South West Deputy Heads Meeting Notes
Date: 15th March 2018
Venue: King Edward School, Bath
Appraisal / Performance Management
- There was a discussion around appraisal, performance management, and legals.
- Managing difficult conversations with staff was highlighted as a challenging area, but this also extends to parents. DW - to arrange for Tom Packer to deliver some sessions on this at the next meeting.
- The appraisal discussion led to further talks about the merits of lesson observation. The debate moved on to technological solutions and the benefits of systems that allow personal self-reflection and the benefits this can have on Wellbeing. DW - to arrange for Dr. Sean Warren to demonstrate the ONVU system at the next meeting.
- It was felt that some sessions that would help colleagues to understand / interpret financial accounts would be very helpful, especially in the context of budget cycles and understanding how resources are allocated. The bursar at Terra Nova school regularly gives talks on these issues at HMC events and he is to be invited to a future meeting
Outdoor / Character Education
- The was an excellent discussion about Outdoor and Character education, both in terms of maximising school grounds / allocating resources & embedding within the existing curriculum. DW to invite Andy Carley of School Outdoor Learning to present at the next meeting.
- It was felt that running a few meeting around the practical development of teaching and learning would be very beneficial.
- It was agreed that the next meeting would also be held at Wells Cathedral School on the 21st May. The agenda and booking tool for this meeting is here. The autumn meeting will be take place at Monkton School (Date TBC).