Seasonal Soup with Vegetables
Serves 6 to 8
* 3 Tb extra virgin oil
* 1 cup sliced red onion
* 4 cloves minced garlic
* 3 pounds shredded mixed greens ( any mixture of spinach, collard greens, turnip greens, red and green cabbage leaves and Brussels sprouts )
* 8 cups vegetable stock
* 2 15 oz cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
* 2 15 oz cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 tsp salt
* Pinch of cayenne
* Pinch of ground thyme
1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add sliced onions and garlic and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
2. Add greens, a handful at a time. Stir until wilted before adding next bunch.
3. Add the stock, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, cayenne and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
4. Taste for seasoning. Greens should be tender and slightly spicy. Add just enough salt to enhance flavors.