General Body Meeting

9/10/17

9:00PM Benjamin Franklin Room, Houston Hall

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Upcoming Admin Meetings
  1. Counseling and Psychological Services
  2. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  3. Provost Wendell Pritchett
  1. NSO Presentation
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. University Council
  1. History
  2. Past Meeting
  1. UA Steering
  1. History
  2. Past Meeting
  1. UA Report
  1. NSO Events
  2. Slack
  3. Social Media Consent
  4. Retreat
  5. External Seats
  6. New Student Election Timeline
  7. Member of the Week
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1.  Election of Budget and Finance Committee 2017-2018
  2. Funding Steering Assembly Membership Confirmation
  3. OFSL CFA Addition
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Penn Labs Upcoming Meeting
  2. Attendance Policy
  1. Academic Initiatives
  2. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Project Updates
  1. Drive for Hurricane Victims
  2. Meeting with Julian Goresko
  3. Penn Dining Signups through Housing Portal
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Penn Dining X UA Thermos Program
  1. Social Justice
  2. Student Life
  3. External Seats
  4. Communications


Reports


President’s Report

  1. Upcoming Admin Meetings
  1. Counseling and Psychological Services
  1. Cabinet will be meeting with CAPS this Tuesday, 9/12/17, to discuss projects such as club recruitment and semester-length mental health leaves along with potential future collaborations.
  1. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  1. I will be meeting with CUD this Wednesday, 9/13/17.  CUD is chaired by the Vice Provost for Education, Dr. Beth Winkelstein, and meets to discuss issues of mutual concern to the four undergraduate schools and establish unified policies.
  1. Provost Wendell Pritchett
  1. Cabinet will be meeting with the new Provost this Friday, 9/15/17, to discuss the goals of the UA this upcoming session and possible future collaborations.
  1. NSO Presentation
  1. Jay and I were asked to speak at the Department of Public Safety presentation for all new incoming Penn students.  The presentation included subjects such as the Walking Escort Services, Netter Center resources, fire and emergency services, MERT, medical amnesty, Penn Help line, anti-hazing, UPennAlert, Penn Guardian, and other special services.

Vice-President’s Report

  1. University Council
  1. History
  1. University Council is a broad representative forum that aims to not only consider the activities of Penn in all its phases but also serve as an advisory board to the senior administration. The members of the University Council include senior administrators, faculty, staff, and undergraduate and graduate students. The Council has 5 Standing Committees 4 of which directly impact student life. These are the following: Committee on Campus and Community Life, Committee on Academic and Related Affairs, Committee on Diversity and Equity, and Committee on Facilities. In a given year, committees will focus on issues mentioned in their charges for the year.
  1. Past Meeting
  1. The first University Council meeting was held this past Wednesday. In addition to presenting the charges for the committees for the upcoming year and focus issues for each Council meeting, there was also a presentation on Year of Innovation. A statement was made by Latinx Coalition on DACA and suggestions were provided to senior administration as to what actions they could take to best support students.  
  1. UA Steering
  1. History
  1. UA Steering is a representative forum that includes about 40 student groups aimed at discussing the most pressing and important issues facing students on campus. Administrators are brought in to facilitate the discussion and clarify policy questions that students may have. UA Steering also does have the power to pass resolutions, and put items on the UA agenda. These meetings are held bi-weekly on Tuesdays from 7:30-8:30. This is a off-record, closed-door meeting. However, UA members are special observers and may attend the meetings.
  1. Next Meeting
  1. The first UA Steering meeting will be this Tuesday, September 12, from 7:30-8:30 in Huntsman F55.

