Hammonton Green Committee Minutes - December 2017
Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall
Green Committee Members:
X Jeanette DePiero X Mica McCullough X Amy Menzel X Linda Esposito
__ Kerri Patton X Sara Verrillo X Courtney Volpe
Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Dan Bachalis, Nancy Fonte, Barbara Neary, Eric Schmehl, Victoria Falciani; Jake Blazer & Ron Esposito w/ Folsom Parks Dept.
- Events and Projects:
- Same meeting day & time in 2018 EXCEPT January meeting will be on 1/8/2017 (2nd Monday)
Sustainable Jersey Actions
- We will pursue recertification every year, to reduce the workload every 3 years
- We discussed pursuing Gold certification
- Email Mica if you want to be involved with the Sustainable Jersey subcommittee
- Barb suggested purchasing small “A Sustainable Community” flags to broadcast downtown (Cassie can provide a vendor & dimensions, possibly include on all downtown marketing, Third Thursday brochures, DMO? Public Works can hang them up)
- Work with Hammonton First to make sure GC accomplishments are shared, perhaps as a Mayor’s Minute/ spotlight
- Mayor’s Climate Summit, Sat. Feb 3 9:00-1:30 at Rutgers New Brunswick-- we will set up a carpool to this event.
- Atlantic/Cape May HUB meeting sometime during week of 2/12
Sustainable Jersey for Schools:
- Sara will follow up with John Lyons after last conversation in March
- Victoria will share at Thurs. HHS Green Club meeting
- Victoria will gauge student interest, students to make suggestions to Board of Ed/ superintendent.
Puerto Rico Relief
- Mica will reformat PRCA info into letter for distribution.
- Eric will check Fermented’s wholesale supplier for 5-gallon buckets
- Amy & Dan will present a draft ordinance to the Quality of Life committee, will report back.
Mayor’s Monarch Challenge
Eye Opening Film & Lecture
- Sara will get Kramer Hall’s availability & whether a make-and-take face scrub event is allowed there
- Alternate locations: brewery, HAC, NextDoor,
- February: Microplastic theme, make-and-take face scrub.
- Beauty sponsor? JNR?
- Other theme ideas: Minimalism/ tiny house; Story of Stuff (lint); Straws
Recycled Ornament Sale
- Table at HAC during Third Thursday, December 21 from 6:00-9:00
- Linda, Amy, Courtney, Jeanette & Mica will be there
- Mica will determine before event whether more ornaments are needed
Adopt a Road Cleanups
- April 7 (rain date 8th) is being held for downtown cleanup with students. Amy will reach out to St. Joe, Linda/ Victoria will reach out to HHS.
- Pending Lake Cleanup date, Green Committee can “fan out” downtown if there are plenty of lake volunteers
- Next time: count branded items to determine where to focus community education program. Wawa could “sponsor” a trash can, Egg Harbor Rd., or on Front St. park?
Family Success Center Planting
- Linda will keep trying to get in touch with Trish Donio.
2. Garden Update -
- Winter meeting date: Dec. 20 @ 7:00 pm in 3rd floor Town Hall conference room
3. Open Floor
- Should GC have a presence in town parades?
- GC matching shirts?
- Continue to operate as mayor’s committee or as public meeting?
- Barrel painting?