Burlingame Youth Baseball Association
2015 Invitational Tournament
8 & Under Tournament Rules
- If a player was born on or after May 1, 2006, he would be eligible to play in the 8 & Under age group in 2015.
- All players at the start of the game will be placed in the batting order. A player that arrives late will be inserted at the end of the batting order. If a player is injured and cannot continue, their spot in the batting order will be skipped each time the player would have come to bat. This will be done without penalty. If the injured player can return to the game, he must bat in the same slot as he was placed in the order when the game began.
- The coach pitcher must be at least 18 year old.
- The coach pitcher must pitch overhand to his own team and be stationed with one foot on the pitcher’s rubber when he delivers the ball.
- The coach pitcher must not interfere with a fielder’s access to a batted ball. Penalty: The batter is out and runners may not advance. Coach pitchers struck with the ball will be a dead ball foul.
- The coach pitcher is to pitch only. He may not talk to or coach any batter or runners while on the field. Penalty: Batter and/or runners are out.
- The plate umpire will call a maximum of six pitches or three swinging strikes to each batter. The batter is out on a dropped third strike. An at-bat cannot end on a foul tip regardless of pitch count.
- After a ball has been put in play, play will be stopped when the ball has been returned to the pitcher’s helper in the chalked circle around the mound. Batted balls hit to the pitcher’s helper should be fielded and played as normal.
- There will be a chalk line halfway between each of the bases (except home and 1B)
- If the runner is beyond the respective chalk line when the pitcher’s helper has the ball, he gets the next base
- If not, the runner retreats to the prior base that he came from
- Kids can now take extra bases on overthrows
- When time has been called, base runners are not permitted to leave the base until the ball crosses home plate. A base runner leaving the base too soon will be called out.
- Stealing is not allowed. A runner may advance only on a batted ball.
- There are no walks and a batter does not get to take first base if hit by a pitched ball.
- Ten players will be allowed on defense. Four players that will be designated as outfielders and none of the four outfield players will be allowed to assume infield positions while playing an outfield position.
- Free substitution for defensive players is allowed.
- The infield fly rules do not apply.
- The extra hitter (EH) rule does not apply.
- The re-entry rule does not apply.
Length of Games:
- Games shall be six (6) innings in duration. If the game is tied after regulation, extra innings will be played until a decision is reached.
- Time limit is 1 hours and 45 minutes for all games, except semi-final and final games. No new inning will begin after time limit (except semi-final and final) unless game is tied. A new inning begins when the 3rd out is recorded in the bottom half of an inning. The 1st pitch starts the game. Managers should encourage their teams to get on and off the field quickly so that time is not an issue.
- Game time starts when the first pitch is thrown. Umpire will notify the official scorekeeper to write the time down in the official scorebook.
- Run Rule - Six runs scored in any half inning shall be the same as three outs and the games will be called when there are not enough innings left in a game for a team to score enough runs to win the game. The exception being the sixth inning, with 10 runs possible in the last inning.
- Minimum of 10, maximum of 15 players per team, unless approved by the tournament director before the start of the tournament.
- Teams must have at least 10 players in the lineup for each game. If a team must play with fewer than 10 players, each time an open slot in the line up comes up, an out will be recorded. No exceptions
- Players found to be ineligible will be removed from tournament along with the manager of the team. All games played with an ineligible player will be forfeited.
- No additions to a team’s roster after the start of the tournament, unless approved by the tournament director or his delegate.
- Metal spikes are not allowed.
- Only players in uniform will be allowed to play. All-Star uniforms (different represented teams from same city) are okay. Duplicate numbers must be reported ahead of time.
- The batter, base runners, on-deck batters, or players coaching bases must wear protective headgear.
- Diamond DOL A Baseball or equivalent will be supplied by B.Y.B.A.
Managers & Coaches:
- Maximum of 2 coaches plus 1 manager will be allowed for each team in the dugout.
- Only 1 designated coach is allowed to confer with an umpire(s).
- No games will be played under protest. The umpires on the field will decide all questions of rule interpretations, with final judgment made by the tournament director or his delegate.
- Pitching distance is 43 ft
- One eight-foot straight line will be drawn parallel from the front center of the pitcher’s rubber. The player pitcher must stay behind this line until the ball is hit.
- Ground rules for each game will be discussed before each game.
- Any player, coach, manager or spectator ejected from a game will be suspended from all other tournament play/activities, subject to the discretion of the tournament director or his delegate.
- No team or individual chants will be allowed. Teams will be warned only once. Second offense will lead to forfeiture. This tournament is for the kids to win or lose based on their athletic abilities and not through “mental games”. Appropriate sportsmanship by the players, coaches and all parents is expected.
- No consumption of any alcoholic beverage allowed within the parks.
- Smoking is not allowed around the playing fields. Please observe all posted ordinances.
- Evidence of medical/liability insurance is to be presented to the tournament/field director by June 7, 2013.
- Home Team gets third base dugout.
- No infield practice before the game is permitted.
- Have team ready to play 15 minutes after completion of previous game. If we can start early or make up time we will.
Note: All other rules will be governed by the “Official Baseball Rules.”