UA Report

  1. NSO Events
  1. Thank you to everyone who attended our NSO/Labor Day Weekend Events (SAC Fair, PSG Info Session, PSG Carnival, Ice Cream Social, and UA Info Session)! We had great turnout from our membership and will hopefully get some great new members in the next few weeks.
  1. Slack
  1.  At this point, everyone should be on Slack. Following this GBM, I will no longer be posting any information or updates to GroupMe, and expect everyone to do the same. Slack provides all the same features as GroupMe, as well as calendar synchronization, multiple reacts to messages, the ability to delineate business and social threads, and the organization kept all in one “workspace”.
  2. If you have questions about Slack features or how to use it, please see me after GBM.
  1.   Social Media Contest
  1. Jordan has been running a social media contest to boost our likes on Facebook and followers on Twitter. Please invite your friends to like our pages @pennua by 11:59pm on September 10th.
  1.  Retreat
  1.  Retreat will take place from Saturday, October 14th to Sunday, October 15th at Chamounix Mansion in Fairmount Park. The run time will be noon on Saturday to noon on Sunday. Per UA Bylaws s.8(a), the mandatory education portion will take place on campus (location TBD) and will run from approximately 12-3pm. Attendance is expected of all members on the full duration of the retreat barring outstanding conflict.
  2. Please speak to me after the GBM for any special considerations you may have.
  3.  There will be a regularly-scheduled GBM on Sunday, October 15th.
  1.   External Seats
  1. By now, everyone should have received their external seat assignments. I am in the process of hearing back from administrators and committee chairs.  on the meeting schedules, and will keep you posted as I receive information.
  1.  New Student Elections Timeline
  1. Information Forms Due – 9/12
  2. Signatures & Candidate Statement Due – 9/13
  3. Candidates’ Meeting – 9/13
  4.  Monetary Campaigning Begins – 9/15
  5.  Voting Period – 9/18-9/20
  6. FPC Hearing (if necessary) – 9/24
  7. Max Grove and Nile Nwogu are taking the lead in our new member welcome programming. Be on the lookout for information on that later this week.
  1. Member of the Week. This week’s member of the week is...

Treasurer’s Report

  1.  Election of Budget and Finance Committee 2017-2018
  1. This committee is comprised of the treasurer and two additional UA members, which we will elect tonight.  Responsibilities include overseeing the funds of the UA, preparing the annual budget, reviewing all contingency requests, helping run the FSA, and periodically auditing the records of the UA and all of its constituent parts (Constitution Article IX Section 34).
  1. Funding Steering Assembly Membership Confirmation
  1. The Funding Steering Assembly (FSA) is responsible for facilitating constructive communication between all student-run funding sources on campus and for coordinating a cohesive timeline for student group funding request timelines.  Membership is determined by the treasurer with the advice and consent of the UA.  This year’s FSA will tentatively comprise of representatives of the following student organizations
  1.  UA Budget Committee
  2. Student Activities Council (SAC)
  3. Social Planning and Events Committee (SPEC)
  4. United Minorities Council (UMC)
  5. Asian Pacific Student Coalition (APSC)
  6. UMOJA
  7. Latinx Coalition
  8. Tangible Change (T-Change)
  9. Student Sustainability Association at Penn (SSAP)
  10. Faith Fund
  11. Penn Traditions Alumni Engagement Fund (PTAEF)
  12. POCO Synergy
  13. Penn Association for Gender Equity (PAGE)
  14. Penn Wellness
  15. Assembly of International Students
  1. OFSL CFA Addition
  1. The Office of Fraternity and Sorority has created a funding grant in order to help different Greek Organizations fund events pertaining to student development/programming

Secretary’s Report

  1. Penn Labs Meeting
  1. I will be meeting with Penn Labs tomorrow morning. Penn Labs is a student run groups that is funded by the UA and has a main focus of working on technological projects for the school. At this meeting we will be discussing Penn Lab’s plan for the upcoming school year. If you have any project ideas that you could use Penn Lab’s assistance please let me know and I will contact them.
  2. Scheduled Penn Labs Meetings
  1. September 11th at 8:00 AM
  2. October 9th at 8:00 AM
  3. November TBD
  1. Attendance Policy
  1. GBM Attendance
  1. 12 meetings
  1. Must not miss more than 35% of meetings
  2. Cannot miss more than 4 GBM
  1. Half Attendance
  1. Late to meeting
  2. Leave early to meeting
  1. Notified when you are within  1.5 GBM’s of this limit
  1. Committee Attendance
  1. 13 meetings + 1 shuttle shift + 1 education portion
  1. Must not miss more than 25% of committee attendance
  1. Notified when you are 1.5 GBM’s of this limit


