Resume, Dennis E. Lembrée
825 Wildflower Ridge Rd.; Wake Forest, NC 27587
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.dennislembree.com
I'm an experienced digital accessibility professional. Much of my career focused on front-end web development with expertise in web standards and accessibility. My skills also include program management, user experience design, and tech writing. I developed a 3-time award-winning web application (Easy Chirp), maintain a popular blog and podcast (Web Axe), and published numerous technical articles. Earlier in my career, I worked in editing, electronic publishing, video streaming, and marketing.
Certified Professional in Accessibility Core Competencies (CPACC)
Authority: The International Association of Accessibility Professionals (IAAP)
Technical Skills & Practices
- Web accessibility and usability techniques including code, design, and interaction.
- Strong understanding of WCAG 2.0.
- Implementing valid and semantic markup, and progressive enhancement.
- Server-side scripting such as PHP (and in the early days, ASP Classic and ColdFusion).
- MySQL, Access, and general database design.
- Blog and podcasting development (including WordPress and Confluence platforms).
Projects & Community
- Member of International Association of Accessibility Professionals (IAAP).
- Member of User Experience Professionals Association (UXPA).
- Easy Chirp—Creator/author. Web-accessible Twitter application. Winner of the 2014 FCC Chairman's Award for Advancement in Accessibility, Social Media category. Winner of the AFB 2011 Access Award. Winner of 2009 Access IT @web2.0 Award. Nominated for "Best API Use" in .net magazine's 2010 Best of the Web awards. Twitter: @EasyChirp
- Web Axe—Creator/author/host. Blog and podcast dedicated to web accessibility. Over 20,000 RSS subscribers at one point. Nominated for "Podcast of the Year" in .net magazine's 2008, 2009 and 2010 Best of the Web awards. Twitter: @WebAxe
- Panel Judge for for the SS12 Code-A-Thon finals at 2011 CSUN Conference, March 2011.
- Co-founder of Refresh Detroit, a group of web professionals in Southeast Michigan.
- Scheduled: Progressive Enhancement and Accessibility; Accessibility Toronto Conference; Toronto, Canada; September 28-29 2017.
- Progressive Enhancement and Accessibility; AccessU Conference; Austin, TX; May 2017.
- Web Accessibility Training for Developers (full day webinar training); INDATA; May 2017.
- Inclusive Design Fundamentals (workshop, co-presenter); 32nd Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; Feb.-Mar. 2017.
- Creating Successful Accessibility Programs through Governance (co-presenter); 32nd Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; Feb.-Mar. 2017.
- An Intro to ARIA; Accessibility Camp Bay Area; San Francisco, CA; October 2016.
- Web Accessibility Training for Developers (full day webinar training); INDATA; May 2016.
- Inclusive Design—Beyond the Basics; 31st Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; March 2016.
- Inclusive Design—Basics Bootcamp; 31st Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; March 2016.
- PEAT Talks: Easy Chirp; webinar for Partnership on Employment & Accessible Technology (U.S. Department of Labor); July 2015.
- 7 Lessons from Developing an Accessible HTML5 Video Player; 30th Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; March 2015.
- Web Accessibility Training for Developers (full day webinar training); INDATA; December 2014.
- Exploring PayPal’s Bootstrap Accessibility Plugin; Paris Web conference; Paris, France; October 2014.
- Developing a Web Accessible Modal Dialog; Accessibility Summit (online conference); September 2014.
- Developing a Web Accessible Modal Dialog; 29th Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; March 2014.
- Usability and Accessibility CSS Gotchas; 16th Annual Accessing Higher Ground: Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference; Westminster, CO; November 2013.
- Usability and Accessibility CSS Gotchas; CSS Dev Conf; Denver, CO; October 2013.
- Usability and Accessibility CSS Gotchas; Accessibility Summit 2013 (online conference); September 2013.
- Developing an Accessible Widget with ARIA; 28th Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; February 2013.
- HTML5's ARIA and an Accessible Dropdown Widget; HTML5 Developer Conference; San Francisco, CA; slides; October 2012.
- Web Accessibility Webinar (full day training); INDATA; September 2012.
- How to Build an Accessible Web Application; Boston Accessibility Conference; slideshare; September 2012.
- Networking with Twitter, Part 2: Twitter for Your Small Business; Webinar for Hadley School for the Blind; slideshare March 2012.
- Networking with Twitter, Part 1: Using Twitter and Easy Chirp; Webinar for Hadley School for the Blind; slideshare; March 2012.
- How to Build an Accessible Web Application (Easy Chirp); Webinar at Accessibility DC meetup; slideshare; November 2011.
- Easy Chirp, an accessible Interface for Twitter; EASI Webinar; slideshare; November 2011.
- Confessions of a Web Accessibility Author, Developer; Keynote Speech at Access U Conference; Austin, TX; May 2011.
- Twitter and Web Accessibility; INDATA Assistive Technology Conference; Indianapolis, IN; slideshare; July 2010.
- Accessibility of Twitter for Mobile, Desktop and Web; 25th Annual International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference; San Diego, CA; March 2010.
- Twitter, Its Uses and Its Accessibility Issues; EASI Webinar; February 2010.
- Twitter and Web Accessibility; Accessing Higher Ground: Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference; Denver, CO; November 2009.
- Accessible Ajax; Accessing Higher Ground: Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference; Denver, CO; November 2008.
Deque Systems (Herndon, VA) [remote]
Senior Accessibility Consultant (Oct 2015—current)
- Perform accessibility assessments for websites and mobile applications of large corporate clients.
- Work with clients' development and design teams to improve accessibility.
- Develop web accessibility remediations for clients via internal tool (Amaze).
- Conducted alpha testing for internal products (Assure).
