Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream Frosting
Serving size; About 28-30 cupcakes.
((For the cupcakes))
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste (or the seeds of 1 Vanilla Bean, or 2 teaspoons of Pure Vanilla Extract)
- 1 1/4 cups Buttermilk
- 3 cups Cake Flour
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
((For the Nutella Buttercream Frosting))
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Nutella
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2-3 cupcakes pans with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla bean paste, and buttermilk. Set aside until needed.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter (I cut mine up into 6 squares for each stick to incorporate them better) and beat until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the egg mixture in 3 additions, beating well in-between in each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Divide the batter among the prepared baking cups, ONLY FILLING UP THE CUPS HALFWAY. This is VERY important. If you fill them up 2/3 of the way (as you would with most cupcake recipes), they will over-rise and bake over the edges
- Bake the cupcakes in the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the nutella buttercream frosting. Cream the butter in the large bowl for about 5 minutes, until it is light and fluffy. (I used my stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.) Add the confectioners sugar and salt and mix, gradually increasing the speed, until the sugar is fully incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy - you may need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple of times.
- When the buttercream is fluffy, add the nutella. Whisk for about 5-8 minutes until the nutella is fully incorporated and buttercream is light and fluffy again.
- Frost the cupcakes as desired. Add any toppings if you'd like. Enjoy!
*These cupcakes will last in a sealed container for up to about 5 days.
Recipe Source: Krissy's Creations.
*Printed from Mommy of Two.