SAS Meeting Minutes

April 23rd, 2017

April 30th, 2017

September 3rd, 2017

September 10th, 2017

September 17th, 2017

September 24th, 2017

October 1st, 2017

October 8th, 2017

October 22nd, 2017

April 23rd, 2017

Absent: Jahnavi

  1. Transparency and Funding for 5C Parties
  1. Money withdrawn from reserves to support 5C parties: SAC Birthday Party, Pirate Party, Slippery When Wet
  1. 5C Budget Allocations and Scripps Budget Allocations
  1. TSL and TSV - poll results; 261 responses - many students want to continue to see printed copies, but at a lower frequency. TSL and TSV aren’t able to print together to save costs.
  2. Voting item: 5C Budget Allocations. Vote passes, 10 in favor, 5 abstaining
  3. Voting item: Scripps Budget Allocations - orgs receiving leadership grants are WW, AASU, AASP, CCL, Family. Vote passes, 7 in favor, 8 abstaining.
  1. For Discussion and Vote: 5CIV Statement (20 minutes)
  1. Voting item: decision as to whether or not SAS will sign a joint statement to be presented to SDC requesting that 5CIV disaffiliate from InterVarsity
  2. 5CIV originated as 3 separate organizations under CMC, Harvey Mudd, and Scripps. 5CIV has signed an anti-discrimination policy; there have been many discussions over the course of the year about disaffiliation. While SAS will not provide an annual budget. It is noted that individual students can apply through FAC for events.
  3. Motion to approve recommending disaffiliation passes - 10 in favor, 5 abstaining
  1. For Discussion and Vote: Stipend Clarification in bylaws (10 minutes)
  1. Context - President, VPSA, and Co-Treasurers are each stipended $2200 for the academic year for their work on SAS. To provide more transparency, this amount would be included in bylaws
  2. Voting item: add “Compensated $1100 on a semester-basis for work on SAS Board as long as [Position Name] is in accordance with their bylaws” to the bylaws of each of the positions listed above - Vote passes, 10 in favor, 5 abstain
  1. Message from ASCMC re: Pirate Party: students must be wrist-banded, starting on Wednesday and until Saturday; RAs and CMC advocates will be present.
  2. For Discussion: Summer Institute and Fall Training (10 minutes)
  1. Proposed: SAS Summit. All training will occur on the second weekend of return to school. Proposed date: September 9th, 2017.
  1. For Discussion: Motley Coupons for RAs (5 minutes)
  1. Proposed: SAS pays for one free drink a day at the Motley. Total cost would be 3000$ for a semester. Potentially will subsidize - could co-sponsor with the Motley.
  2. Action items: check-in with RAs and RA reps on if this is a good way to support them.

