SPA Daily Announcements
Monday, March 8, 2021
Day 1 /Q3
Our division theme this year is Respond to God’s Word with Love. Throughout Lent, we’ll be reading our way through the Gospel of Mark over the next seven weeks in video format. (Teachers: today’s link is in the “Daily Announcements” email. Thank you!)
NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS: a
- Any grade 10 or 11 student who has not received a course selection sheet for next year please pop into Mr. Ash’s office to get one. They are also available in the main office if you have no questions about your courses for next year. All forms are due to the main office by March 17th
- Congratulations on an excellent performance at regionals, and for all of your hard work and commitment, to our High School Ethics Bowl Team, Sara Bokenfohr, Kate Miller, Isabelle Spohn, Nathan Thiessen, and Kaden DaCruz, who lost their final match before advancing to nationals by a heartbreaking 136-129. You made us proud! Go Spartans!
- Any grade 9 students who missed Ms. DeRose’s presentation, please stop by her office to grab a course selection sheet. She will be in Ms. Palmer’s today (Thursday). If you fill in a counsellor’s slip, please indicate your morning and afternoon classes so that Ms. DeRose knows where to find you.
- Monday, March 8th is International Women’s Day, a global day of recognition celebrating the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women and girls, and raising awareness of the work left to be done. Join us in wearing purple on Monday to celebrate the women in our community.
- HYRS Summer Research Program applications are open for any Gr. 11 interested in a summer position in biomedical or health-related research. Please visit the Google Classroom ho7yer6 or see Ms. Cappellano for requirements/more information.
- Don’t forget to bring just $5 to your day 2 / block 2 class in support of the “Brief Project” - helping provide socks and underwear for some of those in most need among us. All donations must be collected by Friday, March 19th - and the three classes who raise the MOST will get a Tim Hortons/Spartans prize pack in the days just before spring break. The CSS video outlining the project and whom you are helping can be found here: https://youtu.be/kzPtBAvj4e4
- High School Model UN Virtual Meeting: Monday, March 8 at 4:15 PM. Please use the link posted in Google Classroom. Code: ekxjdkx
- Maplewood and ConnectEd are not working so the counsellors can’t find students who have put in requests as we can’t see your timetables. Please be patient , we will find you as soon as we can.
- The Basketball training groups and schedule are posted in the google classroom and in the display case between the 2 gyms. Any issues please see Mr. Delano
- All students who are taking in-school-eLearning courses on Day 2 are to go to room 203 in the afternoon.
- Any students interested in applying for the ELITE Program for Black Youth run in partnership with UofA please come see Mrs. Plaizier for information. Ages 15 +.
Grade 12 Announcements:
- Norquest Virtual Open House
Saturday, March 13
10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Register here : https://www.norquest.ca/media-centre/events/2021/open-house.aspx
- Grad Photos: SPA grad photos are now scheduled for March 15-19. Please show up 5 minutes before your appointment.
Go to the link to book your appointment https://booknow.appointment-plus.com/1dqlkmce/
- Grade 12’s who have applied to UofA please see message below
- We want to remind you of an important piece of the application process for students - updating their courses and marks! When students apply to the U of A in the fall of their grade 12 year, they are evaluated using their available grade 11 and grade 12 final marks. However, if a student is not immediately admissible to their first choice program, they can submit new final marks* as they become available. With this new information we can reevaluate students for admission, and hopefully extend them an offer to their first choice program!
- Students studying in a quarterly high school system can submit updated courses and final marks to the U of A for reevaluation during the month of January. Quarterly students from BC, AB, and ON will find the Course and Mark Update form automatically uploaded in their Launchpad portal, and quarterly students from other jurisdictions can request one at uab.ca/ask. Students not studying in a quarterly system will have the opportunity to submit updated courses and final marks to the U of A for reevaluation starting February 15, 2021.
- The Leaders in Equality Award of Distinction (LEAD) Program is now accepting applications from students eager to make a difference in their communities. The new program is supporting students who are working to reduce gender discrimination in their communities or who are studying in fields where their gender is traditionally under-represented. Each successful applicant will receive $2,500.
The scholarship program consists of two funding streams:
- a previously announced Women in STEM Award stream, which is open to women under 30 years of age pursuing studies in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, and
- the Persons Case Scholarship stream, for anyone pursuing studies to advance gender equality.