Brave New World
Reading Purpose Questions
- How are Bernard and Lenina when they get back to the rest house?
- What are Bernard’s motives for bringing John & Linda back to London with him?
- When John is alone looking at Lenina sleeping, what are his thoughts?
- What does the Director announce to the room about Bernard? What is Bernard’s response?
- “... no offence is so heinous as unorthodoxy behavior. Murder kills only the individual -- and, after all, what is an individual? … We can make a new one with the greatest of ease … Unorthodoxy threatens more than the life of a mere individual; it strikes at Society itself…” - What is your opinion of this statement?
- What maternal instincts are revealed through Linda’s actions? How is this behavior surprising and what does that mean about humans’ capability to cope and assimilate?
- Describe Pope. What is Linda’s relationship with Pope based on?
- Why does Linda say that mescal should be called soma?
- Why does John hate Pope and the other savages?
- Why do the other women hate Linda?
- What does Hamlet inspire John to do to Pope? How do they both respond to this incident?
- Describe the Savage wedding ritual
- Why is Bernard hesitant and then excited about bringing Linda to The World State?
- What types of things does Lenina observe in the Savage Reservation? What is her reaction?
- Describe the savages that Lenina and Bernard encounter
- What happens when they encounter an old man? How do they respond? Old age does not exist in The World State - how do they maintain youth?
- Describe the Savage ritual
- Who is the young boy that Bernard encounters? What connection does he make?
- Who is Linda? What do Lenina and Bernard learn about her survival on the Savage Reservation?
- What significant things happen during Bernard and Lenina’s date?
- Explain the conversation they have while over the channel
- What experiences did the DHC have while at the Savage Reservation?
- How does the DHC feel about Bernard’s odd behaviors? What does he say about them?
- What warnings do Lenina and Bernard receive about the Savage Reservation?
- Explain the World State’s view of death.
- What are some new examples of hypnopaedic learning?
- What is a “Malthusian drill” and what is its purpose?
- What does solidarity mean?
- What happens in a Solidarity Service? How does Bernard feel about them?
- What evidence is there of predestination and conditioning in the characters of the lift attendant, Lenina, and Benito Hoover?
- What are some examples of the popular sports in the World State?
- How is Bernard treated by members of other castes? How does Bernard seem to feel about himself?
- Characterize Helmholtz Watson and his relationship with Bernard.