April 30th, 2017

Absent: none

  1. Updates and Icebreaker (15 minutes)
  1. Kelly - meeting with Prof Vosburg re: 5CIV next week, BOT has been selected, student body email will be sent next week
  2. Grace - checks will be out by Tuesday/Wednesday, reimbursements for 2016-2017 due tomorrow
  3. Kaya - still working on finding a commencement speaker
  4. Alix - forum for curricular diversity last wednesday went pretty well, have some stuff outlined
  5. Maddie - first snack tonight - acai bowls tonight @ browning rec room, met with Yuka about collab on a project next semester (small scale music festival?)
  6. Ariel - waiting to hear from 5C event heads to talk about scheduling for fall
  7. Abby - potentially sitting on facilities committee to talk about accessibility
  8. Aliza & Helen - fundraiser this week (kiss your seniors goodbye) for unrestricted funds
  9. Aleah - met with Jo and Kimi about what’s worked/what hasn’t in terms of programming
  10. Leta - trying to get on facilities planning committee (up to Dean & Josh), working on getting club storage in dorm basements
  1. For Discussion: The Student Life & Sustainable Funding (25 minutes)
  1. Guests: Lauren & TSL crew
  2. Context - TSL has had many problems with getting funding for printing from student governments in the past few years and want to express the importance of a printed newspaper
  1. From TSL staff
  1. TSL and TSV are the only printed matter not from communications dept/vetted by communications dept, everything else is molded to fit a certain narrative
  2. Printing standardizes news
  3. Unites them with a physical presence - students can pick it up, excitement for Claremont as a whole
  4. Experience for designing / careers in journalism, many of whom come from scripps
  5. 26% of staff are scripps students
  6. More sustainable funding moving forward / hurts them as a newspaper
  1. Suggestions from SAS - Seek funding institutionally ie. from institutional advancement, DOS, establishing endowed fund
  2. Action item: work with TSL to establish more sustainable funding through institutional resources
  1. For Discussion: SAS Snack and Winter Dinner allocations (10 minutes)
  1. Context - Funds were not allocated for SAS snack or winter dinner during budget allocations
  2. Proposed - SAS spends a lot of money on food/snacks annually; hosting snack once a month instead of weekly could bring more CLORGs together to collaborate and could be a highly anticipated event
  3. Voting item - Allocate $5000 for Student Organizations Commissioner to provide monthly snack and host winter dinner passes; Vote passes - 8 in favor, 4 abstain
  1. For Discussion: Apparel (5 minutes)
  1. 3 designs will be posted in Facebook group by the end of the week, reminder to fill out sizes on spreadsheet
  1. For Discussion: RA Motley Perk Cards (5 minutes)
  1. RAs would like for the funds to be allocated elsewhere. SAS and RAs will discuss collaboration/supporting each other next school year
  1. For Discussion: SAS Summit, Summer Institute, Fall Training (5 minutes)
  1. If not attending other trainings or Summer Institute, SAS members are expected to return to campus on August 20th for SAS training
  1. For Discussion and Vote: SIC Budget Allocation (5 minutes)
  1. Context - Scripps International Community’s budget allocation for 2017-2018 was incomplete due to incomplete budget materials. SIC received $1000 for the 2016-2017 school year. SIC is starting a mentoring program next school year and has requested $1800 for their budget
  2. Voting Item - Allocate $1800 for Scripps International Community; Vote passes - 11 approve, 2 abstain
  1. For Discussion: Publishing past 5C Club allocations on SAS webpage (10 minutes)
  1. Context - In the past, 5C club budget allocations have not been published to the SAS webpage. To promote transparency with the student body, 5C club allocations would be posted on the SAS webpage following the release of allocations
  2. Voting item - Publish 5C club allocations for 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 passes; Vote passes - 11 in favor, 2 abstain

