Debate Motions 2011-2012
Red Sea Open, Israel, September 4-7
- R1: THW ban the payment of ransoms
- R2: THW force elected politicians and their families to use only public health and education services
- R3: THW mandate the use of condoms in porn
- R4: THW prosecute violent fouls in sports as criminal assault
- R5: Actually, THW rather see one innocent man go to jail than a 100 guilty men walk free
- R6: THBT natural resources should belong to the world and not to any individual country
- Semis: THBT a universal minimum standard of education is a prerequisite for democracy
- Finals: THBT consent is not a source of moral legitimacy
World Russian Language BP Championships, Kyrgyzystan, September 17-20
EU-China Youth Debate Tournament, Beijing, September 23-28
- R1: THBT EU membership should not be determined on the basis of geographic criteria
- R2: THBT media company owners have the right to influence the nature of news
- R3: THBT China should abolish the “Gaokao” in favour of allowing universities to establish their own (admission) criteria
- R4: THBT during riots it is legitimate for governments to deny access to social networks
- QF: THBT a Chinese Marshall Plan should be initiated to save the Euro
- SF: THW demand international corporations operating in China to uphold the same environmental standards required in their home country
- F: THBT Mandarin should be taught as the primary second language in all EU schools
Dutch Pro-Am Tournament, AUC Amsterdam, October 1
- 1. THW make parents pass a test before having children
- 2. THW halt all development aid to countries that punish homosexuality
- 3. THW allow the police full and unrestricted access to Facebook and other social media
- 4. THW ban corporate sponsorship of academic research
- FINAL. THW allow convicted criminals the choice between their sentence and the same number of years of weekly corporal punishment
Kiev Open, Ukraine, October 1-2
(theme of peace and non-violence)
- R1 THBT there should be no limit on self-defence against violent crimes
- R2 THW ban parades and demonstrations that could incite a violent response
- R3 THBT the UN should offer large bounties for the capture of pirates and the destruction of pirate ships
- R4 THW ban all religions from actively seeking conversions
- R5 THBT America and the EU should cease all financial, political and military aid to both Israel and the Palestinian Authority until they reach a peace deal
- Semi THW ban political parties that propagate racism and xenophobia
- Final THBT even in an oppressive state, citizens should not turn to violence as a means of opposition
Edinburgh Cup, Scotland, October 8-9
- R1 THW ban nuclear energy
- R2 THW abolish the British Monarchy
- R3 THB the UN should immediately recognise and independent state of Palestine
- R4 THW cease all austerity measures in favour of a massive increase in government spending
- Semi: THW start a marxist revolution
- Final: THB the world is a safer place since the collapse of the USSR
Masters, the Netherlands, October 15 (translated)
- R1: THW give Parliament the right to determine the moment a monarch steps down
- R2: THW deny Greece the Euro (or: THW kick Greece out of the Eurozone)
- R2: THW remove the right to religious freedom from the constitution
- Final: THW help countries with the death penalty to implement it humanely
UCL President’s Cup, England, October 15
SOAS IV, England, October 22-23
- R1 THW give harsher punishments to those who commit crimes during riots
- R2 THW have minimum quotas for different ethnic groups living in public housing estates
- R3 THBT serving military generals should be prohibited from talking to the Media
- R4 THBT the Indian Government Should Ban marriage between Members of the Same Caste
- R5 THW create a free market for the sale of babies
- Quarter THBT Mexico Should Legalise the Sale, Production and Transit of all Drugs
- ESL semi THW allow constituents to recall their elected representatives
- Semi THW end all subsidies for small farms
- ESL final THBT the countries of former Yugoslavia should create a common history curriculum and textbooks
- Final TH regrets the extra judicial killing of Colonel Gaddafi
Irish Times Debates First Round
(30th October - November 12)
- Heat 1 “THW cut all foreign aid in times of recession”
- Heat 2 “TH is Disgusted by 'Toddlers and Tiaras' and other Child Beauty Pagants”
- Heat 3 “THB it's High Time the Monarchy was Abolished”
- Heat 4 “THB Manchester City and Teams of their Ilk are Ruining Football”
- Heat 5 “THW give Extra Leaving Cert Points for Extra Curricular Activities”
- Heat 6 “THW use Military Force to Remove Kim Jong Il from Power Immediately”
- Heat 7 “THB that Barack Obama's Presidency has been a Success”
- Heat 8 “THW Abolish the Minimum Wage”
- Heat 9 “THB it's Abhorrent for Western Countries to Employ Doctors from the Third World”
- Heat 10 “THW Introduce Mandatory Paternity Leave”
- Heat 11 “THB Norris was/is the Right Choice for President of Ireland”
- Heat 12 “THB Wireless Internet Access Should be a Right not a Privilege”
- Heat 13 “THW Force People to take a Mandatory Civics Test before Voting in National Elections/Referendas”
- Heat 14 “THB the IOC Should Ban Drug Cheats for Life”
- Heat 15 “TH Regrets the Demise of the Green Party”
- Heat 16 “THW Remove all Catholic Control of Public Education by the End of the School Year”
UCD Novice Cup, Ireland, October 27
UCD VP, Ireland, October 28-29
- R1 THW outsource the capture of elusive criminals to bounty-hunters.
- R2 THBT Ireland should create constituencies, elected by people who emigrate from Ireland
- R3 THW grant aboriginal peoples copyrights over depictions of their culture.
- R4 THW allow the families of dead people to sue for libel on their behalf
- R5 THBT it is legitimate for politicians to lie to the electorate about their real views.
- Semi : THW grant minors the right to euthanasia regardless of parental consent.
- Final: Regardless of the relative efficiency of various economic systems, THBT meritocracy is a just way of allocating resources.
NAMDA Novice, England, October 29
- R1: THW Only Imprison Criminals Who Threaten the Safety of Citizens.
- R2: THW End Fiscal Austerity and Increase Government Security on Education, Health and Infrastructure.
- R3: THBT Israel was Right to Negotiate the Release of Gilad Shilat.
- R4: THW Ban the Production and Consumption of Meat.
- R5: THW Allow Doctors to Lie to Patients in Order to Use the Placebo Effect (not sure of wording)
- Final: THW Ban Porn
Bath IV, England, October 29
Imperial College Open, England, October 29
- R1: THBT the media should not report the declared motivations of protesters who use violence
- R2: THBT emerging democracies should limit their presidents to a single term in office
- R3: THW not contact, trade or otherwise engaging with uncontacted Yanomami communities in the Amazon forest
- R4: THW disband the BBC
- Final: The House does not regret the invasion of Iraq.
UCU Open, the Netherlands, November 4-5
- R1 THBT the USA should stop its military support of Taiwan
- R2 THBT the state has a duty to provide free, unlimited and uncensored access to the Internet at every home
- R3 THW legalise all forms of hatespeech
- R4 THW still pronounce a verdict for civil cases which have been settled out of court
- R5 THBT each country has a duty to limit population growth
- Semi You are the commander of an Israeli submarine in the Persian Gulf. It is the day after Israel was annihilated in a surprise Iranian nuclear attack: THW not use Israel's second strike capabilities
- Final THW halt all state-sponsored efforts to integrate immigrants into society
Newcastle IV, England, November 4
Durham IV, England, November 5-6
- R1 THB the police should not create perp walks.
- R2 THW teach boys those aspects of subjects which are thought to be most interesting to them, such as military history.
- R3 THW require all newspapers to be constituted as cooperatives, owned and run by journalists.