Academic Initiatives



Dining, Sustainability, and Facilities


Project Updates

Drive for Hurricane Victims

Authored by: Elena Hoffman

The UA is partnering with three on-campus groups (Circle K, Alpha Phi Omega, and the M&T Student Board) to organize a food drive for victims of hurricanes (particularly Harvey and Irma). We met on Wednesday, September 6th, to discuss logistics and have decided that we will be hosting the drive this upcoming week from Monday to Friday. If everything goes as planned, we will have a collection bin in every high rise building and the Quad. Jordan, the Penn UA Communications Director, will be creating cover photos and an event page to enable all UA members to advertise the event. We will likely be donating the food to Houston’s Food Bank.

Meeting with Julian Goresko

Authored by: Kyle O’Neil

On August 29th I met with Julian Goresko (Sustainability Manager for FRES) to discuss action items and points of contact for sustainability initiatives this year. Projects discussed and worked on included Greek Eco-Reps, recycling at off-campus food service locations, sustainable food truck containers, hand towel stations, automated lights, sustainable leasing, and recycling on-campus.

Penn Dining Signups through Housing Portal

Authored by: Kyle O’Neil

I had a meeting on August 25th with Barbara Lea-Kruger (Director of Communications and External Relations for Penn Business Services) and Pamela Lampitt (Director of Business and Hospitality Services for Penn Dining) to discuss the outcome of signups for Dining Plans through the housing signup process. 974 students out of 4,000 who signed up for housing also signed up for the non-mandatory dining plans. Students who signed up for a dining plan and did not receive their desired housing were contacted to see if they wanted to void the dining plan. The dining plans were otherwise nonrefundable, which was marked on the Penn Dining website and in the Terms and Conditions of the agreement. In the future, the Penn Dining team plans to make the nonrefundable condition of the dining plan signup clearer.

Completion Reports

Penn Dining X UA Thermos Program

Authored by: Kyle O’Neil

Following discussions with Pamela Lampitt (Director of Business and Hospitality Services for Penn Dining) at the end of last year, we designed and gave out vacuum flasks branded with the Penn Dining and UA logo to all on-campus residents for the 2017-2018 academic year. Use of these flasks is associated with $1 coffee refills at on-campus dining locations in order to promote sustainable container usage.  Flasks will be available for purchase for $7.95 at select on-campus locations.


