Quiz: Importing Questions from TestGen, EZTest and ExamView Question Bank
If your textbook came with access to TestGen, EZTest or ExamView, you can import the questions into the Moodle ISU question bank.
If you have received access to question banks that do not use TestGen, EZTest or ExamView please contact the ITRC. The ITRC will look at the question bank and help you find the best process for importing those questions.
This guide will help you to:
- Exporting the questions from TestGen, EZTest or Examview
- Download the conversion program
- Convert the TestGen, EZTest or ExamView file
- Import the questions into your question bank
Exporting the questions from TestGen, EZTest or Examview
Exporting the questions from each program is slightly different. You will want to follow the instructions for your program for creating a test. It is good practice to create a test for each chapter or topic. If you would like all the questions from a specific chapter, you can create a test with all the questions from that chapter or topic.
- Create a test according to the process for your test generator.
- Export the test using the option below
- TestGen: export as Blackboard 6.x-9.x
- EZTest: export as BlackBoard
- ExamView: export as either Blackboard 6.0-7.0 OR Blackboard 7.1+
- You will need to remember which option you select for ExamView
- Save the file on your computer. You will need to remember where you saved it.
Note: The file you save will be a zip file. You DO NOT want to unzip the file.
Download the conversion program
You will need to download and install a small conversion program.
- Go to http://www.nashcc.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=657
- Click on Click here to download Moodle XML Builder
- The program should download automatically. Once the download is complete you will need to install the program.
- Open the file and follow the onscreen instructions to install the program.
Convert the TestGen, EZTest or ExamView file
You will use the Moodle XML Builder program to convert the files.
- Open the Moodle XML Builder program
- Select the file type for your test generator program.
- Click on the Top Folder Icon.
- Browse to find the file you saved on your computer.
- Select the file.
- Click the Open button.
- You will now see the file listed in the top box and what the new file will be named in the bottom box.
- Click the Start button.
- When the conversion is complete you will hear a beep and the file name boxes will be empty.
Note: The new Moodle XML file will be saved in the same location where the test generator file was located.
Import the questions into your question bank
- In your Moodle ISU course, in the Administration block, Click on the triangle next to the Question bank option to reveal more options.
- Click on the Import option. This will take you to the Import questions from file page.
- In the File format section, Click on the Moodle XML format option.
- Scroll down to the Import Questions From File section.
- Click on the Choose a File…button to open the file picker and browse for the file or Drag and Drop the file into the box.
- Click on the Import button.
- The next screen will show that the questions and answers have been imported into Moodle ISU.
- If the process encounters any errors, you will see an error notice or you will see only a portion of your questions imported. If you have an error, please contact the ITRC.
- Click on the Continue button. This will take you to your Question Bank where you can view the new questions.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.