September 3rd, 2017

Absent: n/a

  1. Updates (15 minutes)
  1. Kelly - meetings with 5c presidents, Lara, and CJ
  2. Aleah - brainstorming ideas for events this semester
  3. Helen/Aliza - planning Senior Kickback and meeting with CJ this week
  4. Leta - Met with admin to get shower timers for all residence halls; wanting to set up website for all sustainability resources/to answer questions
  5. Romanshi/Grace - transitioning phase; meeting with Jenn and Diane about SAS treasurer materials; working on publishing budget allocations and FAQ
  6. Abby - meeting with Jenn to discuss SCORE CLORGs and other programming
  7. Alix - reached out to Timmy Song re: 5C sexual assault policy, education for it; correspondence to set up faculty meetings
  8. Maddie - CLORG tea was this week; now starting to plan programming in the future - might be working with the TFH and other clubs
  9. Casey - meeting with Neva at SAGE to plan letter-writing for students abroad; also thinking of planning BBQ/picnic for the junior class
  10. Kaya - in communication re: Senate/PC; met with Ariel about upcoming 5C events, corresponding with other 5C event chairs
  11. Ariel - discussing Halloweekend programming
  12. Irene - elections coming up
  1. For discussion Election Timeline (10 minutes)
  1. Shared election timeline for first year president elections and secretary applications
  2. Statements of intent due 9/15, statements of intent to be posted throughout the weekend, election speeches 9/19 at 8 pm in student union, voting 9/20 - 9/21
  1. For discussion: T-shirt and SAS tabling (5 minutes)
  1. Shared door tags, t-shirts, and signed up SAS members for tabling
  1. For discussion: Treasurer updates (10 minutes)
  1. Budget allocation clarification and David from HMC asked questions about how all the students governments does their financing
  2. Received email from ASPC regarding decisions made during 5C budget hearings last semester (i.e. Claremont Journal of Law and PP, Camp Kesem, Green Shirts, etc.)
  1. For discussion and vote: VPSA budget requests (10 minutes)
  1. No budget requests this week
  1. For discussion and vote: 5C budget allocation clarifications (10 minutes)
  1. Context - some clubs did not receive allocations due to lack of information and other clubs needed clarification for budget allocations.
  2. Voting item - Allocate $170 to the Claremont Journal of Law and Public Policy; Vote passes - 11 in favor, 4 abstaining
  1. For discussion and vote: Discretionary Funds/Operating Budget
  1. Context - SAS currently has a small operating budget to pay for jotform, quickbooks, checks, etc. Allocate additional discretionary funds for things like banner, printing cartridges, craft supplies in student union, etc.
  2. Discussion -
  1. Allocations from operating budget must be reviewed and approved by entire SAS board through a majority vote
  2. Sustainable measures when using discretionary funds (will discuss with Leta)
  1. Voting item - Allocate $500 to operating budget with $37.00 for SAS banner; Vote passes - 10 in favor, 5 abstaining
  1. For discussion and vote: Committee confirmations - Budget Advisory Committee and Facilities & Planning Committee (5 minutes)
  1. Context - President appoints student representatives to presidential committees and is seeking SAS approval for appointments
  2. Voting item - Kelly recommends Karla Guerra to serve on Facilities and Planning Committee alongside Leta Ames (sustainability chair); Vote passes - 10 in favor, 5 abstaining
  3. Voting item - Kelly recommends Asha Gupta to serve on the Presidential Budget Advisory Committee alongside Grace and Rom (co-treasurers); Vote passes - 11 in favor 4 abstaining
  1. For discussion: Seniors class fundraising ideas (10 minutes)
  1. Context - Senior class co-presidents need to fundraise for discretionary fund to purchase alcohol for events.
  2. Discussion -
  1. Bar crawl for seniors to ask for donations as students are transported by co-presidents
  1. Lack of accessibility - could be expensive for seniors to participate
  1. Event to pie faculty and staff
  1. For discussion: 5C sexual assault policy (2 minutes)
  1. Context - 5C sexual assault policy was changed last spring across all of the campuses, but students have not been informed of changes
  2. Action item: Alix will set up a meeting to determine the actual language of all the policies across all five colleges
  1. BeHeard forum for education for students
  1. For discussion: Meeting guests (5 minutes)
  1. Context - ASCMC wants to send representatives to SAS meetings to gather information and gain a better understanding of how SAS operates
  2. Discussion -
  1. All of ASCMC’s meetings are open, SAS could attend if we wanted to
  2. Concerns were raised about effects on Sunday meetings
  3. Unofficial poll decided that ASCMC (and other student govt reps) may attend meetings on occasion depending on topic matter, must inform SAS before attending
  1. Action item: Kelly to inform other student government presidents of decision
  1. For discussion: Senior Staff and SAS lunch/dinner (5 minutes)
  1. Context - Senior staff and SAS typically have a meal together every semester to get to know each other, learn about roles
  2. Prospective dates for at Revelle House
  1. Decided on 09/18 for dinner
  1. Action item: Kelly to inform Denise Nelson Nash of dates that work best for SAS
  1. For discussion: Communications on SAS (5 minutes)
  1. Context - SAS has traditionally used GroupMe for communications on SAS
  2. Informal vote - SAS decided to communicate via Facebook messenger for this year
  1. For discussion: White boards in residence halls (5 minutes)
  1. Context - Found 10 whiteboards while cleaning Student Union, discussed posting whiteboards in residence halls to use as message boards from SAS to inform residents of what SAS is doing
  2. Action item: Kelly to email maintenance and residential life staff about posting whiteboards

