Sopa de Jerimum (Pumpkin Soup)
1/2 to 1/4 pumpkin, seeded, skinned and chopped into 1 to 1/2 inch pieces
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tspn kosher salt
2 tbsp butter
2 cups diced yellow onion
1 leek, sliced into rounds
1 bay leaf
1 tspn pepper
2 tspn brown sugar
8 cups chicken broth
1/2 tspn dry sage
2-3 sprigs parsley
1/2 tspn dry thyme
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 - 3/4 pound Italian sausage or chorizo
Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
baked pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, heat the olive oil and butter.
- Add the pumpkin, onions, leek, bay leaf, brown sugar, sage parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook until onions are clear and translucent in color and the pieces of pumpkin are soft.
- Transfer the contents of the pot to a food processor or blender and puree. You may have to do this in two batches depending on the size of your food processor.
- Pour the puree back into the pot and add the chicken broth.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Drain off most of the fat and add sausage to the pot of soup.
- Cook for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve hot and garnish with Parmesan cheese and/or baked pumpkin seeds.