Social Justice



Student Life



External Seats



Minutes



General Body Meeting

9/10/17

9:00PM Benjamin Franklin Room, Houston Hall

  1. Roll Call
  1. 23 Members Present
  1. Open Forum
  1. Sofia: Pay it forward event for all boards on Class Board. We will have note cards to do good things around campus. Looking for UA members to partner with us. Let Sola or Kanishka know. Nice to have Sophomore or Junior help us right after Fall Break
  2. George: Would you take note cards to front desks?
  3. Sofia: That is why we need people from all different majors. We will decide on it later and need multiple people from different years.
  4. Samara: The DPS has been especially harsh on ending parties early. Totally understandable to have it under control. I’d like to address that people believe it is the task force, however the task force was dissolved. Task forced discussed ideas on how to handle things but the recent events are not the task force. Some unintended consequence have occurred out of Penn’s jurisdiction. Expensive and dangerous for students to go off campus. Some incident where it is taken to an extreme.
  5. Jason: Is there any current dialogue with the task force?
  6. Michelle: I was on the task force, and we will bring it up to VPUL and DPS.
  7. Natasha: Michelle can you send an all school email about the events because it is mandatory
  8. Jordan: What is the event on Wednesday?
  9. Michael: We are Penn Campus Community Discussion. A discussion of administrators and Michelle will present on safe recruitment practices. It will be an educational forum for clubs. Email was sent to clubs on GOP
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Upcoming Admin Meetings
  1. Counseling and Psychological Services
  1. Michelle: Tuesday we will meet with CAPS. Discuss the club recruitment project
  2. Maria: I did icare training for 3 hours and it was a very good three hours. It taught me how to comfort people.
  3. Simon: I did icare training for my fraternity and it was a helpful experience. I think it would be great to offer it to other students
  4. Michelle; I would look into UA members to do icare
  5. Sam: I think everyone should do icare but the link fills up fast
  1. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  1. Michelle: I will attend the meeting on Wednesday with Sean. It is with Beth Winkelstein
  1. Provost Wendell Pritchett
  1. Michelle: He is our new Provost and cabinet will meet with him
  1. NSO Presentation
  1. Michelle: Jay and I spoke at DPS presentation for new freshman. We met a lot of safety dogs
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. University Council
  1. History
  1. Jay: How many people know what University Council is? It is a representative forum that advises senior administration. Council has five committees that have different charges. Focused on Undergraduate issues. Many of those seem familiar because they are the same
  1. Past Meeting
  1. Jay: Each meeting has a focus issue. It was held this past Wednesday. Latinx made statement on DACA. Everyone is allowed to come to these meetings
  1. UA Steering
  1. History
  1. Jay: All of you should be familiar with UA Steering, we discuss most pressing issues on campus. We have many administrators and staff come in. We have power to pass resolution and these are off-record meetings. Held in Huntsman F55. All UA members can attend
  1. Past Meeting
  1. First meeting this Tuesday.
  2. Jason: Have you changed UA steering
  3. Jay: It was not a structural change but rather connection with UA Body
  1. UA Report
  1. NSO Events
  1. Michael: Thank you for those of you that helped us. We have a bunch of ice cream left over.
  1. Slack
  1. Michael: We have recently made move to Slack. I have saved photos from groupme. It keeps everything in one workspace. Lot of great features. Everyone should be
  2. Brian; Turn on notifications
  3. Samara: How to slack?
  1. Social Media Consent
  1. Jordan: Started on September 1st. Huge amount of likes this past week. We are almost at 1800 likes. Starting tomorrow I will close the contest.
  1. Retreat
  1. Michael: We have a group retreat. Saturday October 14-15 at Chaminoux Park. Similar to last year. Arrive on campus for lunch for education. We will have education and it will count for attendance. We will get to Chaminoux through cars. We will do team building at the Chaminoux. 12 on Saturday- 12 on Sunday.
  2. George: Add it to the google calendar
  3. Michael: I will add it to the google calendar. Calendar will send out info every week
  1. External Seats
  1. Michael; Some last minute seats. I’m still contacting with administrators. If you have a conflict please let me know and I can work with the people.