September 10th, 2017

  1. Updates (20 minutes)
  1. Jenn - introduces herself to the group and about her role as our advisor and resources she can bring to the table for SAS
  2. Irene - elections timeline for this week - info session, statement of intent deadline
  3. Grace/Rom - Rom and Grace will meet with HMC treasurer to discuss utilizing venmo system, organizing the Finance Committee, budget allocations, first PBAC meeting happened this week
  4. Abby - meeting with Daniela for leadership council, brainstorming for events with SCORE CLORGs
  5. Ryan - emailed Dean Dennis about Judicial Board committee, finding a better time for CAR Meetings
  6. Maddie - working on event with the Field House, planning her first snack in September, brainstorming a CLORG collaboration event; Turf dinner is coming up next Tuesday
  7. Aleah - working on first event/bonding (“Sophomore Sunday Sundae”); hoping to work with other class presidents to work on study abroad application event; “No S’more Core” event for the end of the semester
  8. Kaya - working with Ariel to meet with 5C counterparts about upcoming events (Halloween); will be dispersing the official dates for 5C parties
  9. Ariel - meeting with the other 5C events chairs this weekend; planning logistics for Eurobash
  10. Alix- in communication with Timmy Song (CMC) about meeting about the 5C sexual assault policy changes; has a meeting with DOF Amy Marcus-Newhall this week
  11. Leta - working with Josh and facilities to get shower timers on campus; in the works of getting a “Green Guide” printed and up around campus; collab with Kelly on putting sustainability resources on the SAS website
  12. Aliza - met with CJ about alcohol policy in regards to senior events; planning “Senior Kegger”; CJ wants to have a senior class event at her house; almost done with SAS sale
  13. Casey - talked with Neva to have a letter-writing event; planning a picnic/BBQ for SCR only or 5C juniors; might plan a scavenger hunt
  14. Helen - met with Senior Class Gift Committee
  15. Kelly - meeting this week with CJ re: alcohol policy (the Guide to Student Life will be published on Monday); met with Lara; drafted and published DACA email on Friday
  1. For discussion: 5CIV (10 minutes)
  1. Context - Funds were not allocated to 5CIV because of continued affiliation wtih Intervarsity; 5C student government presidents will be meeting in the coming weeks to discuss further
  2. Action items: SAS members will reach out to Kelly if they have further questions or concerns to bring up to Claremont Christian Fellowship or 5CIV
  1. For discussion and vote: Treasurer Updates (30 minutes)         
  1. PBAC - 3 student representatives (Rom, Grace, Asha): went over ongoing business from last year and the format of the meetings, thinking about decreasing spending of the school, increasing of student employment pay, discussed over-enrollment of the first-year class
  2. Green Bikes Program:
  1. Context - Pitzer Green Bike Program requested funding from all 5Cs; Program is being used by all 5c students and GBP is requesting funds to support those costs
  2. Discussion
  1. GBP’s unwillingness to become a 5c club and not go through budget allocations
  2. Encourage the Green Bike Program through FAC and present to the Board at upcoming SAS meeting
  3. Proportional costs compared to number of Scripps students utilizing the program is very high
  4. Collectively decided to not allocate funding
  1. Budget Advising - recommend clubs and orgs spend entirety of budget before requesting funds from FAC to host events; treasurers are willing to allocate additional funds when clubs and orgs run out of budget
  1. For discussion and vote: VPSA updates
  1. Email from someone who wants to write a blog post about Scripps events and want to get a student’s perspective
  2. Budget Request - “Paint Party” for September 16th from ASHMC
  1. Context: Paint party is traditionally hosted by ASHMC, requested $500 from Scripps, $1000 from CMC, $1000 Pomona, $550 Pitzer
  2. Voting item: Allocate $500 to ASHMC for paint party; Vote passes - 10 in favor, 5 abstaining.