- R4 Insofar as it is cost effective, THBT authorities should routinely gather and access as much information, including private and personal information, that may conceivably be useful in solving or preventing crime, as possible.
- R5 THW punish NHS workers who do not blow the whistle on malpractice, corruption or negligence, of which they know, as if they had carried out the act themselves.
- Main Break Semi Finals This house would not prosecute people living below the poverty line for purely acquisitive crime.
- Novice Final This house believes it is illegitimate for governments to prevent any peaceful protest in public space.
- Main Break Final This house believes that the media should not use the phrase 'big society' uncritically.
Mostar Pro-Am Training Tournament, Bosnia and Herzegovina, November 5-6
John Smith Memorial Irish Mace Round 1 (November 8 - December 5)
- Heat 1 THW positively discriminate for women in the armed forces
- Heat 2 THW introduce a salary cap for European footballers
- Heat 3 THB The state should financially support newspapers
- Heat 4 THW only hire disabled actors to play disabled characters
- Heat 5 THW abolish JobBridge
- Heat 6 THW set a cap on pay for all chief executives and other high level employees of chartities.
- Heat 7 THW abolish geographical constituencies and hold only national elections
- Heat 8 THW allow people to sell their organs.
- Heat 9 THW give social welfare in the form of vouchers.
- Heat 10 THW abolish all laws prohibiting cruelty to animals
- Heat 11 THW allow parents to remove their children from sex education classes.
- Heat 12 THBT news outlets should not have shown images of Gaddafi’s corpse
- Heat 13 THW dismantle power sharing in the North and elect the Stormont Assembly by PR STV
- Heat 14 THW ban the use, in schools, of literature that reinforces traditional gender roles.
- Heat 15 THW Not outsource the running of hospitals to private companies.
- Heat 16 THW allow police to temporarily suspend social networking sites in the interest of restoring law and order
- Heat 17 THW publicly fund research into paranormal phenomena
- Heat 18 THW Occupy Dame Street
- Heat 19 THW impose a moratorium on home foreclosures
- Heat 20 THW prohibit the release of previously unpublished artistic works, after the death of the creator, author or musician
- Heat 21 TH regrets the popularity of the Twilight series
- Heat 22 THW Would Reintroduce Hard Labour in Prisons
- Heat 23 THW not lie to its children about Santa Claus
- Heat 24 THB that it is in the interests of women’s equality to campaign against maternity leave.
- Heat 25 THW require internet subscribers to opt in in order to be able to view pornorgraphic websites
- Heat 26 That military officers should be allowed to publicly criticise the government
- Heat 27 This House would allow the defendants that belong to a minority group to choose to be judged by a jury composed exclusively of other members of their same minority group.
- Heat 28 THW (assuming the technology existed) implant irremovable tracking chips in its citizens
- Heat 29 THBT Trade Unions do more harm than good for workers
- Heat 30 THBT destruction of private property is a legitimate tool for environmental campaigners
- Heat 31 THW End All State Funding For The Arts
- Heat 32 THW Allow People To Sell Their Organs
Oxford IV, England, November 11-12
- R1 THBT sexual education classes in schools should teach techniques or pure sexual gratification (including but not limited to ...list follows)
- R2 THBT in developing countries aid organisations should be banned from religious proselytyzing
- R3 THW suspend trade unions and labour protection laws in times of economic crisis
- R4 THBT Israel should Materially Support Arab Pro-Democratic Movements
- R5 THW place a special tax on successful artists in order to fund new and developing artists
- Quarter THBT international law should allow states which accept refugees to sue the states they come from for compensation.
- ESL Semi THBT the LBGT movement should not support Gay Pride marches
- Semi THW establish brothels on military bases
- ESL Final THBT the leaders of big world corporations should be democratically chosen by national elections
- Final THW establish geographical zones in which the sale, possession, and use of drugs is legal
Yorkshire Novice Cup, England, November 12
Bogwall, Scotland, November 18-19
- Round 1: This house would ban under 18's from appearing on reality TV shows
- Round 2: This house would ban all space exploration for the foreseeable future
- Round 3: This house would globally create a tax on financial transactions
- Round 4: This house would apply all libel law to content produced on social networking sites
- Final: This house would euthanise all people on their 80th brithday
Cambridge IV, England, November 18-19
- R1: THW allow family members to forcibly commit proven alcoholics and drug addicts to rehabilitation clinics
- R2: THBT all research organizations should institute codes of conduct that forbid the creation of strong Artificial Intelligence (Info slide: A ‘Weak’ Artificial Intelligence is only capable of solving narrowly defined problems. A ‘Strong’ AI is capable of all the same kinds of intellectual tasks as human beings. A Strong AI would be able to reason, plan, learn, adapt, and communicate in natural language. Researchers at major universities have made significant progress towards the creation of Strong AI.)
- R3: THW provide financial assistance to inner city communities to prevent gentrification
- R4: THBT China should make extracting a full apology for Japan’s war crimes a top strategic priority
- R5: THBT feminism should not campaign against polygamy in poor countries
- QF: THW consider the use of conscripts a war crime
- ESL SF: THW take the children of the Amish into care
- SF: TH regrets the rise of a distinct African American culture
- ESL F: THB that it is morally legitimate for Occupy Movement to use violence to undermine capitalist institutions
- F: THW break Google’s search monopoly
IDAS, Slovenia, November 25-27
- Showdebate: THW make voting a use it or lose it right
- Debate 1 THBT state has an obligation to fund the arts
- Debate 2 THBT all countries’ education systems should focus on the teaching of English
- Debate 3 THW allow abortion only in the case of both parents’ consent
- Debate 4 THBT the European experiment has failed
- Debate 5 THBT media in liberal Western democracies is not independent and free
- Debate 6 THW give every citizen a positive and a negative vote in elections
- Debate 7 TH supports the implementation of a global Robin Hood tax
- Debate 8 TH regrets the undemocratic election of Italy’s and Greece’s president
- Debate 9 THBT the EU should make Serbian membership conditional upon Serbia’s acceptance of gay rights
- Debate 10 THBT newly democratised Arab countries should not allow religious parties to participate in elections
- R1: This House believes that the media should show the full horror of war
- R2: This House approves of "hacktivism" against misbehaving corporations.
- R3: THW give transnational EU citizenship to Roma.
- R4: THBT there will be no peace in the Middle East without an independent Palestine.
- R5: THBT war criminals should be put on trial in their home countries.
- R6: THBT states should guarantee legally enforceable socio-economic rights.
