Resume, Dennis E. Lembrée
825 Wildflower Ridge Rd.; Wake Forest, NC 27587
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.dennislembree.com
I'm an experienced digital accessibility professional. Much of my career focused on front-end web development with expertise in web standards and accessibility. My skills also include program management, user experience design, and tech writing. I developed a 3-time award-winning web application (Easy Chirp), maintain a popular blog and podcast (Web Axe), and published numerous technical articles. Earlier in my career, I worked in editing, electronic publishing, video streaming, and marketing.
Technical Skills & Practices
- Implementing valid and semantic markup, and concept of "progressive enhancement".
- Web accessibility and usability techniques including code, design, and interaction.
- Server-side scripting such as PHP (and in the early days, ASP Classic and ColdFusion).
- MySQL, Access, and general database design.
- Blog and podcasting development (including WordPress and Confluence platforms).
Projects & Community
- Easy Chirp—Creator/author. Web-accessible Twitter application. Winner of the 2014 FCC Chairman's Award for Advancement in Accessibility, Social Media category. Winner of the AFB 2011 Access Award. Winner of 2009 Access IT @web2.0 Award. Nominated for "Best API Use" in .net magazine's 2010 Best of the Web awards. Twitter: @EasyChirp
- Web Axe—Creator/author/host. Blog and podcast dedicated to web accessibility. Over 20,000 RSS subscribers. Nominated for "Podcast of the Year" in .net magazine's 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best of the Web awards. Twitter: @WebAxe
- Panel Judge for for the SS12 Code-A-Thon finals at 2011 CSUN Conference, March 2011.
- Co-founder of Refresh Detroit, a group of web professionals in Southeast Michigan.
- Member of International Association of Accessibility Professionals (IAAP).
Presentations & Articles
- An Intro to ARIA; Accessibility Camp Bay Area; San Francisco, CA; October 2016.
- Web Accessibility Training for Developers (full day webinar training); INDATA; May 2016.
- Inclusive Design—Beyond the Basics; 31ST Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; March 2016.
- Inclusive Design—Basics Bootcamp; 31ST Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; March 2016.
- PEAT Talks: Easy Chirp; webinar for Partnership on Employment & Accessible Technology (U.S. Department of Labor); July 2015.
- 7 Lessons from Developing an Accessible HTML5 Video Player; 30th Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; March 2015.
- Web Accessibility Training for Developers (full day webinar training); INDATA; December 2014.
- Exploring PayPal’s Bootstrap Accessibility Plugin; Paris Web conference; Paris, France; October 2014.
- Developing a Web Accessible Modal Dialog; Accessibility Summit (online conference); September 2014.
- Introducing an Accessible HTML5 Video Player; PayPal Engineering Blog; September 2014.
- Developing a Web Accessible Modal Dialog; 29th Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; March 2014.
- A Sweet Toggle Switch; PayPal Engineering Blog; January 2014.
- Usability and Accessibility CSS Gotchas; 16th Annual Accessing Higher Ground: Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference; Westminster, CO; November 2013.
- Usability and Accessibility CSS Gotchas; CSS Dev Conf; Denver, CO; October 2013.
- Usability and Accessibility CSS Gotchas; Accessibility Summit 2013 (online conference); September 2013.
- Interactive Elements Within a Grid Layout; PayPal Engineering Blog; May 2013.
- Developing an Accessible Widget with ARIA; 28th Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; February 2013.
- HTML5's ARIA and an Accessible Dropdown Widget; HTML5 Developer Conference; San Francisco, CA; slides; October 2012.
- Web Accessibility Webinar (full day training); INDATA; September 2012.
- How to Build an Accessible Web Application; Boston Accessibility Conference; slideshare; September 2012.
- Networking with Twitter, Part 2: Twitter for Your Small Business; Webinar for Hadley School for the Blind; slideshare March 2012.
- Networking with Twitter, Part 1: Using Twitter and Easy Chirp; Webinar for Hadley School for the Blind; slideshare; March 2012.
- How to Build an Accessible Web Application (Easy Chirp); Webinar at Accessibility DC meetup; slideshare; November 2011.
- Easy Chirp, an accessible Interface for Twitter; EASI Webinar; slideshare; November 2011.
- Popular Mistakes in Universal Web Design (SitePoint article); July 2011.
- Confessions of a Web Accessibility Author, Developer; Keynote Speech at Access U Conference; Austin, TX; May 2011.
- Longdesc & Other Long Image Description Solutions, Part 1: The Issues and Part 2: The Solutions (SitePoint articles); April, May 2011.
- When and How to Visually Hide Content (SitePoint article); March 2011.
- 25 Ways To Make Your Website Accessible (article); January 2011.
- Twitter and Web Accessibility; INDATA Assistive Technology Conference; Indianapolis, IN; slideshare; July 2010.
- Accessibility of Twitter for Mobile, Desktop and Web; 25th Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; March 2010.
- Twitter, Its Uses and Its Accessibility Issues; EASI Webinar; February 2010.
- Twitter and Web Accessibility; Accessing Higher Ground: Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference; Denver, CO; November 2009.
- Accessible Ajax; Accessing Higher Ground: Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference; Denver, CO; November 2008.
Deque Systems (Herndon, VA) [remote]
Senior Accessibility Consultant (Oct 2015—current)
- Perform accessibility assessments for websites and mobile applications of large corporate clients.
- Work with clients' development and design teams to improve accessibility.
- Develop web accessibility remediations for clients via internal tool (Amaze).
- Conducted alpha testing for internal products (Assure).
