Potomac Highlands Beekeepers Association (PHBA)
(formerly known as the Hampshire County Beekeepers Association)
A non-profit regional association of the West Virginia Beekeepers Association
primarily serving members of West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.
- Purpose of the Association:
- To advance the interest and knowledge of beekeeping for members of the association and the local community
- To promote all aspects of practical bee culture and beekeeping skills.
- To advance and promote all aspects of bee culture and help educate the general public of the practical value of the honeybee, honey, and any other products which come from the honeybee.
- Bylaws of the Association:
- Nine (9) meetings are planned to be held annually. There will be no meetings in the months of November, December, and January, unless Association members vote to the contrary.
- Membership is open to anyone interested in beekeeping or in promoting the club’s objectives.
- Dues are payable at the first meeting of the year for the current year’s membership. If dues are not paid by the May meeting, it will be assumed that the member will not be renewing or participating for the current year. PHBA membership dues also include membership in the West Virginia Beekeepers Association (WVBA) at no additional cost.
- The officers of the Association will consist of President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer (a single combined or two separate positions). The President may delegate or assign tasks and responsibilities to club officers and members as required to fulfill the club’s objectives. The Vice President shall substitute for the President if the President is not available. The President and Vice President shall be responsible for securing guests and speakers for the club. The Treasurer shall be responsible for the club checking account and reporting the club’s financial status at meetings, and the Secretary shall prepare minutes for each meeting. The PHBA web site shall be maintained by a club officer or volunteer at the discretion of the President.
- Offices will be held for a period of one year. All officers are eligible for reelection. Elections will take place at the final meeting of the year and new officers will assume office at the next meeting.
- A three person nominating committee will be appointed by the President not later than the August meeting each year to select the following year’s potential officers.
- The President may appoint a public relations person if coordination with the media is required. The President may assign tasks to club officers and members as required to fulfill the club’s objectives.
- The President is authorized to appoint committees and establish dates and places for club activities.
- These bylaws can be amended at any time by a 2/3 vote of the members present with voting privileges limited to one vote per member. A quorum of at least 10 members must be present for a binding vote.
- All members are invited and encouraged to bring family and friends to any meeting.
- The PHBA maintains a web site at www.potomachighlandsbeekeepers.weebly.com and a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/307915169658/ (Potomac Highlands Beekeepers). Members are encouraged to direct anyone with a potential interest in beekeeping to the PHBA web page or Facebook page.
Bylaws amended (name of organization from Hampshire County Beekeepers to PHBA, number of meetings per year, change of web page and addition of Facebook page) at a noticed meeting of the PHBA on May 18, 2017 with a vote of ___ for, ___ against, ___ abstaining, and ___ voting members present.
Roy Funkhouser, President
Larry Lemons, Vice President
Kirby Vining, Secretary/Treasurer