- Quarter:THBT Greece should go bankrupt
- Semi: THBT companies should be held liable in their home countries for environmental damage in other countries
- Final: THBT the feminist movement should seek a ban on pornography
Irish Times Round 2, Ireland, November 25 - November 30
- Heat 1 - "THW Remove all State Funding from RTE"
- Heat 2 - "THB if Josef Mengele had Discovered a Cure for Cancer, it'd be morally Acceptable to use it"
- Heat 3 "THW Remove Equal State Suffrage in the United States Senate"
- Heat 4 "TH Supports 'The Right to be Forgotten' (in relation to internet privacy)"
- Heat 5 "THB Enda Kenny's first 9 months as Taoiseach have been a success"
- Heat 6 "THW Allow Organised Fight Clubs"
- Heat 7 "THW Introduce Sex-Affirmative Action for Corporate Executives"
- Heat 8 "THW Abolish Libel"
Cicero Debattoernooi, the Netherlands, November 26 (translated)
- R1: THBT American political parties should hold their primaries nation-wide on one day
- R2: THBT immigration is a good solution to counter an aging population
- R3: THW nationalise the banking sector
- R4: (In 2050 scientists have localised the gen that causes paedophilic tendencies. The gen can be surgically removed/”turned off” without major impact) THW require everyone with the gen to undergo surgery, even if they have never been convicted of a crime
- R5: THW ban all advertising
- Semi: THBT large-scale land redistribution are a legitimate way to combat poverty in the third world
- Final: THW require the ICC to prosecute Netanyahu
ESU England Mace, England, November 26-27
- Round 1: THW allow gifted students to skip years in primary and secondary school
- Round 2: THBT all countries should abandon the fight against climate change and should just seek to adapt to its consequences
- Round 3: (Pre-released motion) THBT all US primary elections should be held on the same day
- Round 4: THB the EU should centrally govern all vital aspects of the economies of heavily indebted eurozone nations
- Round 5: THBT single parents in prison should be provided with special treatment to allow them to raise their young children from behind bars
- Semi-Final: THBT Pakistan should cease all assistance to the United States in the fight against the Taliban
- Grand Final: THW criminalise all forms of racist speech and behaviour, even where it falls short of directly inciting racial hatred or violence
Zeit Debatte Karlsruhe, Germany, November 26-27 (translated)
- R1: Should appeal procedures (Einspruchsmöglichkeiten) against construction projects for renewable energy be cancelled?
- R2: Should the inclusion of disabled children in German schools be stopped?
- R3: Should the NPD be banned?
- R4 (1st in-between round): : Should human rights be cancelled for those persons who violate human rights?
- R5 (2nd in-between round): Should news be censored when it could shake the confidence in the public finances of a Eurozone member?
- Semi: Should the West support the uprising in Syria militarily?
- Final: Do we need a United States of Europe?
Moscow Open, Russia, November 26-27
- R1: THW ban the smacking of children
- R2: THBT one party's maximum share in the parliament should be limited to 50% + 1 place
- R3: THBT eurozone countries that are in danger of default should be forced to give up control over taxation and budget spending in addition to receiving a bail-out.
- R4: THBT legislators should not take the will of the people into consideration, when the reason behind it is religious
- R5: THBT countries should use political leverage to influence judicial proceedings involving their citizens in other countries.
- Semi-final: THBT Russia along with the EU & US should implement a complete trade ban with Iran
- Final: THBT society would be better if the primary duty of companies were to their workers and not to their shareholders
Cork IV, Ireland, December 2-3
- R1: THBT all bail-out packages should be approved by a popular referendum in the recipient party
- R2: THBT the Arab League should impose an oil embargo on the EU until the EU member states lift their ban on the Islamic Veil
- R3: THBT it would be better if Sinn Fein took their seats (in the UK parliament)
- R4: THBT Virginia Tech should remember Seung-Hui Cho, the shooter, along with his victims in its memorials … and launch 33 balloons
- R5: THW allow defendants in criminal trials to ask the judge to be acquitted on the grounds that the law they broke was unjust, and would instruct all juries to take this defense into account
- Semi: THBT the State should give everyone an equal salary, paid for by the government, even if they are unemployed
- Novice final: THBT the State should have no role in the recognition of marriage
- Final: THW refuse war veterans the right to vote
Paris Centrale IV, France, December 2-3
- R1: THBT parenthood should be by license only
- R2: THBT states should actively try to break down internet censorship of foreign regimes
- R3: THBT gay professional sportspeople have a duty to come out
- R4: THBT the European Union should have direct powers of taxation
- R5: THW legalize opium production in Afghanistan
- Semi-final: THBT serial marital infidelity should be a bar to seeking high political office
- Final: THW partition Belgium
Estonian Pro-Am Tournament, Estonia, December 3
- R1: THBT the Russian language should be an official language of Estonia
- R2: THW ban pornography
- R3: THBT political assassination is a legitimate tool for foreign policy
- R4: THW have a maximum wage
- Final: THW stop all measures to prevent suicides
Finnish National Championships, Finland, December 3
- R1: THW break the state monopoly on alcohol
- R2: THW not fund public service broadcasters (like YLE or BBC)
- R3: THBT free health care should cover cosmetic surgery
- R4: THBT Finland should unilaterally pull out of the Euro
- Semis: THW create a common European defence force
- Finals: THW appoint the parliament by lottery
ESU Welsh Mace, Wales, December 3
KCL IV, England, December 3
- R1: THBT High Schools should not award the titles Prom King and Prom Queen at the Senior Prom
- R2: THW Make Substantial Military Service a Condition for Running for the Presidency of the United States
- R3: THBT Facebook, Google, and Yahoo should take active steps to prevent the formation of "filter bubbles"
- R4: THW allow individuals to legally occupy any building that has been unused for more than 6 months
- Semi: THBT the Japanese Government should allow its citizens to form leagues of masked vigilantes to fight the Yakuza
- Final: THBT Courts in Emerging Democracies should break up persistently dominant political parties
Sheffield IV, England, December 3
SSE Riga IV, Latvia, December 9-10
- R1: THBT Western nations should make development aid conditional on the protection of LGBT (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual) rights.
- R2: THBT governments should lie to their populations in time of economic crisis, where the lies are deemed likely to improve the economy.
- R3: THW make any language which is spoken by at least 5% of the population an official state language and offer all state service in that language.
- R4: THBT the US military should destroy Iran's nuclear program.
- R5: THW require all media aimed at children to undermine traditional gender roles
- SF: THW make the US pay reparations to its Muslim citizens.
- F: THBT the time for the United States of Europe has come.
Streitcultur Cup, Tuebingen, Germany, December 9 (translated)
- R1: Fake or Real: Should photoshopped (retouched) images be banned in advertisement?
- R2: Should states that financially support other states in crisis situations get a say in that country’s internal politics?
- R3: Should the concept of household income be abolished for taxation purposes? (Soll das Ehegattensplitting abgeschafft werden?)
- Final: In the name of the people: do we need jury panels in our courts?
Stuttgart IV, Germany, December 10-11
- R1: THW make the right to vote contingent on basic knowledge about political issues
- R2: THBT the EU should limit the amount of energy individuals are allowed to consume
- R3: As a parent, THW not lie to its children about the existence of Santa Claus
- R4: THW allow young boys to undergo chemical castration to preserve their singing voices
- Semi: This house would militarily intervene in Syria
- Final: THW make Drion’s pill publicly available
Lancaster IV, England, December 10
Bristol IV, England, December 10
Birmingham IV, England, December 17-18
Dutch Novice Cup, the Netherlands, December 17 (translated)
- R1: THW enable people to sue their partner for compensation in case of infedility
- R2: THW abolish political parties and only allow election of individuals
- R3: THW set ethnic quota per school
- Final: Situation: you are an unparalelled neurochemist. By accident, you discover a cheap medicine without side effects that can guarantee heterosexuality in unborn children. Motion: You would make your discovery public
De La Salle Worlds, Philippines, December 28-January 4
- R1: THW make fathers take paternity leave.
- R2: THW prevent politicians from making fact claims that, while not technically lies, are substantially misleading to voters.
- R3: THW force large companies who leave an area to pay the costs of any resulting structural unemployment.
- R4: THW require individuals to use all their wealth beyond USD 5 million for philanthropic projects.
- R5: THW require deaf parents to send their children (whether deaf or hearing) to mainstream schools for their primary and secondary education.
- R6: TH supports politicians who pass progressive legislation, even where this is contrary to the wishes of the democratic electorate.
- R7: TH supports the free movement of labour worldwide.
