Mashpee Public Schools
School Year 2022-2023
Mashpee Public Schools retains sole right of possession of Chromebooks and related equipment. Chromebooks may be issued to students according to the guidelines set forth in this document and the Technology Acceptable Use Policy. The Technology Department retains the right to collect, reassign and/or inspect Chromebooks at any time and to alter, add, or delete installed software or hardware.
EXPECTATION OF USE
Use of Chromebooks will be for school-related instructional and learning activities.
CUSTOMIZATION OF EQUIPMENT
The student is permitted to alter or add files to customize the assigned Chromebook to his/her own working style (i.e. visual preferences). Students may not alter or tamper with the operating system, filters or controls. Students may not alter or deface the Chromebook in any way (i.e. stickers, labels, pencil marks, etc.).
DAMAGE OR LOSS OF EQUIPMENT
Actions Required in the Event of Damage or Loss.
- In the event of damage or theft of my Chromebook, I will complete a Chromebook Issue Report and report the incident to a Mashpee Public Schools teacher, administrator, or a member of the Technology Department within 48 hours. An investigation will follow.
- Disciplinary action will occur if there is evidence that I abused, neglected, or defaced my assigned Chromebook, or one belonging to another student. I understand I will be charged if I put stickers or any kind of markings on my Chromebook, remove keys, break the screen or misplace the device or cord.
- If a Chromebook is completely damaged by my neglect or abuse, it is my family’s financial responsibility to replace the Chromebook. For example, throwing the Chromebook, leaving the Chromebook in a hot car all summer or using the Chromebook as an umbrella would be considered examples of neglect and abuse. (Insurance may be purchased from a private company of your own choosing if you wish.)
- All breaks will result in the following fees being charged to the student and must be paid to cover the cost of parts when we can get them. If parts are not available, students may be responsible for a new device.
Keyboard with touchpad
Keyboard without Touchpad
LCD Back Cover (stickers)
LCD Assembly: includes front/back plates
Replace lost or ruined device
MY RESPONSIBILITIES IN USING MY ASSIGNED CHROMEBOOK:
- I will bring my Chromebook to school with me every day, FULLY CHARGED. I will take precautions to preserve battery life during the school day.
- I will keep my Chromebook with me and within my sight at all times and ensure it is locked away safely.
- I will adhere to Mashpee Public Schools Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) at all times.
- I will follow the guidelines listed below for proper care of my assigned Chromebook.
- I will immediately report any problem/issues I encounter while using the Chromebook to my teacher, an administrator, and/or the Technology Department.
- I understand technology staff may set the Chromebook back to factory settings at any point. Setting the Chromebook to factory settings may be a course of action for any repairs or modifications on the Chromebook, and this may result in the loss of data from the Chromebook.
- Chromebooks may be requested to be returned at the end of the school year for inventory and/or software updates. Chromebooks may be re-assigned as deemed appropriate by administration.
- Upon completing Mashpee High School graduation requirements, or if I transfer to another school prior thereto, I will return my Chromebook and power cord to the school. Failure to do so may result in a replacement fee cost and/or disciplinary actions.
GUIDELINES FOR PROPER CARE OF MY ASSIGNED CHROMEBOOK:
- I will not loan my Chromebook to anyone, nor will I use another student’s Chromebook.
- I will provide proper care to my assigned Chromebook at all times, including but not limited to the following:
- I will give the same care to my assigned Chromebook that I would give to my most valued possession.
- I will keep food and drink away from my assigned Chromebook.
- I will not leave my assigned Chromebook in extreme heat or cold environments.
- I will not attempt to make repairs to my assigned Chromebook if it is damaged or malfunctioning.
- I will always use the appropriate Chromebook adapter to charge my assigned Chromebook.
- I will not do anything that will permanently alter my assigned Chromebook in any way, including removal of keys and labels.
- I will keep the screen clean with a soft, dry anti-static cloth or with a screen cleaner designed specifically for the screen only.
- I will use care in transporting my assigned Chromebook to and from school (backpack).
- I will not attempt to bypass or remove filters or restrictions put in place by Mashpee Schools.
- I will not change my username or password for my school-issued Google account.
- Chromebooks will be managed, filtered and monitored by the Technology Department and Administrators of the Mashpee Public Schools.
- Apps and extensions will be added only through the Technology Department.