Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – July 10, 2019
Tom Vanderputten Glen Bixler Keith Loutzenhiser Nick Christofeno Jim Philips Mike Beachy
Leonard Gustin Lee Troyer Mark Holcomb Cody Bettis
- The meeting minutes for June 12, 2019 were approved.
- June 30th Mike reported catching an 18” rainbow and several browns and stocked rainbows. Despite this success it has been a difficult year for fly fishing for trout. The Little Elkhart remains high and muddy (at the brink of overflowing) and tough to fish at times. The Rowe-Eden is only marginally better. Nick also reported the difficult water conditions. The other members present who have been fishing agreed with these observations.
- Keith Loutzenhiser reported a total balance of $ 30,473.27 in all accounts as of June 2019.
- LECTU received $ 100 from Dr. Burns.
- Due to a change in the Indiana Gaming Rules, LECTU may need to resubmit our information. Keith will investigate and inform the membership.
- Brandon sent a LECTU communications notice with the summer work day schedule.
- Mike received an email from Jordan Miller (Pennsylvania fly fisherman) in our area for a wedding. He fished the Little Elkhart in the catch/release area above Riverbend Park and caught a rainbow.
- The Summer Newsletter is scheduled to be released in August.
Brown Trout Stocking
- 500 browns were planted on May 17th. The browns were all in the 7” range and fat/healthy.
- 150 went in the Well Field and 350 went in at the Meadow (Yoder Farm). None were stocked at the Hoover Woods as it was too muddy for the truck.
- LECTU shared the delivery costs with the Isaac Walton League since they stocked Judy Creek.
- LECTU will stock another 500 browns in the Little Elkhart this fall (2019).
- Lee Troyer will contact the hatchery to try to schedule the fall stocking in conjunction with the Isaac Walton League to again defray the transportation costs.
Corson County Park
- Mike and Nick met with Ronda DeCaire of the Elkhart County Parks on June 28th. The Park Board wants the LECTU to refrain from contacting the property home owners until the park land is re-zoned for recreational use.
- There will be a public meeting for the rezoning and at that time the Park Board and LECTU will be able to the determine the property owners interest in the catch/release proposal.
- When the time is appropriate to meet the property owners Ronda has requested to be present along with representatives from LECTU. We do have the plot map and list of the owners.
- The boundary of the catch/release area needs to be determined. The options would be at the end of the park or down to County Rd. 10.
- Ronda DeCaire is going to speak with Larry Koza regarding the development of the park and its intended natural purpose.
Advanced Fly Casting
- Charlie Ray is now certified to perform casting proficiency evaluations for Fly Fishing International members.
- The classification levels are bronze, silver, and gold.
- The Middlebury Parks event will be August 24 at Riverbend Park
- LECTU will have a booth at this event.
- Nick Christofeno is the LECTU person for this event.
Middlebury Parks Fishing Derby
- This event will be held in August and the town of Middlebury has requested assistance from LECTU.
- The date is August 10th. LECTU volunteers would serve as judges.
- Keith will lead the LECTU effort and will contact Tom at the Middlebury parks department.
- Mark Holcomb, Glen Bixler have volunteered. Brandon may also participate.
LECTU Summer Workdays
- The following will be the work days for the stream restoration and preservation work. These are all Saturdays. July 13th, 27th. August 3rd, 17th. September 7th.
- Since the River will be too high on the July 13th work day other activity will be pursued. These include cutting a trail on Wilbur’s property. Securing a new tree that has fallen in the river. Prepping for the log wall to be ready if the river is down by July 27th.
- Mike will purchase a chainsaw for LECTU. This was approved at a previous meeting. In addition Mike has purchased equipment at Big R for use on the river projects.
- Matt Miller scout master has a fence style crossing project and has requested assistance from LECTU. This has been postponed since Steve Mack has requested LECTU to assist his son on a similar project.
Annual LECTU Outing 2020
- Planning will begin to source the main speaker for the outing for next year.
Next Meeting – August 14th, 2019 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten - Secretary