- R8: THW exempt academic disputes from defamation law.
- R9: THW ban all private healthcare in favour of a comprehensive public healthcare system.
- Open octos: THW not allow a single media company to own multiple TV channels or newspapers (whether in print or online).
- ESL quarters: THW limit government ministers’ standard of living to that of someone on the current median wage.
- Open quarters: THBT “Western” consultants advising dictatorships have a moral duty to sabotage them.
- ESL semis: In countries with few female politicians, THB it is good to have a politically active ‘first lady’.
- EFL semis: THBT when doctors discover a patient has STDs, they should reveal that info to the patient’s partner.
- Open semis: THBT images designed to even slightly sexually attract/aroused viewer should be restricted to specialist adult shot/xxx domain.
- EFL final: THBT public education systems should raise the aspirations of children from disadvantaged backgrounds beyond that which is realistic to expect them to achieve.
- ESL final: TH supports scientists who fabricate evidence exaggerating the certainty of man-made climate change, where there is a low likelihood to be caught.
- Open final: TH supports nationalism.
Zeit Debatte Hamburg, Germany, January 13-15 (translated)
- R1: Should pensioners be obliged to do voluntary work?
- R2: Should the 9th of November be Germany’s national holiday?
- R3: Do we need a common European asylum and migration policy?
- R4: Should the debt limit on Länder be abolished?
- R5: Should people with prostheses be allowed to participate in regular sports competitions, even when the prostheses could be considered advantageous?
- Semi: Should research in all German universities exclusively serve civil and peaceful purposes?
- Final: Should the position of national president be abolished?
Nottingham Trent IV, England, January 14
Berlin New Year’s Invitational, Germany, January 20 (translated)
- R1: THBT the Brasilian state should prosecute a murder that happens among one of the uncontacted peoples in the rainforest
- R2: THBT in states where cloning is allowed for research purposes, it should be possible to purchase Chimären (a copy body? genetic material?)
- R3: THW prohibit missionary work that pronounces abstention as the only godly way against the spread of HIV
- R4: THBT the State should put freedom over security in case of doubt
- Final: THBT fathers have the right to get a fatherhood test even against the explicit wish of the mother
Berlin Punk, Germany, January 21-22
- R1: THW make the use of public transport free
- R2: THW forbid celebrities to present their children in the media
- R3: THBT education is a federal matter
- R4: THBT the EU should impose an embargo on countries where child labour exists
- Semi: THBT endangered animal species should not be actively protected
- Final: THBT judges should have the option to sentence people to human trials (medical trials?)
Oxford Women’s Open, England, January 20-21
- R1: THBT religious organisations should be subject to all aspects of civilian law (including, but not limited to: employment practice, adoption policy,...)
- R2: THW require military training to include extensive ethical and philosophical study
- R3:THW vote Republican
- R4: THW legalise S&M
- R5: THB it is legitimate to use violence to defend private property
- Semi: TH, as the UN, would use only private military companies for peace keeping operations
- Final: THW raise its child without gender
London IV, England, January 21
Rotterdam BP Tournament, Netherlands, January 21 (translated)
- R1: THW allow ‘Fight Clubs’ to be founded
- R2: THW give police the same investigative powers as under the anti-terrorism framework when dealing with ‘loverboys’ (men who trick young women into becoming prostitutes)
- R3: THBT the EU should focus all its efforts on the Common Market (should only strive for a Common Market)
- R4: THW oblige prospective parents with a genetic disease to use embryo selection
- Semi: THW suspend all sanctions on North Korea
- Final: THW impose a legal duty of care on adult children for their parents
Trinity IV, Ireland, January 27-28
- R1: THW disclose the ethnicity of a sperm/egg donor to the prospective parent
- R2: THBT goverments should only fund bailouts of other countries if they get permission to do so in a referendum
- R3: THBT the US should give South Korea weapons
- R4: THBT the feminist groups should not campaign against abortion
- R5: THBT the US should pay reparations to its Muslim population for policies carried out in the aftermath of 9/11
- Quarter: THBT Boston College should release the IRA tapes
- Semi: TH whishes that Barack Obama had faced a primary challenge
- Final: THW welcome the downfall of global capitalism
York IV, England, January 27
- R1: THW force broadcasters to display, promote and report women’s sport equally to men’s sport.
- R2: THW allow people to opt in to drugs that have not yet passed clinical trials.
- R3: THW make Georgia a NATO member.
- R4: THW ban the private production of pornography and replace it with state-produced pornography that promotes respect and good treatment for women.
- Semi: THW prevent foreign ownership of significant domestic companies
- Final: THW treat the desecration and destruction of sites of historical or cultural value as a crime against humanity
Irish Mace Debates Round 2, January 24 - February 4
- Heat One: THW remove all hate speech laws
- Heat Two: THW allow “religious duty/compulsion” as a mitigating defense for crimes
- Heat Three: THW ban media reporting on violent crimes
- Heat Four: THW hold parents responsible for the crimes of their kids
- Heat Five: THW make rehabilitation the sole criteria for releasing criminals from prison
- Heat Six: THW ban works of literature/film/music that glorify criminality
- Heat Seven: THW compel priests to report a crime which they learn of through confession
- Heat Eight: TTHW abolish the practice of plea bargaining
- Heat Nine:: THW end the use of prisons
- Heat Ten: THW, in countries where the death penalty is in use, not allow anyone to watch the execution
- Heat Eleven: THW take socio-economic background into account when sentencing criminals
- Heat Twelve: TTHW prosecute domestic violence without the consent of the victim
- Heat Thirteen: THBT post-revolution states should delegate all trials and sentencing of former rulers and high ranking officials to the international community
- Heat Fourteen: THW Elect its Judges Democratically
- Heat Fifteen: THW publish a list of convicted sex offenders
- Heat Sixteen: THW ban alcohol
French Debate Association Tournament Preliminary Rounds, Paris, France, January 26 - March 5
- Heat One: THBT we live in a mediaocracy
- Heat Two: THB in the Holy Trinity: Apple, Google and Facebook
- Heat Three: THBT life begins at 25
- Heat Four: THBT politicians should retire at 65 like everybody else
- Heat Five: THB in freedom at all costs
- Heat Six: THB in a three-day week-end
- Heat Seven: THW blow the whistle
- Heat Eight: THBT physical appearance is a fundamental criterion for good leadership
- Heat Nine: THB politicians should have a sense of humor
- Heat Ten: THBT If You Are Not In Fashion, You Are Nobody
- Heat Eleven: THBT science has replaced philosophy
- Heat Twelve: THBT men build too many walls and not enough bridges
- Heat Thirteen: THBT if it isn't broken, break it
- Heat Fourteen: THW look back in anger
- Heat Fifteen: THBT greed is good
- Heat Sixteen: THBT If It's Not Fun, You're Not Doing It Right.
- Heat Seventeen: THBT the best is yet to come
- Heat Eighteen: THBT stale, pale males still rule
Irish Times Semi Finals, January 31 - February 7
- Semi Final A “THB the Protection of National Identity is a Legitimate Reason to Restrict Immigration”
- Semi Final B “THB in a State of Anarchy”
- Semi Final C “THB Feminism has Run it's Course”
- Semi Final D “THW Vote for Mitt Romney to be the Next President of the United States of America”
Warwick IV, England, February 4
Aghveryan IV, Armenia, February 6
- R1: THW punish sports teams for the criminal and violent behaviour of their fans.
- R2: THW ban foreign citizens from adopting Armenian children.
- R3: THW add a right to internet access to the Armenian constitution.
