Tairangi School Procedure Statement
ASTHMA NAG 5 Health & Safety
To improve general awareness within the school’s community and to ensure students and staff can take full advantage of opportunities offered at Tairangi School; the following procedures will be followed.
- Children with asthma will be identified upon enrolment or as the condition arises.
- Opportunities for staff and parent education through the Public Health Nurse/designated Asthma Nurse will be provided.
- Children identified as having asthma will be listed on a School Asthma List located in the medical room.
- Children with individual asthma plans will have those plans kept in the medical room.
- Students with asthma will be encouraged to keep some spare medication at school.
- Class teachers will know where that medication is kept.
- A staff member will be delegated responsibility for overseeing of the school’s Asthma Kit.
- Children with asthma are encouraged to participate fully in playground education at a level appropriate for them.
- Tairangi School is SmokeFree, which should reduce smoking as a trigger factor inducing asthma.
- The Public Health Nurse will lead a staff meeting on asthma each year.
File:asthma5.doc Procedure Statement – Asthma