A Six Week Summer Program for Students
Imagination Rocket is hiring full-time facilitators to work with its students (grades 1 - 8) in partnership with the rest of the program’s staff team and parents. Agile Learning Facilitators act as models and mentors of self-directed living and intentional culture creation. Above all, facilitators need to be grounded in the perspective of trusting children, partnership-based relationships, and personal responsibility.
- Hours: This full-time facilitator role would be primarily fulfilled Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:00am and 4:00pm. The compensation for this role also includes additional “off-site” time, estimated at half an hour a day, to account for any prep work done before or after the program, communications with staff and parents outside of the program hours, and any other spontaneous needs that emerge within the scope of the facilitator's role in the community.
- Dates: The term of employment begins on July 5, 2018 and ends on August 20, 2018. Staff days are scheduled for July 5, July 6, and August 20, with a community-wide closing celebration on Saturday, August 18.
- Compensation: Compensation is structured as a flat salary of $3,250 - $3,750 (depending on experience), which will be paid in three equal installments: on July 13, July 31, and August 15.
This is the perfect role for you if…
- You are a passionate, curious, and joyful person with a variety of interests and abilities that you will enjoy sharing with young people through Offerings made at our Set-the-Week meeting and through spontaneous, self-organized activities.
- You have experience cultivating authentic, respectful, and partnership-based relationships with people of all ages and will take great joy in leading a Launchpad (small group of mixed-aged students) that meets each day to connect, set intentions, and reflect together.
- You are excited to practice the art of facilitation - “maximum support with minimal interference” - in the context of working with young people.
- You understand and are aligned with the basic principles of Self-Directed Education.
- You are comfortable adapting to changing circumstances, not always having the answer, navigating interpersonal relationships, coordinating logistics, and communicating effectively in multiple forms.
- You are, yourself, self-directed: you don’t need to be told what to do in order to be productive in your role; you can notice what needs to be done and take action, while communicating effectively with team members along the way.
- BONUS: You are excited to develop a long-term role as an Agile Learning Facilitator.
- BONUS: You can speak multiple languages.
How to apply
First, if you have not already done so, review the Agile Learning Centers website and read volume II (Facilitation) of the ALC Starter Kit. This will give you a good sense of the cultural DNA we are looking to embed in our community. Then, email us at email@example.com and:
- Tell us what gets you excited about self-directed education, Agile Learning Centers, and joining the Imagination Rocket team. What sparks your passion? How did you hear about this opportunity? What unique skills and perspectives would you bring to our community? You can answer these questions through writing, audio, or video - it’s up to you!
- Give us a simple written outline of your work/life/learning experiences (no formal resume necessary). Include links to any work or creative projects you’ve contributed to and are proud of.
- Provide us with two or three relevant references and their contact info.
We look forward to hearing from you! Please submit your application by Friday, June 15.