- R4: THB that the Armenian media does not adequately represent the views and concerns of Armenian society.
- Final: THB that journalism is more effective than political protest in holding governments responsible for their actions.
Bonapartiaans Debattoernooi Amsterdam (BDT), Netherlands, February 11 (translated)
- R1: THW fire civil servants who refuse to wed same-sex couples
- R2: THW ban Martijn, a paedophile association (vereniging)
- R3: THW transform the EU into a United States of Europe
- R4: THW abolish deposit guarantee schemes everywhere
- R5: THW ban imports from countries where workers do not have the liberty to form unions
- Semi: THW abolish patents on computer software
- Final: THW instate a general pardon to asylum seekers who have lived in the Netherlands for five years as a minor, and for their parents/legal guardians if they are currently still a minor
Galway Open, Ireland, February 11-12
- R1: THB It is Illegitimate for the State to Attempt to Instill Morals or Values in Children in Schools
- R2: THW Prosecute Barack Obama for War Crimes
- R3: TH Regrets the Existence of Valentine's Day
- R4: from the view of Iran: THW Build a Nuclear Weapon
- R5: THB the State Should Impose a Maximum Income of €50000, inc benefits, commissions, bonuses, etc.
- Semi: THW ban all technology in the pursuit of the genetic enhancement of humanity
- Final: in the context of The Matrix: THW take the Blue Pill
Cardiff IV, Wales, February 11
- R1: THW create a separate league for athletes who choose to take performance enhancing substances.
- R2: THW require all video games that ostensibly depict realistic combat to adhere to the rules of war
- R3: THW abolish the concept of limited liability
- R4: THW create a separate state where all women and only women can claim citizenship
- Final: Context: You are a young man in Galilee about 2000 years ago. You are charismatic and clever. You have the ability to gain a devoted following. People believe you are the son of God and are able to perform a number of miracles, like food-multiplication and healing. Motion: THW use the influences gained from these abilities and beliefs to propagate socialist values that are justified through faith.
ESU Scottish Mace, Scotland, February 11
Irish Mace Third Round, February 12 - 14
- Heat One: THW allow the families of victims of war crimes to sue the country responsible for reparations
- Heat Two: THW grant amnesty to dictators who voluntarily leave office
- Heat Three: THW Make the directors of multi-national companies criminally responsible for any environmental damage caused by their company in the developing world
- Heat Four: THW refuse to extradite criminals to countries with the death penalty
- Heat Five: THW Never hold major sporting events in countries with ongoing human rights violations
- Heat Six: THW allow the global free movement of people
- Heat Seven: THW believes that it is legitimate for parliaments to delegate sovereignty to the EU without any need for referendum
- Heat Eight: THW use military force to deliver aid in humanitarian crises
Final Irish Times, Ireland, February 17
LSE Open, England, February 17-18
- R1: THW legalise all forms of assisted suicide for mentally sound people
- R2: TH regrets the strong social norms in favour of lifelong monogamy
- R3: THBT western countries should invest primarily in air power rather than ground troops for future military interventions
- R4: THBT the education system should promote equality of outcomes over equality of opportunities
- R5: TH welcomes the advent of extreme genetic enhancements for human beings
- Quarter: info slide: behavioural economics, rival changes in the way choices are presented changes behaviour THBT the state should systematically use subconscious manipulation to nudge citizens towards good choices
- Semi: THBT Western foreign policy should seek to prevent China's acquisition of Africa's natural land and resources
- ESL Final: THBT national governments should aim to depopulate rather than regenerate areas with few viable economic activities
- Final: TH regrets the decline of Marxism in liberal Western democracies
Aberdeen Open, Scotland, February 17-18
- R1: THBT the Gay Rights Movement Should Campaign For The Abolition of Marriage, Rather Than Marriage Equality
- R2: THBT the UK Should Leave The EU
- R3: Info Slide: Scientific research has found evidence that a particular race has an increased genetic risk of developing psychiatric disorders. THBT Journals Should Not Publish The Research
- R4: THBT The Image Of Female Sexuality Depicted By Female RnB Artists In Songs Like, But Not Limited To, Rihanna's Rude Boy Are Empowering.
- Final: THBT It Is Immoral To Vote Republican
Manchester IV, England, February 24-26
- R1: THB India should remove its ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- R2: THW invest in big casinos to rejuvenate economically disadvantaged areas
- R3: THB the Greek Government should reject the latest EU, ECB & IMF bailout agreement
- R4: THB the Gay Rights Movement should oppose Gay Pride Parades in Western Liberal Democracies
- R5: THBT the states of former Yugoslavia should create a unified football league
- Open QF: THBT Vladmir Putin should make a credible public offer to the United States for joint decommissioning of their entire nuclear arsenal
- ESL SF: THBT the Media should not show images of police brutality
- Open SF: THBT film stars, music stars & other popular entertainers should be prohibited from participating in political campaigns
- ESL Final: THW grant automatic asylum to women from countries under sharia law
- Open Final: THBT Western European countries should teach an overwhelmingly negative version of their imperial histories
Glasgow Ancients, Scotland, March 2-3
Budapest Open, Hungary, March 2-4
- R1: THW not imprison those convicted of non-violent crimes
- R2: THW make development aid conditional upon the improvement of women’s rights.
- R3: THW lift the ban on Communist symbols in all post-communist EU member states
- R4: THW only provide state pension to those mentally or physically unable to work.
- Semi: THW ban medicine designed to erase human memories
- Final: THBT violent activities to achieve anti-capitalist aims in Western societies are justified
Nottingham Open, England, March 3-4
French Debate Association Tournament Semi Finals, Paris, France, March 8 and March 13
- Semi 1: THBT a man who dies rich is a man who dies disgraced
- Semi 2: THBT whoever controls the past controls the future.
Vienna IV, Austria, March 9-11
- R1: THW introduce mandatory trips to Nazi concentration camps for Austrian elementary school students.
- R2: This House supports the use of charity rather than state welfare systems.
- R3: This House believes that Russia was justified in vetoing intervention in Syria.
- R4: This House believes that Facebook is justified to censor any of its users' content for any reason it sees fit.
- R5: This House supports the appointment of technocratic governments in Eurozone countries suffering fiscal crisis.
- R6: THB the Israeli Army should adopt a policy of shooting to kill their own comrades where they are likely to be captured.
- Semi: THBT EU countries should promote Christianity and not other religions.
- Final: Given the ability to carry a full term pregnancy in an incubator. THBT humankind should seek to abolish natural pregnancy.
John Smith Memorial Mace Semi Finals, Ireland, March 5, 12 and 13
- Quarter 1: THBT the NAACP should publicly condemn Chris Brown
- Quarter 2: THW ban “My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding”
- Quarter 3: THW abolish the two categories for Best Actor/Actress and Best Supporting Actor/Actress at the Academy Awards and award only gender neutral Oscars for Best Acting and Best Supporting Acting
- Quarter 4: THBT notable LGB figures should not describe their sexuality as a choice
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes IV, St Petersburg, Russia, March 9-11
Leeds Open, England, March 9-10
UL Limerick Open, Ireland, March 9-10
Zeit Debatte Magdeburg, Germany, March 16-18 (translated)
- R1: Should there be a minimum BMI for models?
- R2: Should tax returns (Steuererklärungen) be made public?
- R3: Should we consider the DDR an unjust state?
- R4: Should private pensions be abolished?
- Semi: Should buildings that have been empty/unused for over a year be made freely available for general use?
- Final: Should politicians and diplomats in general no longer hold immunity status?