- Deliver accessibility courses to clients onsite.
- Conduct (virtual) usability tests.
- Present on digital accessibility at conferences and meetups.
- Recipient of the September 2016 Deque Avenger award.
eBay (San Jose, CA)
Senior Product Manager, Accessibility (Nov 2014—Oct 2015)
Coordinate all accessibility efforts at eBay including:
- Write accessibility guidelines for development, design, and content strategists.
- Help develop and maintain Quality Assurance procedures.
- Coordinate and provide training sessions and accessibility “office hours”.
- Coordinate third-party audits; triage accessibility bugs/reports.
- Assist in technical guidance for web accessibility.
- Perform accessibility assessments as needed.
- Provide internal communication and awareness.
- Assist user research involving users of assistive technology.
- Write and maintain the accessibility intranet website.
- Maintain content for electronic company-wide training sessions.
- Assist litigation team regarding accessibility.
PayPal (San Jose, CA)
Member of Technical Staff, UI Engineer, Accessibility (Feb 2014—Nov 2014)
Senior Web Developer, Accessibility (Sep 2012—Feb 2014)
- Conduct accessibility code reviews for multiple teams and departments.
- Periodically join product teams and assist in development including accessibility.
- Write documentation and maintain code for web accessibility techniques.
- Write and present “front-end bootcamp” and accessibility training sessions (internal).
- Create/maintain open-source projects such as the Accessible HTML5 Video Player and the PayPal Bootstrap Accessibility Plugin.
- Assist in running tours of the “Accessibility Showcase” (assistive technology exhibit).
- Co-maintainer of the team’s Twitter account @paypalinclusive.
- Periodically speak at conferences and other events.
Senior User Interface Engineer, Consumer (Sep 2011—Sep 2012)
- Conducted code reviews for multiple teams and departments.
- Helped write web coding standards and other documentation.
- Appointed accessibility expert for User Interface Engineering, North America.
Research In Motion (Blackberry) (Redwood City, CA)
Senior Software Developer (Oct 2008—Jul 2011)
- Front-end developer of new internal analytics web application. Assisted in design and documentation of API.
- Developed web-based portions of applications for Blackberry devices.
- Wrote and maintained development standards and guidelines.
- Designed application interface mockups.
- Assisted in creating graphics for Blackberry applications.
- Maintained department intranet website.
- Patent: U.S. Patent 20120113123 "Method, System and Apparatus for Processing Content Data at a Computing Device"
Yodlee (Redwood City, CA)
Senior UI Engineer (May 2007—Oct 2008)
- Developed high-end prototypes for personal finance web application.
- Converted code to valid XHTML and ensure its web accessibility.
- Wrote front-end coding guidelines and web accessibility guidelines.
- Fixed front-end code bugs.
- Guided Java engineers to implement front-end code for special projects.
Google (Mountain View, CA) [remote]
Web Developer [contract, part-time] (Jan 2007—Jan 2008)
- Web programming and consultation for several projects for the newly formed eLearning team.
- Projects included web-based training courses and surveys.
Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI)
User Interface Engineer [contract] (Oct 2006-May 2007)
- Worked directly with usability team and graphic design team in developing the front-end of web applications.
- Coded high end (X)HTML, CSS, and DOM scripting from wireframes.
- Helped develop custom widget library.
- Web accessibility consulting and implementation.
Quicken Loans (Livonia, MI)
Web Developer (May 2006—Oct 2006)
- Front-end developer on small team for three large national websites.
- Revamped QuickenLoans.com homepage with strict web standards.
Visteon Corporation (Van Buren Township, MI)
Web Applications Analyst (Jun 2005—May 2006)
- Perform website design and maintenance on portions of intranet and internet web sites.
- Perform data analysis, cleaning, and reporting as needed.
- Analyze, help resolve, and track issues dealing with email accounts, printers, and IP Phone system. Conduct related training sessions.
- Write technical procedures.
Carley Corporation (Orlando, FL)
Web Engineer [full-time and contract] (2001—2006)
- Responsible for the development of web-based courseware including site design, programming, multimedia production, and technical specifications.
- Clients included U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, FFIEC, BellSouth and the FAA.
- Maintained customer portal sites.
- Scheduled, facilitated, and documented the programming team meetings.
- Created and maintained website for the Central Florida Chapter of the National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA).
- Recipient of two Employee of the Month Awards and four Company Team Awards.
BAport (Lake Mary, FL)
Web Designer/Developer (2000—2001)
- Developed majority of the Internet and Intranet websites for this web startup. (The product was an accounting web application for small to medium sized businesses.)
- Recipient of Operations' Employee of the Month Award for efforts in a co-branded website with Dell Computer Corporation.
CareerShop.com & CareerTV.net (Winter Garden, FL)
Web Designer & Content Producer (1999—2000)
- Wrote content and maintained portions of the CareerShop website.
- Designed and developed website for CareerTV.net website.
- Edited video shorts.
- Developed system for streaming video with Flash and RealNetworks technology.
Walt Disney World (Lake Buena Vista, FL)
Web Designer & Technical Writer [contract] (1998—1999)
- Developed and maintained the Ride & Show Engineering intranet website.
- Wrote technical maintenance manuals for daily maintenance for all rides in all Walt Disney World parks.
- Co-wrote user manual for site-wide maintenance computer system.
Turbine Technologies (Winter Park, FL)
Marketing Associate (1997—1998)
- Co-developed company website.
- Assisted in writing and editing technical documentation.
- Wrote press releases
- Published one trade article.
Entertainment Publishing (Troy, MI)
Editor, Specialty Desktop Publisher, Publishing Systems Expert (1993—1997)
B.A., Communications—University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (1992)
Concentration: Advertising/Public Relations