to be renewed every year in August.
- For fall semester, class rooms need to be borrowed during summer vacation (~August); for spring semester, they need to be borrowed during fall semester final period
- It usually takes about 2-3 weeks (?????): First, submit the Activity Planning Form to Student Services; Then email approval to Physical Plant and wait for their notice; After getting the notice, go to Student Services for final approval
- Wang Ping will help us to borrow classroom for next semester. We also need to figure out who can be a backup for this work.
- substitute teacher policy (like the pay rate, notification, process, etc.)
- We need to reserve some substitute teachers. Substitute teacher will have the same pay rate as a new teacher.
- Zhuang Yitian will propose a policy for this.
- Tuition Wavier program
- Reimbursement process: The person asking reimbursement will contact the principal for approval; principal will email the approval to accounting department; the accounting department will process the reimbursement.
Accounting (Zhuang Yitian)
- Annual report and forecast/projection: See Yitan’s report for details
- ~10k in 9-month CD
- Plan ahead for year-end activity: year-end party, certificates for students and teacher bonus
- For teachers who have taught classes before: $50/class
- For new teachers: $45/class
- Substitute teachers will be paid using the same rate as new teachers
- The teachers should notify the office beforehand if they cannot come to a class. A policy procedure needs to be set up for this.
- Class expense (gift and office expense):
- We don’t need to pay rents for the classrooms. But we do need to pay ~$250/month cleaning fees for the ~11 classrooms + $5 service maintenance fee.
Web (Wu Lingling)
- We have four mailing lists: Adminstration office, Teachers, Note and the general list.
- Everybody can subscribe or unsubscribe to the general mailling list through MSU Chinese School website. http://msuchineseschool.org/index.php/mailing-list/
- To subscribe to the other lists, mail master will send an invitation first and the user will follow the instruction in the invitation email.
- We plan to set up emails for different department and use these generic emails instead of private emails in the future
- All important information, refund policy etc., will be posted on MSU Chinese School website. All important policies will be maintained on the web.
Teaching (Wang Ping)
- Outreach Chinese program
- Chinese Book Library
Others (idea, suggestion, and so on)
- Chinese Contests
- Summer Program: we need to research on location (space reservation: borrow from school district?), duration (1-2 week), regulations (safety issues), focus groups, programs and how many students are interested.
- Certificate: It doesn’t need to be very formal. Certificates will be awarded to students at a ceremony at the end of the school year. The ceremony will be held during the year-end party.
- Year-End Party: Will be held in Lake Lansing Park in May.
- Internship: Students from higher grades can help with lower grades. We need parent permissions for that.
- Teaching experience exchanges: We can have a meeting for the teachers to exchange experiences, and get feedback from them
Next Meeting ???