Debattoernooi Utrecht (DTU), March 17 (translated)
- R1: THW give parliaments the right to appoint an absolute dictator for a limited period of time
- R2: THBT women in the Netherlands are emancipated enough
- R3: TH, being an Italian judge, would convict Berlusconi of abuse of power, corruption and gross negligence and take away all his personal belongings
- R4: THW assume the suspect of a crime to be guilty when the witness(es) in a court case are intimidated or physically abused (approximation)
- Semi: THW not punish people who live below the poverty line for economic crimes they have committed
- Final: TH, being MTV, would publicly denounce acts with lyrics that degrade women or gays and/or glorify violence (approximation)
Debatica IV, Moscow, Russia, March 17
John Smith Memorial Mace Semi Finals, Ireland, March 20 and March 22
- Semi 1: THBT Feminist Groups Should Campaign for a Complete Overhaul of the Economic System
- Semi 2: THBT Feminist Groups Should Actively Recruit Male Spokespeople
Heriot-Watt Open, Scotland, March 24
- R1. THW allow corporations to pay higher salaries to employees who agree not to have children
- R2. "Info slide for Round 2: The congressional black caucus is a voting block within the US congress, claiming to represent a black voice. / Any black congressman may join, but some Republicans do not; it is dominated by Democrats / It has repeatedly rejected membership applications from non-black congressmen" Motion: THBT the congressional black caucus should admit non-black members
- R3. THW establish as a norm of international law that reparations should not be paid after wars
- R4. THW replace income tax with a tax on wealth
- Final: THBT the Scottish Government should allow England to vote in the referendum on Scottish Independence
DCU Open, Dublin, Ireland, March 23-24
- R1: THBT it is morally wrong for companies to base hiring/firing/promotion decisions on info taken from social networking sites
- R2: THW place police in schools that protect them
- R3: THW not (as the USA) support Israel in a pre-emptive strike on Iraq
- R4: THW require companies to have the same environmental and working standards in foreign countries as in their home states
- R5: TH supports the right of parents of mentally disabled children to medically slow or prevent their physical growth
- Final: A zombie infection has broken out, THBT it is morally legitimate to kill uninfected humans to increase your own chances of survival.
Exeter Open, England, March 24
Mykolas Romeris IV, Vilnius, Lithuania, March 24-25
- R1 THW ban beauty pageants for under 16-year olds
- R2 THBT the media should not publish news on suicides
- R3: THW require that Roma children be sent to state boarding schools
- R4: THW ban the use of religious rhetoric in political campaigns
- R5: TH supports the use of bounty hunters in law enforcement
- Semi: TH regrets the influence of YouTube on popular culture
- Final: THW grant asylum to those fleeing from persecution on grounds of sexual violence
French Debate Association Tournament Final, Paris, France. March 26th
- THBT our technology has exceeded our humanity
Dutch Open, the Netherlands, March 30-31
- R1: THW forcibly relocate indigenous peoples where their presence prevents the extraction of valuable resources
- R2:THB that sex education classes should include sexual fetishes with the aim of normalising them.
- R3: THW not allow pre-nuptial agreements
- R4: THB that developing countries should disregard intellectual property rights on life saving/preserving medicine
- R5: This House Would covertly fabricate evidence that politicians who promote demonisation or criminalisation of homosexuality are gay (approximation)
- Novice final: THW make the punishment for crimes of theft inversely proportional to the wealth of the victim (approximation)
- Semi: THW create country quotas for the acceptance of refugees and allow for trade of these obligations
- Final: THW create a Supreme Court to protect future generations from current lawmakers
Schwarzwald Cup, Freiburg, Germany, March 31-April 1 (translated)
- R1: THW found one European elite university
- R2: THW tax meat products (approximation)
- R3: THW take away the special protection of marriage from the law
- R4: THW drink more milk.
- R5: THW oblige all ministeries (state departments) to use only open source software
- R6: THW shrink/make smaller the Eurozone
- Final: THW save Schlecker (a drugstore chain that is bankrupt)
John Smith Memorial Mace Final Ireland, March 30
- THBT Science Is Holding Back Humanity
Kent IV, England, March 31
HSE Open, Moscow, April 7-8
- R1: THBT all teachers should openly declare their sexuality to their pupils
- R2: THW set legally binding minimal physical parameters for fashion models
- R3: THW treat cyber attacks as acts of war
- R4: THW legalize all drugs
- R5: THW not use public money on life-extending medical care for people over a certain age
- Semi:THBT change comes through molotov cocktails, not with a voting ballot
- Final: In the case where human space exploration efforts locate an inhabitable planet, THBT the settlers of that planet should construct a society without private property
Paris IV, France, April 6-7
- R1: THW remove all constraints on companies firing workers
- R2: THW make sportןמע teams whose fans performed violence or severe disorderly behaviour, play their matches in front of a crowd of women and children only.
- R3: TH, as Aljazeera, would have broadcasted the videos of the Toulouse attacks.
- R4: THBT retribution should not be a part of the criminal justice system
- R5: THBT the state should subsidize feminist porn
- Semi: THW ban all research into the genetic origins of homosexuality
- ESL Final:THW make assimilation the primary goal of legislation related to immigrants.
- Final: thw allow the deliberate (!) targeting of civilians in war, where it would significantly reduce casualties in the long term
USU Open, USA, April 13-16
- R1: THW legalize multi-partner marriages for both men and women.
- R2: THW ban private financing of election campaigns.
- R3: TH regrets the Arab Spring
- R4: THW abolish prison sentences for all non-violent crimes.
- R5: THBT the creation of the Eurozone has done more harm than good. INFO SLIDE: The Eurozone is a currency union consisting of EU member states who have adopted the Euro as their common currency. Its monetary policy is administered by the European Central Bank.
- R6: THBT the West Should cease using attack drones in counter-insurgency operations.
- Octo: THW lift all sanctions on Iran that target its nuclear program.
- Quarter: TH regrets the declIne of labor unions.
- Semi: THBT governments should systematically use subconscious manipulation to nudge citizens towards socially desirable choices.INFOSLIDE: There is growing evidence from behavioral economics that seemingly trivial alterations in the way decisions are presented can substantially affect choices. For instance, printing smiley faces on the electricity bills of low-usage households decreases their future electricity consumption. As another example, consumers presented with a list of financial choices are more likely to choose items placed near the middle of the list.
- Final: THBT coming cuts in USA military spending will make the world a better place.
Jacobs Open, Germany, April 13-15
- R1: When paying teachers, THW take into account their students' academic performance
- R2 TH regrets joining Facebook
- R3 THW encourage its citizens to break laws in other countries that violate human rights
- R4: THW pay spouses who stay at home a salary
- R5: TH supports the US's use of military drones in Pakistan
- Final: TH supports campaigns like "Kony 2012”
Science Po Le Havre IV, France, April 13-15
- R1: THW ban racist and extreme nationalist political parties
- R2: THW lift all sanctions on North Korea
- R3: THBT the ICC should offer Joseph Kony an amnesty from prosecution
- R4: THW impose a 75% rate of tax on all earnings over €100000
- R5: THBT all State Schools should actively promote the religion of the majority
- Semi: THBT state policies should actively discourage a consumerist lifestyle
- Final: TH regrets the founding of the European Union
Estonia Open, Estonia, April 19-22
- R1: THW abandon the single European monetary currency
- R2: TH condems racially provocative art
- R3: THW defend Anders Breivik
- R4: THW choose only non religious soldiers to serve in international conflicts
- R5: THW only teach gender neutral pronouns in school
- Semi: THBT current Generation Germans should not pay taxes or any other form of reparations for Nazi atrocities
- Final: THW reject a Western conception of property rights in favour of collective ownership.