September 17, 2017

Absent: Aliza

  1. Updates and Check-In (25 minutes)
  1. Review community guidelines
  2. Aleah - picking date for sophomore sundae sunday - october 1st or week after
  3. Abby - first meeting with leadership council on thursday
  4. Ariel - beginning eurobash planning
  5. Casey - letter writing event on the 27th - need help writing letters! dining hall + s’mores event on the 29th to gather more letters
  6. Rom - sent out FAC applications, picked 3 student reps, meetings will start soon, met with Jenn, GOT THE CHECK
  1. Additional CLORG budget info session set for Tuesday (9/26) 7-8 pm
  1. Grace - working on spreadsheet to keep track of expenses, reimbursements, debit card
  2. Irene - working on elections
  3. Kaya - met with 5c event heads, pitzer to host halloween as backup
  4. Helen - first senior event is THIS SUNDAY @ CJ’s house 4-6 pm, senior kegger on 10/6 in courtyard below malott, met with Jenn
  5. Maddie - first snack is tonight!!, coordinating event with field house
  6. Alix - bice fund app is coming soon!, meeting with dof - amn, info session for procedural items, curricular diversity, course evals
  7. Leta - reached out to Warren about resource map, reaching out to 5c environmental chairs, green LLC to start project (environmental resource center)
  8. Kelly - meeting with Jenn, ALC retreat
  1. For discussion and vote: VPSA budget requests (10 minutes)
  1. Moonbounce (9/30) hosted by Devon Kennedy at Pitzer
  1. Context - Moonbounce has been a successful party hosted at Pitzer in the past
  2. Voting item: Allocate $300 for Moonbounce with stipulations that other student governments support the event, safety measures are taken; Vote passes - 7 in favor, 1 against, 5 abstaining
  1. For discussion and vote: Materials for student union (10 minutes)
  1. Context - Student union printer is owned and operated by SAS and thus materials need to be purchased to keep the printer up and running.
  1. Paper and ink at $390 for total - should cover the entire year (2 cases of paper)
  1. Voting item: Allocate $390 for printer ink and two cases of 100% recycled paper; Vote passes - 10 in favor, 3 abstaining
  1. For discussion and vote: Transition to venmo (15 minutes)
  1. Context - ASHMC has been using venmo for reimbursements for dorm budgets and club budgets and has been successful.
  2. Discussion -
  1. Grace and Rom met with ASHMC treasurers to discuss feasibility of venmo
  2. Venmo will not replace the debit card, but will streamline reimbursements, but reimbursements would have to go to the treasurer role of CLORG
  3. SAS is in support of continuing to discuss a transition to Venmo, Grace and Rom will continue to determine feasibility of it
  1. For discussion: First Year Class President election updates and volunteering (10 minutes)
  1. Context - First year class president elections are happening this week and secretary applicants are being interviewed. SAS is encouraged to attend the election speeches and encourage first years to vote.
  2. Discussion -
  1. Flyers will be posted at CGU in the next few days
  2. 7 candidates running for class president, 6 applications for secretary
  3. Speeches will be on Tuesday (9/19) at 8 pm in the student union
  4. Voting will take place Wednesday 8 am - Thursday 8 am
  5. Votes will be counted on Thursday at 8 am by Casey, Kelly, and Alix

