Attendance Moodle ISU
The Attendance module allows the instructor to track attendance within Moodle ISU and assign a grade in the gradebook. Instructors can determine the points for present, late, tardy, excused or other attendance criteria.
This guide will help you to:
Add an Attendance Activity
- Turn editing on. For more information, see Moodle ISU Overview
- Locate the week/topic block in which you wish to add the activity
- Click Add an activity or resource.
- Select Attendance.
- Click Add.
Note: It is recommended that you only add the attendance activity once per class.
- In the Name field, Enter a name if you wish to change it from Attendance.
- Grade - here you choose how you wish to set up the grading for the Attendance activity.
- Scale - this selection will be grayed out unless you choose to grade the Attendance activity using a scale.
- Separate and connected ways of knowing
- Maximum points - this selection will be grayed out unless you choose to grade the Attendance activity using Points.
Note: For information on using scales in the Gradebook, contact the ITRC - (208) 282-5880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Common module settings
- Choose whether to Show or Hide the Page (default is Show)
- Enter an ID number only if you want a way of identifying the activity for grade calculation purposes. If the activity is not included in any grade calculation then the ID number field may be left blank.
For more information, see Groups and Groupings
For more information on restricting access, see Restrict Access
- Click Save and display to be taken to the activity
- Click Save and return to course to be taken to the course homepage.
- Click Cancel to delete the activity.
You can add a single session or multiple attendance sessions within the attendance tool.
- Click the Attendance link in your course
- At the top of the page, Click the Add tab
- Select Session type
- You have two options:
- Add a single session - The single session is a one class session
- For example: You might have a guest lecturer and you are requiring attendance for that day
- Add multiple sessions - Check the box next to Create multiple sessions. This will create a session for each day you have class
- For example: Your class meets three times a week and you require attendance for each of those days. This will create three sessions for that week
Note: The instructions below are for creating multiple sessions for attendance. If you only require a one time session, do not check the Create Multiple sessions box.
- If you would like attendance to be recorded by the students, Check the box next to Allow students to record own attendance
- Choose the date for the first attendance session in the Session Date dropdown boxes
- Select the Duration of the class
- Enter the date for the last session you wish to add in the Session end date dropdown menus
- Select the days of the week when the class meets
- If your class meets every week (typical schedule) then you want a frequency of 1 week, which is the default
- If your class meets every other week, then you want a frequency of 2 weeks
- Add Description if want
- Click Add session to create the session(s)
Note: Once a session is created, you can change the names of the attendance markers and the grade value of each one under the Settings tab.
Set Attendance Grading Criteria
Setting grading criteria sets the grade amount to be given to a student for a certain attendance mark in the gradebook. This is where you designate how many points a student will receive for being present, tardy, excused and absent.
- Click the Attendance activity for which you wish to set the grading criteria.
- Click the Settings tab.
- To add new criteria for the attendance variables:
- Enter the data in the blank columns.
- Click Add.
- To hide a variable:
- Click the eye symbol in the Action column.
- To delete criteria:
- Click the X icon in the Action column.
- To edit criteria:
- Change either the Acronym, Description, or Grade to the desired value.
- Click Update.
- Click the Attendance activity in your course.
- Under Sessions, the class session that was created will be visible.
- In the Actions column, Click the solid circle.
Note: Sessions in which attendance has already been taken do not have the solid circle icon. There will be an arrow that will take you to the screen to modify the attendance record for that session.
Note: You can edit a session (change the date or add a description) with the Gear icon to the right of the session description.
- You will now see a list of all your students. Next to their name you will see options for Present, Late, Excused and Absent (P, L, E, and A) unless you have changed the settings under the Settings tab.
- Select the appropriate attendance status for each student.
Note: Attendance can be changed at any time by clicking on the arrow next to a session.
- You can leave comments in the Remarks field.
- When you have finished entering attendance, Click Save Attendance at the bottom of the page.
Note: When taking attendance, the letters (P,L,E, and A) for attendance statuses are links. You can click the letters P, L, E and A at the top of the column to enter the same status for all of the students
Example: If all students are present, Click the P to mark every student Present.
For more information, see Attendance
For additional information, contact the ITRC - (208) 282-5880 or email email@example.com
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.