Norddeutschen Regionalmeisterschaft, Kiel, Germany, April 21-22 (translated)
- R1:TH calls for a common European army
- R2: THW lift the ban on dancing (Tanzverbot, probably more a general celebration ban) on the “quiet holidays” (Good Friday, Memorial Day and Remembrance Sunday (Totensonntag))
- R3: THW make the ‘morning after pill’ available without doctor’s recipe
- R4: THW cancel the exemption on the 5% vote threshold for national minorities
- Semi: THBT the Olympic Idea has outlived itself
- Final: THW allow audio and video recording of court procedures and the public dissemination of the recordings
Mitteldeutschen Regionalmeisterschaft, Jena, Germany, April 21-22 (translated)
- R1: THW abolish state imposed heritage protection
- R2: There are states which prescribe quota for the number of women in Boards of companies. THW prohibit companies from other states that do not fill the required quota in their Board to participate in public tenders in states with quotas.
- R3: THW limit media coverage of shootings
- R4: When a ship threatens to breach a UN weapons embargo, THW allow all states to stop the ship with the use of force.
- Semi: THBT every person has the right to take pictures of works of art or performances and publish them as their own works of art
- Final: THW allow audio and video recording of court procedures and the public dissemination of the recordings
Süddeutschen Regionalmeisterschaft, Ingolstad, Germany, April 21-22 (translated)
- R1: TH calls for a constitutional right to Internet
- R2: THW mandate the use of condoms in pornoggaphic movies
- R3: THBT a stable dictatorship is better than an unstable democracy
- R4: In case of a zombie-epidemic, THBT zombies have a right to a humane life in special zombie-habitats
- Semi: THBT it would be good for the Catholic Chuch to let the next pope be elected by a vote by all Catholics
- Final: THW allow audio and video recording of court procedures and the public dissemination of the recordings
NK Debatteren, Dutch National Championships, the Netherlands, April 21-22 (translated)
- R1: THBT political parties should not take gender into account when selecting candidates for voting lists
- R2: Situation slide: You are a single British mother with a teenage son and daughter. The UK has recently mandated internet providers to use filters to block pornographic material. The filter can be taken down by a phone call by an adult. You do not watch porn. Motion: You call the internet provider to take down the filter, while your children are present
- R3: THW abolish the tax rebate on mortgage interest
- R4: THW allow the Reclame Code Commissie (Dutch Advertising Standards Authority) to ban advertisements which affirm gender roles
- R5: Context slide:You are Werner Heisenberg, a brilliant physicist. It is June 1942. You have done two years of research into nuclear fission, necessary to build an atomic bomb. You are a patriotic German, but not a nazi fanatic. You cooperate actively with the nazis. You do not know about the Holocaust. Albert Speer, Nazi-minister of armament and munition asks whether it is at all possible to build an atomic bomb and whether Germany can build one in three years. Your calculations indicate both are possible. Your advice is decisive for the continuation of Germany’s nuclear program. Motion: You lie to Albert Speer and tell him the atomic bomb cannot be built.
- R6: THW abolish the income criteria for family reunification (when bringing family members to the Netherlands for permanent settlement, the applicant must have an income significantly higher than the minimum wage)
- Semi: THBT, upon death, every person’s body should revert to the state for scientific use or for organ donation depending on necessity
- Novice final: THBT in countries where abortion is illegal, no exceptions should be made for cases of incest or rape
- Final: THBT every Dutch family with an average or higher income has a moral obligation to take in a foster child (child from foster care)
Israeli Open, Israel, April 21
- R1: TH, which is the West, would sanction China.
- R2: TH, which is the ministry of health, will withhold any information regarding a drug that will ensure the birth of heterosexual children.
- R3: (Information slide) Immediate Democracy is a system in which the voter may change their vote at any given time, thus changing the composition of the parliament on a daily basis according to public support. THW enact an Immediate Democracy.
- SF: THW release inmates from jail solely on the basis of their rehabilitation and not upon the completion of a predetermined period of time.
- Final: (Information slide) You are a young man living in the Galilee 2,000 years ago. You are smart and charismatic. You are capable of collecting and leading a fold of followers. People believe you are the son of God and can do miracles such as healing and food replication. Motion: THW use its influence to disseminate socially progressive values supported by faith.
Southampton Open, England, April 21
International John Smith Memorial Mace Final, London, England, April 29
- This house believes the ICC should use bounty hunters to capture and, if necessary, kill indicted war criminals
Saggsn- Masders, Dresden, Germany, 28-29 April
- R1: THW make Saxon a mandatory foreign language on Saxon colleges (hochschulen)
- R2: THW swap all children after birth
- R3: TH calls for a culture flat tax
- R4: THW give Parliament the right to initiate foreign deployment of the army
- Final: THW grant an amnesty to illegal immigrants
York Open, England, May 5
Zionism Begin Tournament, Israel, May 11 (translated)
- R1: THBT the Israeli MoD museum department should stop all it's funding for sites and museums commemorating the Etzel and Lechi groups.
- R2: THW rather marry a Zionist Shiksa than an Anti-Zionist Jew.
- R3: TH regrets "Aloni Mora" (euphemism for the settlements)
- R4: THW will move the Israeli Capital from Jerusalem to Tel-Aviv.
- Final: THW pay monetary compensation to Sephardi Jews.
Zeit Debatte Munster, Germany, May 11-13 (translated)
- R1: THW ban broadcasting of boxing matches from TV
- R2: THW adjust development aid to countries where gay rights are violated
- R3: THW include paintings by Wolfgang Beltracchis in the collectinos of leading German art museums (this motion was preceded by an infoslide)
- R4: THW declare a trade war against China
- R5: THW instate a public service (öffentlich-rechtliches) system for newspapers
- Semis: THW ban the defamation of religious symbols or authorities
- Final: TH supports the targeted/deliberate killing of Iranian scientists
“Denny Crane” Faculty of Political Science, Belgrade, May 12 (translated)
- R1: This House prefers Guantanamo Bay rather than the current practice of the war against terrorism with unmanned aerial vehicles.
- R2: In the case of a contact with extra-terrestrial beings, this House would send a woman as a negotiator.
- R3: This House would grant one seat in the Parliament to all more significant religions.
- R4: This House would make a number of votes of one voter inversely proportional to his/her personal wealth.
- Semis: This House believe that only people who take the law into their hands can save us.
- Final: This House would never restore the buildings destroyed in the bombing.
Split Union Open, May 18, Croatia
- R1: THW ban single sex schools
- R2: THW disband NATO
- R3: THW make votes public
- R4: THW allow pharmaceutical companies to advertise prescription drugs
- Final: THW create ethnic diversity in neighborhoods by introducing housing quotas
Bruder Grimm Cup, Marburg, May 26-27, Germany (translated)
- R1: THW make football clubs pay for the costs of police surveillance during league matches
- R2: THW block the Security Council as long as the veto power remains available
- R3: THW Vorrunde: THW rewrite the Grimm fairytales in a gender neutral way (Dieses Haus würde die Grimmschen Märchen gendergerecht umschreiben)
- R4: THW require candidates for public office to be psychologically evaluated during their trial period rather than making their psychological illness history public
- Semi: THW allow defendants to choose between a judge or a jury.