  1. New Student Election Timeline
  1. Michael: We will know who our new members are on September 20th. Nile and Max will create welcome week for the new members. Have a bunch of events that are all individually driven
  2. Max: They are elected on Wednesday night. We  will have a chill night on Thursday. Every night from 5-8 PM the new members can hang out with. We will make google sheet
  3. Simon: Are AMs going to go on retreat?
  4. Michael: I have given a lot of thought. They will not be included in the welcome week. They will not be coming to retreat because of funding costs. The AMs must go to GBMs in the semester
  5. Sam: Make sure the AMs feel welcome and treat them as full members
  1. Member of the Week
  1. Michael: Every week the UA celebrates one of our members
  2. Samara: This week’s member has come to almost all of the events. Has been a big contributor. Is the newest member of the UA. Congrats Anthony Williams!
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1.  Election of Budget and Finance Committee 2017-2018
  1. Sam: We will elect 2 new members to help me run the budget and assist me. Someone in the UA will be nominated and have 3 minutes to speak and then there will be a Q andA period.
  2. Kyel: I nominate Arjun
  3. Arjun: I accept
  4. Natasha: I nominate Jason and Elena
  5. Jason; I accept
  6. Sam: Elena has pre recorded speech but will not be in Q and A
  7. Arjun: I am Arjun and I am a sophomore. I would really like to emphasize transparency and communication between the branches of student government. I has a few ideas about contingency funding, by loosening the rules. I felt that our food cost rule could be loosened, it can afford to be loosened. I think contingency can be loosened. I consider myself dedicated and can meet deadlines. I am in to quantitative analysis. UA is my main commitment. I do radio show 1 hour and special olympics 3 hours.
  8. Jason: I am Jason and am excited to be here. I would love to be on budget committee because my involvement on CB and UA gives me a wide connection to PSG branches. I am 100% neutral I told everyone on Class Board that I would not be involved. I am detail oriented. I very suitable for the role because of UNICEF. I am very aware. I would love to develop as a leader working under Sam Shea. I would like to use my skills and passions to help.
  9. Elena: Being a student at Penn is very rewarding. As a low income student I have learned how to budget very early on. I would like to take my experience on the UA to help the budget. During the past year I was unaware of what to do for budget. This coming year I want the whole body to help us all be fully involved and aware. I think the committee will not grant more money than requested. I would be more than happy to work aside Sam. I believe her knowledge will help me but I will also disagree. I serve as treasurer of GPA organization and I am the SAC representative for GPA. I know that serving on budget committee will be no easy feat.
  10. Samara: Can we explain requirements of budget committee
  11. Sam: Main responsibility occurs in second semester when we allocate funding. We handle all contingency requests. We meet with Penn Labs and hold consultations with other groups
  12. Kanishka: What are you commitments?
  13. Jason: I prioritize my academics. I have dropped all of my rushing I am in UA and CB. I want to prioritize academics
  14. Arjun: I have a radio show and special olympics. Very low commitment outside of UA. UA is my main thing and I will focus all of my time on the UA
  15. Arjun: Our main job is to advise Sam on her jobs. We follow Sam and also not be afraid to disagree.
  16. Jason: We have a lot of different thoughts. Sam will always have the last say. I believe anyone can say no
  17. Jordan: What will be your biggest challenge on budget?
  18. Arjun: Transparency and communication. Ensuring everyone is aware of what they have to do
  19. Jason: We had internal issues about things we wanted to discuss. I want to improve our training and excited to find what Sam sees in her audits. I think with Sam’s leadership it can be good
  20. Michael: What knowledge do you have of the common funding application
  21. Jason: I think it would be more important to show what other skills of funding I have. I served on UNICEF and handled the budget. I am excited to utilize my skills on the real world
  22. Arjun: I do not have any major funding experience. It is not too difficult for me to pick up the skills
  23. Maria: How many people do we pick?
  24. Sam: We pick two
  25. George: How did you fundraise $600,000?
