Motion to Change Sectors into Collectives
Approved on March 20, 2018
Motion: to change Sectors into Collectives, with the characteristics, responsibilities, and rules of operation listed below.
- Collectives are working groups for curricular development, collaborative research, discussion, grant writing, and other activities.
- Collectives serve the English Department in a purely advisory role and do not participate in governance.
- Collectives get assigned time slots throughout the semester in the English Department meeting calendar.
- Attendance to and participation in Collectives is considered committee work for Personnel Committee action and evaluations.
- Membership rules:
- Membership in Collectives is voluntary, and based on interest and expertise.
- Faculty (including adjunct faculty) and student representatives can belong to multiple Collectives.
- Faculty from other UPRM departments can participate in English Department Collectives.
- To join a Collective:
- A faculty member must write a letter or e-mail to the Collective’s Coordinator stating their interest in joining.
- The Collective considers and votes on the request.
- Student representatives can join any Collective they’re interested in.
- Collectives can invite faculty to join them.
- Collectives elect a Coordinator each academic year.
- Collectives keep attendance records and minutes of their meetings.
- Collectives submit yearly reports to the English Department Director on their activities.
- Procedure to create a Collective:
- The interested initial members write and sign a letter to the English Department Director stating the purpose, goals, and initial membership for the Collective.
- The Director informs the English Department of the creation of the new Collective.
- Procedure to disband a Collective:
- The members of the Collective write and sign a letter to the English Department Director officially disbanding the Collective.
- Collectives that do not meet for one academic year or have membership below 3 are automatically disbanded.
- The Director informs the English Department of any disbanded Collectives.