Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – April 10, 2019
Tom Vanderputten Leonard Gustin John Hollister
Keith Loutzenhiser Mark Holcomb Nick Christofeno
- The meeting minutes for April 10, 2019 were approved.
- Nick Christeno reported catching a brown immediately prior (15 minutes) to our meeting on the Little Elkhart (100 S.), and also a steelhead from the St. Joe River near Leeper Park. Mark Holcomb also caught a St. Joe River steelhead at Central Park in Mishawaka. Tom Vanderputten caught a couple of browns on the Little Elkhart (County Rd. 43).
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted the financial report for February 2019. The total summary for all accounts was $ 26,468.37
- LECTU received $ 50 donation from Dr. Burns
- LECTU received $ 540 from mail-in raffle tickets
- LECTU received $ 75 from TU National as reimbursement for new members ($15 each)
- $540 was received from mail.
- TOTAL as of 4/10/19 301 tickets sold = $ 3,010.00
- Spring Newsletter has been sent to members via email communication.
- Mike and Brandon are investigating TU National web service email as a source for LECTU communications.
- The Upper Midwest Region Rendezvous was held March 29-31 in Zion, IL. Mike Beachy, Steve Mack, and Tom Vanderputten attended.
- The meeting was a great source for information and knowledge regarding the structure, procedures, and administration of a local TU chapter.
- Although LECTU excels in some areas, there is a need to change some fundamental LECTU details in order to establish a sound and resilient local chapter. Those changes will be discussed at future meetings.
Brown Trout Stocking
- Permits have all been filed with the State of Indiana.
- Lee Troyer has filed health reports with Indianapolis and this completed the application process.
- May 10th is the target date for planting 500 browns from Seven Pines.
- An additional 500 brown trout will be stocked in the fall (Sept/Oct). The actual date will be determined when we are closer to the fall.
Corson County Park
- LECTU will lead the effort to contact the property owners regarding the catch and release section within the new park.
- The Park Board will contact the state about the catch and release section.
- These actions are on hold until after the annual outing on May 4th.
Advanced Fly Casting
- Charlie Ray will incorporate FFI Fly Casting Skills Challenge into the program.
- A tentative date of June 1st has been established with the venue to be determined.
- The cost will be $ 20.00 per person ($5.00 will be for LECTU).
- There will be signups at the outing on May 4th.
- The Middlebury Parks event will be August 24.
- LECTU will have a booth at this event.
- Nick Christofeno is the LECTU person for this event.
- Saturday May 4, 2019.
- Mike contacted Tom Enright regarding early setup of the tent (Friday May 3rd). Tom has agreed and LECTU will provide some volunteers (beer may or may not be involved).
- Steve Mack is still on the road acquiring promised items for the raffle and silent auction.
- Members should continue to solicit items (small stuff e.g. flashlights, coffee mugs)
- Additional items are also needed for the kid’s raffle.
Fly Tying Session
- The last date for LECTU fly tying was Saturday March 30th.
- This was held at Keith’s house. Due to many other events Keith was the only participant.
LECTU Summer Workdays
- LECTU will cut the trail on June 15th. Mike, Tom, and Jim Mock have volunteered. Nick has also volunteered and will bring at least one additional person.
- The following will be the work days for the stream restoration and preservation work. These are all Saturdays. July 13th, 27th. August 3rd, 17th. September 7th.
- LECTU will complete The Meadow Project. Adding kickers and deflectors.
- Cheryl Mast at Camp Amigo needs fly fishing instructors for June 8th.
- Cheryl will contact Keith Loutzenhiser with the details. LECTU has eight rod/reel combos to use.
- Please contact Keith if you wish to volunteer. The event is from 9am until noon.
Yoder Meadow Closure
- Wilbur will again close The Meadow between April 24 to May 12 to hunt turkey.
- Mike has closure signs that will be placed at Stutz Ditch, Hoover Woods crossing, and at the chicken house parking.
- Additionally LECTU has received notification of Turkey Hunting in the woods adjacent to the Little Elkhart at County Rd. 43. If you fish this area remain near the bridge.
- Accident Insurance is offered by TU National.
- LECTU will obtain $ 50,000 of coverage for $ 155.
- The application has been filled out and will be sent with a check.
DNR Fish Stocking Report
- The Little Elkhart and the Rowe Eden will receive 4,750 rainbows in Elkhart and LaGrange Counties.
- There will also be a special event stocking of 450 rainbows at Bonneyville Mill.
Next Meeting – May 8, 2019 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten - Secretary