- Final: THW allow doctors treating terminally ill patients patients to offer them treatments that are still in the experimental stages
Dutch Mace, May 26, Netherlands (translated)
- R1: THW allow companies to pay more salary to its employees in exchange for not having children
- R2: TH, which is Mabel Wisse Smit (of Orange), would end the life of Prince Friso
- R3: TH welcomes the end of American hegemony
- Final: THW die for its country (literally: die for nation and fatherland)
Iron Man BP Tournament, University College Utrecht, June 2, the Netherlands
- R1: THBT there should be no restrictions on political donations
- R2: THW predicate any humanitarian aid on efforts limiting birth-rates where there’s a risk of overpopulation.
- R3: THBT, rather than after the fact, the judicial system should be able to take pre-emptive measures when there’s a suspicion of hate-speech
- R4: THBT that the Turkish military should stop enforcing the separation between church & state
- Semis: THW practice investment over austerity in times of economic crisis
- Final: THW undertake military action against the Syrian government
German Language Championships, Austria, June 7-10 (translated)
- R1: THW oblige pharmaceutical companies to spend half of their research budgets on illnesses that occur primarily in developing countries
- R2: THW forbid domestic security services to monitor Members of Parliaments
- R3: THW continue the European Football Championships with 16 participating teams
- R4: TH, which is technically capable to do so, would clone Neandertalers
- R5: THW create Eurobonds
- R6: THW not perform any plays of Thomas Bernhard in Austria
- R7: TH supports the foundation of an independent Kurdic state
- Quarter: TH condemns the use of unmanned weapon systems (drones) against human targets
- Semi: THW use geo-engineering to combat climate change
- Final: TH supports large-scale migration from poor to rich regions in the European Union
Bristol Open, England, June 9
Israeli Nationals, MTA College, Israel, June 10-11
- R1: THW compel citizens to vote in national elections
- R2: THW exempt from mandatory military service any Hasid who chooses to work rather than study in a Yeshiva
- R3: TH, which is the Hamas movement, would lay down its arms
- R4: THW decriminalize squatting
- R5: THW introduce mandatory minimum sentences
- R6: THW ban student parties who are backed by national political parties from participating in elections for student unions
- Semi: THW stop providing tactical training and equipment to "neighbourhood watch" groups in Israeli settlements in the West Bank
- Final: TH, which is the Iranian regime, would develop nuclear weapons
Durham Open, Durham, England, June 16-17
Newcastle Mixed Doubles Open, England, June 18-19
KCL Open, King’s College London, England, June 23
Berlin IV, Berlin, Germany, June 29-July 1
R1: THW assasinate Bashar al Assad
R2: THBT schools should teach children from first-generation immigrants in the language of their parents
R3: THBT developing countries should limit rural to urban migration
R4: THW compel the Catholic Church to allow women to serve as priests
R5: TH regrets South Africa’s decision to use Truth and Reconciliation Commisions rather than prosecuting perpetrators of crimes under Apartheid
Final: TH regrets the decline of socialism
Debado Cup Dortmund, Germany, July 7
Earlsfort Open, Dublin, Ireland, July 7-8
Imperial Summer IV, London, England, July 7-8
- R1: THW allow companies to pay a higher salary to employees who contractually agree not to have children.
- R2: THW not imprison people when racist remarks cause offense on social media forums.
- R3: THW prosecute toppled dictators for crimes against humanity in the ICC rather than in a national court or tribunal.
Boddencup, Greifswald, Germany, July 20-22 (translated)
- R1: THBT general education (wide promotion) is better than education/promotion of excellence.
- R2: THW accept Iran as a nuclear power.
- R3: THBT Vorrunde: Dieses Haus glaubt, der demolition of the Palasts der Republik (DDR Parliament) was a mistake.
- R4: THW use only masculine word forms for women and men.
- R5: THW give parliament power to decide over weapons exports.
- Semi: THW charge a (prohibitively) high customs duty on imports of solar cells from China.
- Final: TH, being Socrates, would not drink the cup of poison.
SOAS Open, London, England, July 21
- R1: THW ban religious schools
- R2: THBT Western countries should commit to cancel all debts owed by any authoritarian country upon its transition to democracy.
- R3: THW put Jeremy Deller's piece (of a bombed car) on the plinth ( on Trafalgar Square)
- R4: TH supports a fiscal union for the eurozone
- Final: TH regrets the bombing of Japan in Worldwar II
IDC Porto Debate Camp and Open, Portugal, July 27-29
- R1: THW end all govt funding of the arts
- R2: THBT the media should out gay public figure
- R3: THBT the state should not pay any university students tuition fee
- R4: THBT if he is deemed to be fully rehabilated, Ander Brevik should ultimately be released.
- R5: THBT people should not get married
- Semi: TH supports the use of racial profiling in law enforcement
- Final: THBT capitalism has failed the worker.
Mediterranean Universities Debating Championships, Koc University, Istanbul, Turkey, July 29 - August 3
- R1: THB the state should send all underage overweight children to a summer far camp
- R2: THBT all EU countries should set the bar of entry to their parliament in such a way that would ensure a two party system
- R3: THBT Amercia is justified in keeping the Second Amendment
- R4: You are a western reporter covering the Middle East. You received indisputable and ex
- clusive evidence that Israel is about to launch an attack on Iranian nuclear facilities in the next 24 hours. THW not publish the story
- R5: THB Turkey should abandon all efforts to join the EU
- R6: You are a CEO of a major clothing company and currently pay workers in your factory 1 dollar a day. You are presented with a plan that would give your employees a dignified living wage. This would significantly increase production costs but would not put you out of business. THW implement the plan.
- R7: THBT posing for Playboy is immoral
- Semi: THW heavily incentivise Bosnians, Croats and Serbs in Bosnia and Hercegovina that move to areas where dominant ethnicity is other than their own
- Final: Given the technology, THW burn obedience to criminal law in the brains of all humans
Belgrade EUDC 2012, Serbia, August 5-11
- R1: THBT Parents Should Choose Not To Send their Children to Private Schools
- R2: THW Give First Nations Peoples (eg. Native Americans and Aboriginal Australians) Complete Autonomous Self-Government
- R3: THBT The Music Industry Should Not Facilitate the Comebacks of Artists Who Commit Violent Crimes
- R4: THBT The Mexican Government Should Lift All Limits on the Military and Law Enforcement in the Fight Against Organised Crime
- R5: THBT The ECB Should Unconditionally Buy Government Debt from Struggling Eurozone Economies
- R6: THW Cap the Amount Corporations Can Spend in Any One Course of Litigation
- R7: THW Require the Military to Recruit Soldiers in Direct Proportion to the Socio-Economic Make-up of the Country
- R8: THBT The Palestinians Should Accept Complete Demilitarisation in Immediate Return for A Sovereign State
- R9: THW Let Anyone Take Up Residence in Any Country, Provided They Can Show that They Will Not be an Economic Burden on that Country
- Open Quarter: THBT Republika Srpska Should Secede from Bosnia and Herzegovina
- ESL Quarter: TH Supports Life Sentences Without the Possibility of Parole For Serial Serious Re-Offenders
- Open Semi: THBT Schools Should Aggressively Stream Students According to their Ability From An Early Age
- ESL Semi: THBT The Militaries of Newly Democratised Arab Countries Should Act as Guardians of Secularism
- ESL Final: THW Retrospectively Remove Amnesties Granted to Those Who Committed Crimes As Part of Oppressive Regimes
- Open Final: THW Amend the US Constitution To Prohibit Any Involvement by Religious Organisation in the Electoral Process