- Present on digital accessibility at conferences and meetups.
eBay/PayPal (San Jose, CA)
eBay: Senior Product Manager, Accessibility (Nov 2014—Oct 2015)
Coordinate all accessibility efforts at eBay including:
- Write accessibility guidelines for development, design, and content strategists.
- Help develop and maintain Quality Assurance procedures.
- Coordinate and provide training sessions and accessibility “office hours”.
- Coordinate third-party audits; triage accessibility bugs/reports.
- Assist in technical guidance for web accessibility.
- Perform accessibility assessments as needed.
- Provide internal communication and awareness.
- Assist user research involving users of assistive technology.
- Write and maintain the accessibility intranet website.
- Maintain content for electronic company-wide training sessions.
- Assist litigation team regarding accessibility.
PayPal: Member of Technical Staff, UI Engineer, Accessibility (Feb 2014—Nov 2014)
Senior Web Developer, Accessibility (Sep 2012—Feb 2014)
- Conduct accessibility code reviews for multiple teams and departments.
- Periodically join product teams and assist in development including accessibility.
- Write documentation and maintain code for web accessibility techniques.
- Write and present “front-end bootcamp” and accessibility training sessions (internal).
- Create/maintain open-source projects such as the Accessible HTML5 Video Player and the PayPal Bootstrap Accessibility Plugin.
- Assist in running tours of the “Accessibility Showcase” (assistive technology exhibit).
- Co-maintainer of the team’s Twitter account @paypalinclusive.
- Periodically speak at conferences and other events.
PayPal: Senior User Interface Engineer, Consumer (Sep 2011—Sep 2012)
- Conducted code reviews for multiple teams and departments.
- Helped write web coding standards and other documentation.
- Appointed accessibility expert for User Interface Engineering, North America.
Research In Motion (Blackberry) (Redwood City, CA)
Senior Software Developer (Oct 2008—Jul 2011)
- Front-end developer of new internal analytics web application. Assisted in design and documentation of API.
- Developed web-based portions of applications for Blackberry devices.
- Wrote and maintained development standards and guidelines.
- Designed application interface mockups.
- Assisted in creating graphics for Blackberry applications.
- Maintained department intranet website.
- Patent: U.S. Patent 20120113123 "Method, System and Apparatus for Processing Content Data at a Computing Device"
Yodlee (Redwood City, CA)
Senior UI Engineer (May 2007—Oct 2008)
- Developed high-end prototypes for personal finance web application.
- Converted code to valid XHTML and ensure its web accessibility.
- Wrote front-end coding guidelines and web accessibility guidelines.
- Fixed front-end code bugs.
- Guided Java engineers to implement code for special projects.
Google (Mountain View, CA) [remote]
Web Developer [contract, part-time] (Jan 2007—Jan 2008)
- Web programming and consultation for several projects for the newly formed eLearning team.
- Projects included web-based training courses and surveys.
Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI)
User Interface Engineer [contract] (Oct 2006-May 2007)
- Worked directly with usability team and graphic design team in developing the front-end of web applications.
- Coded high end (X)HTML, CSS, and DOM scripting from wireframes.
- Helped develop custom widget library.
- Web accessibility consulting and implementation.
Quicken Loans (Livonia, MI)
Web Developer (May 2006—Oct 2006)
- Front-end developer on small team for three large national websites.
- Revamped QuickenLoans.com home page with strict web standards.
Visteon Corporation (Van Buren Township, MI)
Web Applications Analyst (Jun 2005—May 2006)
- Perform website design and maintenance on portions of intranet and internet web sites.
- Perform data analysis, cleaning, and reporting as needed.
- Analyze, help resolve, and track issues dealing with email accounts, printers, and IP Phone system. Conduct related training sessions.
- Write technical procedures.
Carley Corporation (Orlando, FL)
Web Engineer [full-time and contract] (2001—2006)
- Responsible for the development of web-based courseware including site design, programming, multimedia production, and technical specifications.
- Clients included U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, FFIEC, BellSouth and the FAA.
- Maintained customer portal sites.
- Scheduled, facilitated, and documented the programming team meetings.
- Created and maintained website for the Central Florida Chapter of the National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA).
- Recipient of two Employee of the Month Awards and four Company Team Awards.
BAport (Lake Mary, FL)
Web Designer (2000—2001)
- Developed majority of the Internet and Intranet websites for this web startup. (The product was an accounting web application for small to medium sized businesses.)
- Recipient of Operations' Employee of the Month Award for efforts in a co-branded website with Dell Computer Corporation.
CareerShop.com & CareerTV.net (Winter Garden, FL)
Web Designer & Content Producer (1999—2000)
- Wrote content and maintained portions of the CareerShop website.
- Designed and developed website for CareerTV.net website.
- Edited video shorts.
- Developed system for streaming video with RealNetworks technology.
Walt Disney World (Lake Buena Vista, FL)
Web Designer & Technical Writer [contract] (1998—1999)
- Developed and maintained the Ride & Show Engineering intranet website.
- Wrote technical maintenance manuals for daily maintenance for all rides in all Walt Disney World parks.
- Co-wrote user manual for site-wide maintenance computer system.
Turbine Technologies (Winter Park, FL)
Marketing Associate (1997—1998)
- Co-developed company website.
- Assisted in writing and editing technical documentation.
- Wrote press releases and one published trade article.
Entertainment Publishing (Troy, MI)
Editor, Specialty Desktop Publisher, Publishing Systems Expert (1993—1997)
B.A., Communications—University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (1992)
Concentration: Advertising/Public Relations