  26. Jason: I unfortunately did not play direct role on how that money was allocated. I will talk about the funding. We separated U.S.A. into 6 regions and we decided to communicate with people in those regions. It helped me improve my macro management skills.
  27. Samara: What conflicts of interest do you hold?
  28. Jason: Weeks before the budget began I did not communicate with class board. I stayed out of class board budget. I took 100% precautions
  29. Arjun: I go to the radio station. The club does not get club funding.
  30. Jay: Many external clubs have questions about funding. What ideas dso you have for advocacy?
  31. Jason: I think structuring UA Steering can train clubs. We can hold one on one consultations. Many ways to improve
  32. Arjun: Jaso said everything. If I were on budget committee I would be happy to meet with those groups.
  33. Sam: Motion to ascend into executive session
  1. Funding Steering Assembly Membership Confirmation
  1. Sam: Funding Steering assembly. Goal is to increase communication between all funding sources.
  2. Jay: How often does it meet
  3. Sam: Three times
  4. Kyle: Motion to the previous question
  5. Michael: Motion to vote by acclamation means when I say I you can vote yes
  6. Michael: Confirmed
  1. OFSL CFA Addition
  1. Sam: CFA is common funding APP. They are all funding sources. OFSL is adding their own funding sources of 10,000 grant per academic years.
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Penn Labs Upcoming Meeting
  1. Tomorrow we will have our Penn Labs meeting at 8am. We will be talking about teh projects they worked on in the summer in teh upcoming year. We will also try to work on transparency so we all know what they are working on. They will be providing us with weekly updates.
  1. Sam-please have one of them reach out to me for penn CFA
  1. Attendance Policy
  1. We have 12 meetings for the semesters. You can miss more than 35 % of the meetings so that is 4 meetings. I will notify you when you are 1.5 meeting away from being removed from the body and also 5.
  2. There will be 15 committee meetings including the educational portion of the retreat and the airport shuttles.
  1. Kanishka- Is it the same policy as last year for GBM?
  1. Yes
  1. Maria- Transparency was talked about a lot in the secretary elections. The student body should also know what projects we are working on. Do you have any thoughts about how we can improve transparency through this?
  1. Jordan- We have James this year as our DP liasion. He has been very active as opposed to other reporters in the past. He reached out to exec and Cabinet members. We are also looking into project highlights so the student body knows about these projects.
  2. Brian- There will also be a project master list
  3. Natasha- how many meetings can one miss for committee?
  1. Brian- we are still figuring out
  1. Sam- will the minutes be sent out to the DP?
  2. Simon- What about airport shuttles?
  1. Brian- we will get to that
  1. Academic Initiatives
  2. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  1. Project Updates
  1. Drive for Hurricane Victims
  1. Kyle: We are trying to organize food drive for hurricane victims. There is a Slack thread. Penn Dining would like DP donate page of advertising
  2. Sam: how will we get things to Texas?
  3. Kyle: We will find someone to transport stuff
  1. Meeting with Julian Goresko
  1. Kyle: I went to the sustainability meeting. We are trying to get more representatives.
  2. Natasha: What is a sustainable lease?
  3. Kyle: only give recycling to places with contracts
  4. Kyle: Hand towel stations can be replaced with automatic hand dryers. We can save money
  5. George: Are automated one less sanitary?
  6. Jay; paper towels are more sanitary
  1. Penn Dining Signups through Housing Portal
  1. Kyle: There was confusion. They got many students to accidentally sign up. They were going to try and get refunds. It is more integrated
  2. Jay: Main title does not even say dining. They should be separate forms.
  3. Samara: Change the title of the form to make it more clear
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Penn Dining X UA Thermos Program
  1. Kyle: Nice water bottles were given to all students on campus. You can receive discount with bottles on campus. They cost 7.95$. They are trying to sell them in the bookstore
  2. Sam; Is there anywhere where you can fill up bottle?
  3. Kyle: Van Pelt, Joe’s Cafe, Engineering, Huntsman. Some background information about the program
  4. Sam: Is there a place where you fill them up online
  5. Kyle: It is not online but coffee was upgraded.
  6. Michelle: I think this was a great project!
  1. Social Justice
  2. Student Life
  3. External Seats
  4. Communications