September 24th, 2017

Absent: Aliza, Leta

  1. Updates (35 minutes)
  1. Welcome new SAS members!!
  2. Irene -  elections last week, working on senate applications, meeting with VPs
  3. Alix - met with Yuval, info session about classes, beheard re: FEC proposals  
  4. Sabina/Christina/Julia - working on small staff initiatives - sex week (october), radical care week (november)
  5. Helen - met with 5C class presidents, senior pool party @ CJ’s house, senior kegger on 10/6
  6. Kelly - senior staff lunch next week, HI meeting, meeting with CJ, BOT reps, strategic planning committee, 5C presidents meeting
  7. Maddie - budgeting and brainstorming for snack, clorg leader email
  8. Abby - leadership council, brainstormed events (alum karaoke night 10/19), hiking with Vanessa Tyson
  9. Ariel - looking for eurobash DJs, drafting statement re: abusive artists
  10. Aleah - planning first soph class event (10/8), soph/senior collab event
  11. Casey - letter writing @ SAGE expo (9/27), need help writing letters, juniors on jacqua (9/28 6-8)
  12. Safia - met with Kelly re: secretary training
  13. Kaya - eurobash DJs
  14. Grace and Rom - met with Jenn re: ways to spend reserves, CLORG info session (9/26), finalized budget, went to the bank, FAC meetings start tomorrow
  1. For discussion: Treasurer updates (15 minutes)
  1. Ideas for spending reserves: swipe access for academic buildings, SCORE, emergency fund for students, food pantry, massage chair at SCORE, contraceptive vending machine, Scripps vehicle, fencing for parties
  1. For discussion: Transparency re: course creation (10 minutes)
  1. Context - Many students are confused about creating courses, academic freedom. DOF is willing to host info sessions with SAS and students to clarify questions and the process.
  2. Alix planning meeting with SAS members and DOF folks
  1. SAS session, student session (open to all students) following
  1. Info session would most likely take place on friday morning
  1. For discussion: Moonbounce (10 minutes)
  1. Guest: Jeremy Greer
  2. Context - Approved $300 for moonbounce last week, but SAS raised concerns about safety and layout of the party to be addressed
  3. Discussion/Questions -
  1. Conditions
  1. Advocates present at event
  2. Funding from other 5C student governments
  1. Patrol party with advocates so students are safe, camp security
  1. Camp security guarding equipment, around perimeter
  1. Expecting 750-1000 attendees throughout the entire night
  1. For discussion and vote: VPSA budget requests (20 minutes)
  1. Public events committee is looking for another representative
  2. Writing statement for DJs to not play music from artists who have history of sexual violence
  3. Recruiting for Programming Committee and Senate
  4. VPSA budget is for Scripps and 5C events

