Attendance Moodle ISU
The Attendance module allows you to track attendance within Moodle ISU and assign a grade in the gradebook. Instructors can determine the points for present, late, tardy, excused or other attendance criteria.
This guide will help you to:
- Add an Attendance activity
- Set Attendance Categories and Grading Options
- Add Sessions
- Set Attendance Grading Criteria
- Take Attendance
Adding an Attendance activity
- Turn Editing On. For more information, see the Moodle ISU Overview.
- Choose the week/topic block in which you wish to add the activity.
- Click Add an activity or resource.
- Select Attendance.
- Click Add at the bottom of the screen
Note: It is recommended that you only add the attendance activity once per class.
- In the Name field, Enter a name if you wish to change it from Attendance.
- Grade - here you choose how you wish to set up the grading for the Attendance activity.
- Scale - this selection will be grayed out unless you choose to grade the Attendance activity using a scale.
- Separate and Connected ways of knowing
- Maximum points - this selection will be grayed out unless you choose to grade the Attendance activity using points.
Note: For information on using scales in the Gradebook, contact the ITRC.
Common Module Settings
This section sets how the activity uses Groups and manual grade calculations. For more information on groups and groupings, see Groups and Groupings. For more information on manual grade calculations, contact the ITRC.
For more information on restricting access, see Conditional Release, or contact the ITRC.
You can add multiple attendance activities and multiples sessions per day.
- Click the Attendance link in your course. This will take you to the attendance activity you just created.
- To add class sections, Click the Add tab at the top of the page.
- You have two options here, to add a single session or to add multiple sessions. To create multiple sessions Click the box next to Create multiple sessions. The single session is a one class session. For example: you might have a guest lecturer and you are requiring attendance for that one day.
Note: These are instructions for creating multiple sessions for attendance if it is only a one time session don’t check the Create Multiple sessions box.
- Choose the date for the first attendance session in the Session Date dropdown boxes.
- Select the Duration of the class.
- Enter the date for the last session you wish to add in the Session End Date dropdown
- Select the days of the week on which the class meets.
- The final option, frequency
- If your class meets every week (typical schedule) then you want a frequency of 1 week which is the default.
- If your class meets every other week, then you want a frequency of 2 weeks.
- Click Add session to create the session(s).
Note: Once a session is created, you can change the names of the attendance markers and the grade value of each one under the Settings tab.
Set attendance grading criteria
- To access the grading criteria, Select Settings.
- To add new criteria for the attendance variables, enter the data in the blank columns and Click Add.
- To delete criteria, Click the X icon in the Action column.
Note: To hide a variable, Click on the eye symbol in the Action column.
- To Edit criteria change either the Acronym, Description, or Grade to what you want it to say and and then click update.
- Select Attendance from the Activities block in your course to open the attendance activity you just created.
Note: Under Sessions, the class session that was created will be visible.
- Click the circle from the Actions column.
Note: Sessions in which attendance has already been taken do not have the circle button. There will be an arrow that will take you to the screen to modify the attendance record for that session.
Note: You can edit a session (change the date or add a description) with the standard Gear icon to the right of the session description.
- You will now see a list of all your students; next to their name is a P, L, E, and an A (unless you have changed the settings under the Settings tab). To mark a student present, late, excused, or absent, Click the radio button corresponding with the P, L, E, or A.
- You can leave comments in the Remarks field.
- When you have finished entering attendance, Click Save Attendance at the bottom of the page.
Note: When taking attendance, the letters (P,L,E, and A) for attendance statuses are links. If you click one of these letters, the status selected will be the same for all the students. Example: if all students are present, click the P to mark every student Present.
For more information, visit Attendance.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.