Reports


President’s Report

  1. Upcoming Admin Meetings
  1. Counseling and Psychological Services
  1. Cabinet will be meeting with CAPS this Tuesday, 9/12/17, to discuss projects such as club recruitment and semester-length mental health leaves along with potential future collaborations.
  1. Council of Undergraduate Deans
  1. I will be meeting with CUD this Wednesday, 9/13/17.  CUD is chaired by the Vice Provost for Education, Dr. Beth Winkelstein, and meets to discuss issues of mutual concern to the four undergraduate schools and establish unified policies.
  1. Provost Wendell Pritchett
  1. Cabinet will be meeting with the new Provost this Friday, 9/15/17, to discuss the goals of the UA this upcoming session and possible future collaborations.
  1. NSO Presentation
  1. Jay and I were asked to speak at the Department of Public Safety presentation for all new incoming Penn students.  The presentation included subjects such as the Walking Escort Services, Netter Center resources, fire and emergency services, MERT, medical amnesty, Penn Help line, anti-hazing, UPennAlert, Penn Guardian, and other special services.

Vice-President’s Report

  1. University Council
  1. History
  1. University Council is a broad representative forum that aims to not only consider the activities of Penn in all its phases but also serve as an advisory board to the senior administration. The members of the University Council include senior administrators, faculty, staff, and undergraduate and graduate students. The Council has 5 Standing Committees 4 of which directly impact student life. These are the following: Committee on Campus and Community Life, Committee on Academic and Related Affairs, Committee on Diversity and Equity, and Committee on Facilities. In a given year, committees will focus on issues mentioned in their charges for the year.
  1. Past Meeting
  1. The first University Council meeting was held this past Wednesday. In addition to presenting the charges for the committees for the upcoming year and focus issues for each Council meeting, there was also a presentation on Year of Innovation. A statement was made by Latinx Coalition on DACA and suggestions were provided to senior administration as to what actions they could take to best support students.  
  1. UA Steering
  1. History
  1. UA Steering is a representative forum that includes about 40 student groups aimed at discussing the most pressing and important issues facing students on campus. Administrators are brought in to facilitate the discussion and clarify policy questions that students may have. UA Steering also does have the power to pass resolutions, and put items on the UA agenda. These meetings are held bi-weekly on Tuesdays from 7:30-8:30. This is a off-record, closed-door meeting. However, UA members are special observers and may attend the meetings.
  1. Next Meeting
  1. The first UA Steering meeting will be this Tuesday, September 12, from 7:30-8:30 in Huntsman F55.

UA Report

  1. NSO Events
  1. Thank you to everyone who attended our NSO/Labor Day Weekend Events (SAC Fair, PSG Info Session, PSG Carnival, Ice Cream Social, and UA Info Session)! We had great turnout from our membership and will hopefully get some great new members in the next few weeks.
  1. Slack
  1.  At this point, everyone should be on Slack. Following this GBM, I will no longer be posting any information or updates to GroupMe, and expect everyone to do the same. Slack provides all the same features as GroupMe, as well as calendar synchronization, multiple reacts to messages, the ability to delineate business and social threads, and the organization kept all in one “workspace”.
  2. If you have questions about Slack features or how to use it, please see me after GBM.
  1.   Social Media Contest
  1. Jordan has been running a social media contest to boost our likes on Facebook and followers on Twitter. Please invite your friends to like our pages @pennua by 11:59pm on September 10th.
  1.  Retreat
  1.  Retreat will take place from Saturday, October 14th to Sunday, October 15th at Chamounix Mansion in Fairmount Park. The run time will be noon on Saturday to noon on Sunday. Per UA Bylaws s.8(a), the mandatory education portion will take place on campus (location TBD) and will run from approximately 12-3pm. Attendance is expected of all members on the full duration of the retreat barring outstanding conflict.
  2. Please speak to me after the GBM for any special considerations you may have.
  3.  There will be a regularly-scheduled GBM on Sunday, October 15th.
  1.   External Seats
  1. By now, everyone should have received their external seat assignments. I am in the process of hearing back from administrators and committee chairs.  on the meeting schedules, and will keep you posted as I receive information.
  1.  New Student Elections Timeline
  1. Information Forms Due – 9/12
  2. Signatures & Candidate Statement Due – 9/13
  3. Candidates’ Meeting – 9/13
  4.  Monetary Campaigning Begins – 9/15
  5.  Voting Period – 9/18-9/20
  6. FPC Hearing (if necessary) – 9/24
  7. Max Grove and Nile Nwogu are taking the lead in our new member welcome programming. Be on the lookout for information on that later this week.
  1. Member of the Week. This week’s member of the week is...

Treasurer’s Report

  1.  Election of Budget and Finance Committee 2017-2018
  1. This committee is comprised of the treasurer and two additional UA members, which we will elect tonight.  Responsibilities include overseeing the funds of the UA, preparing the annual budget, reviewing all contingency requests, helping run the FSA, and periodically auditing the records of the UA and all of its constituent parts (Constitution Article IX Section 34).
  1. Funding Steering Assembly Membership Confirmation
  1. The Funding Steering Assembly (FSA) is responsible for facilitating constructive communication between all student-run funding sources on campus and for coordinating a cohesive timeline for student group funding request timelines.  Membership is determined by the treasurer with the advice and consent of the UA.  This year’s FSA will tentatively comprise of representatives of the following student organizations
  1.  UA Budget Committee
  2. Student Activities Council (SAC)
  3. Social Planning and Events Committee (SPEC)
  4. United Minorities Council (UMC)
  5. Asian Pacific Student Coalition (APSC)
  6. UMOJA
  7. Latinx Coalition
  8. Tangible Change (T-Change)
  9. Student Sustainability Association at Penn (SSAP)
  10. Faith Fund
  11. Penn Traditions Alumni Engagement Fund (PTAEF)
  12. POCO Synergy
  13. Penn Association for Gender Equity (PAGE)
  14. Penn Wellness
  15. Assembly of International Students
  1. OFSL CFA Addition
  1. The Office of Fraternity and Sorority has created a funding grant in order to help different Greek Organizations fund events pertaining to student development/programming