October 1st, 2017

Absent: Safia, Ariel

  1. Updates (20 minutes)
  1. Irene - senate apps due friday, info session tomorrow, JED meeting
  2. Helen & Aliza - first senior class event!, senior kegger is friday
  3. Aleah - first event on sunday - ice cream in GJW living room
  4. Rom - started FAC, second budget info session, deposited check
  5. Kaya - went to moonbounce, drafted email of solidarity with other event heads
  6. Leta - meeting with facilities re: composting, shower timers coming soon
  7. Julia - first pop-in hours, first event with another school
  8. Abby - date for alumnae karaoke event, leadership council this week
  9. Casey - two events this past week
  10. Christina - working on sex week
  11. Maddie - halloween trick or treat stuff
  12. Alix - no updates
  13. Grace - no updates
  14. Kelly - met with Deb re: vending machine, met with ASHMC president, meeting with CJ, BOT this week
  15. Ariel - student interested in DJing for eurobash
  1. For discussion: Treasurer updates (10 minutes)
  1. Several clubs never attended a budget hearing and are not official clubs
  2. Figuring out logistics of venmo
  1. For discussion and vote: VPSA budget requests (10 minutes)
  1. Office of Public Events - Art Garfunkel Event (10/13)
  1. Context -  Office of Public Events is hosting Art Garfunkel in LA. Requesting $200 for a bus to take students to LA, tickets and books provided to students.
  2. $200 approved for bus
  1. Diwali (10/20)
  1. Context - Diwali is being hosted by Hindu Society, estimate 25% of guests are scripps students. Requesting $600 for event.
  2. Discussion - SAS intentionally allocated a larger budget during budget hearings so that they wouldn’t have to request during the year
  3. Action item - tabled to next week so Kaya can clarify and ask for more information.
  1. For discussion: Board of Trustees Update (10 minutes)
  1. Context - Board of Trustees meeting is this weekend, hosting RGT
  1. For discussion and vote: College Community Action Network budget proposal (20 minutes)
  1. Guest: Emily Lavine
  2. Context - CCAN is a 5C club, just gained official club status at the beginning of this semester. Currently have 75 students (~15 students) that regularly attend meetings. Support local organizations to provide resources that are requested by community members. Organized DACA clinic through Uncommon Good, raised money for DACA reapplication fees, DACA phone-banking.
  1. Requesting $2800 from 5Cs ($700 from Scripps), received $300 from pitzer, $0 from CMC
  2. Community oriented, so budget is hard to estimate
  3. Funds used for transportation to/from events (zipcars), printing fees, snacks, turf dinner supplies
  1. Voting item: Allocate $500 to CCAN; Vote passes - 13 in favor, 3 abstaining.
  1. For discussion: Wellness vending machine (15 minutes)
  1. Context - Pomona has a wellness vending machine stocked with condoms, plan b, and other wellness items. Proposed use of reserves to purchase and subsidize the cost of products for a similar vending machine at Scripps.
  2. Discussion -
  1. Potential locations - laundry room or nook in res hall, student union
  1. Action item: Christina to check in with RAs during meeting to see if this is something folks would be interested in
  1. Could also sell things like laundry detergent, band-aids, other wellness items
  2. Gain student input on whether or not this is something students want
  1. Action item: Kelly create a survey to release to the student body to send with the monthly SAS update email

October 8th, 2017

Absent: none

  1. Updates (20 minutes)
  1. Julia – two ideas for events (Scripps only, partner with other school); office hours didn’t happen last week because of email miscommunication
  2. Safia – ideas for glass case in Seal Court
  3. Aliza & Helen – second event on Friday (Senior Kegger)
  4. Irene – Senate apps due; met with VPs except CMC and Pomona; meet with other 5C governments for bonding (date TBA)
  5. Ariel – EuroBash planning
  6. Casey - lunch on Tuesday with other Junior Class Presidents
  7. Abby – second leadership council meeting; SCORE assessments
  8. Leta – Green LLC Brunch; meeting with 5C environmental chairs; composting coming soon
  9. Maddie – Scripps Snack: 9PM Toll Rec Room; more info on Halloween trick-or-treating event (coordinating with staff for candy); possible pumpkin carving event
  10. Aleah – first event; 20 people attended
  11. Alix – October 20th @ 11 am set date for info session on how this office operates; Core, Writing 50 evaluations
  12. Kelly – Board of Trustees planning; mixer last week- lots of BOT student reps attended; planning on how to make student reps more in communication with each other; encouraging voicing of student reps

  1. For discussion: Treasurer update (10 minutes)

a.  Met with LASPA – application come out this semester for students to get money at LASPA market it as leadership growth perspective

        b.  Making FAC transparent with funding practices

  1. Ideas –
  1. Allow students to sit in on FAC meeting
  2. Designated meetings for observers
  3. Office hours for students with questions
  4. Mock FAC meeting, mock budget requests
  1. Concerns - confidentiality (what is said in the room has to stay in the room)

         c. SACNAS Conference Fee Approval

  1. Context – Student requested funds to attend conference; SAS has allocated donation to be used for science-related expenses
  2. Vote: Approve $50 from parent donation for STEM conference; vote passes – 11 in approval, 4 abstaining
  1. For discussion: VPSA budget requests (10 minutes)
  1. Concerns regarding Hugh Hefner Party at CMC (10/7)
  1. Action item: Kaya to reach out to Jenn about contacting CMC to voice concerns
  1. Net Impact
  1. Context -  Atika Gupta ’16 working for non-profit in Oakland; opportunity for SAS or CLORGS members to provide student or group with funding needed to host an event that is related to national debt
  1. For discussion: Board of Trustees Update (10 minutes)
  1. Context – First BOT meeting was this past weekend
  2. Student Affairs – presentation on SAS goals, student health and wellness, initiatives being taken on by DOS  
  3. Educational Policy – EPC discussed transitioning to 2-3 teaching, larger first year classes, allocating more spots for Scripps students in classes, discussions on Keck and possible new building

  1. For discussion: Email updates and feedback (15 minutes)
  1. Context – First monthly SAS update released on Wednesday, Kaya released statement of solidarity on Thursday
  2. Emails had positive feedback from professors and staff members and students
  3. Feedback on solidarity statement – students reached out about Hugh Hefner CMC party
  4. Other SAS outreach updates
  1. TSL – representatives from TSL have been reporting on SAS
  2. Tabling – creates presence on campus, but few students utilize
  1. Strategies – specific weekly topics/prompts, prize incentives, including in events emails
  1. Action Item: Create SAS videos on Facebook page, potentially embedded into email to increase accessibility

October 22nd, 2017

Absent: Aleah

  1. Updates (30 minutes)
  1.   Kelly: Updating SAS website, SAS drive for reference, Senate meetings
  2. Casey: 5C event, commencement speakers meeting
  3.  Kaya: first PC meeting, 15 PC members, sign ups for shifts for Eurobash and candy giveaway during Halloween
  4.  Alix: Info session with DOF went well; reaching out to DOS; forum for classroom climate being planned
  5. Maddie: PC meeting went well; Halloween planning
  6. Safia: no update
  7. Julia: Mudd first year class elections; Friendsgiving event; Freshman Baking Party
  8. Abby: Monster Mash Ups and Karaoke; Faculty Hiking and dinner in Village on Sunday
  9.  Ariel: PC meeting; Eurobash planning
  10. Helen and Aliza: meeting with Jen for Senior Class gift giving
  11.  Leta: compost planning with Mallot; Facilities and Planning Meeting
  12.  Ryan: no update
  13. Irene: Senate Interviews; meetings with 5C VP
  14. Aleah (reported by Kelly): Study Abroad info sessions
  1. For discussion: Treasurer Update (10 minutes)
  1. New Reimbursement Forms - more straightforward and user-friendly
  2. Venmo created
  3. Budget Request Planning
  1. For discussion and vote: VPSA Budget Requests (10 minutes)
  1. Roshni and Elijah (Pitzer)
  1. Context - 5C Halloween Party at Pitzer; increasing budget for more food to keep number of transports low; discussion on music/ artists; more inclusive party
  2. Vote: $750 approved for Pitzer Halloween Party
  1. Fun Ball (Mudd): budget breakdown: food, lights/sound
  1. Vote: $90 approved for Mudd Fun Ball - 5 abstaining
  1. Latin Ex Student Organization (Mudd): November 10th; food, drinks, live band; requesting $800 in funding for live band
  1. Action Item: Kaya follow up with budget request before final voting
  1. For discussion: Senate Updates (10 minutes)
  1. 8 new senators - Senate, Board, PC bonding event planning
  2. 5C Student Government Bonding - Friday at 7PM; either at CMC or Student Union; collaboration opportunities
  3. SAS Photoshoot- Sunday 8:30 AM; business casual attire
  1. For discussion: 5CIV Update (10 minutes)
  1. Context - 5C Christian InterVarsity Group; have not been funded for several years due to practices; 5C student governments cannot encourage 5CIV to disaffiliate due to legal reasons  
  1. For discussion: Scripps Resource Mapping (30 minutes)
  1. Context - students should know the many resources available at Scripps; end goal is to have all resources and their locations listed out and searchable on a map; can help find gaps in the system
  1. Action Item: create Excel sheet of all resources available