Secretary’s Report

  1. Penn Labs Meeting
  1. I will be meeting with Penn Labs tomorrow morning. Penn Labs is a student run groups that is funded by the UA and has a main focus of working on technological projects for the school. At this meeting we will be discussing Penn Lab’s plan for the upcoming school year. If you have any project ideas that you could use Penn Lab’s assistance please let me know and I will contact them.
  2. Scheduled Penn Labs Meetings
  1. September 11th at 8:00 AM
  2. October 9th at 8:00 AM
  3. November TBD
  1. Attendance Policy
  1. GBM Attendance
  1. 12 meetings
  1. Must not miss more than 35% of meetings
  2. Cannot miss more than 4 GBM
  1. Half Attendance
  1. Late to meeting
  2. Leave early to meeting
  1. Notified when you are within  1.5 GBM’s of this limit
  1. Committee Attendance
  1. 13 meetings + 1 shuttle shift + 1 education portion
  1. Must not miss more than 25% of committee attendance
  1. Notified when you are 1.5 GBM’s of this limit


Academic Initiatives



Dining, Sustainability, and Facilities


Project Updates

Drive for Hurricane Victims

Authored by: Elena Hoffman

The UA is partnering with three on-campus groups (Circle K, Alpha Phi Omega, and the M&T Student Board) to organize a food drive for victims of hurricanes (particularly Harvey and Irma). We met on Wednesday, September 6th, to discuss logistics and have decided that we will be hosting the drive this upcoming week from Monday to Friday. If everything goes as planned, we will have a collection bin in every high rise building and the Quad. Jordan, the Penn UA Communications Director, will be creating cover photos and an event page to enable all UA members to advertise the event. We will likely be donating the food to Houston’s Food Bank.

Meeting with Julian Goresko

Authored by: Kyle O’Neil

On August 29th I met with Julian Goresko (Sustainability Manager for FRES) to discuss action items and points of contact for sustainability initiatives this year. Projects discussed and worked on included Greek Eco-Reps, recycling at off-campus food service locations, sustainable food truck containers, hand towel stations, automated lights, sustainable leasing, and recycling on-campus.

Penn Dining Signups through Housing Portal

Authored by: Kyle O’Neil

I had a meeting on August 25th with Barbara Lea-Kruger (Director of Communications and External Relations for Penn Business Services) and Pamela Lampitt (Director of Business and Hospitality Services for Penn Dining) to discuss the outcome of signups for Dining Plans through the housing signup process. 974 students out of 4,000 who signed up for housing also signed up for the non-mandatory dining plans. Students who signed up for a dining plan and did not receive their desired housing were contacted to see if they wanted to void the dining plan. The dining plans were otherwise nonrefundable, which was marked on the Penn Dining website and in the Terms and Conditions of the agreement. In the future, the Penn Dining team plans to make the nonrefundable condition of the dining plan signup clearer.

Completion Reports

Penn Dining X UA Thermos Program

Authored by: Kyle O’Neil

Following discussions with Pamela Lampitt (Director of Business and Hospitality Services for Penn Dining) at the end of last year, we designed and gave out vacuum flasks branded with the Penn Dining and UA logo to all on-campus residents for the 2017-2018 academic year. Use of these flasks is associated with $1 coffee refills at on-campus dining locations in order to promote sustainable container usage.  Flasks will be available for purchase for $7.95 at select on-campus locations.


Social Justice



Student Life



External Seats



Minutes