Coach Code of Conduct
MISSION: To increase the level of play, improve the quality of coaching, and allow for faster development of our players.
The coach’s role is one of teaching soccer skills and sportsmanship to players. The coach is responsible for communicating practice and game times to the players and parents. The Coach will make a reasonably diligent effort to minimize texting or messaging with individual players directly whenever practicable. To the extent that the Coach must text or message a player directly, he or she will undertake all reasonable steps to confine the communication to subjects concerning soccer related activity in an effort to avoid the appearance of inappropriate behavior with any player. Whenever practicable, the Coach will share information about team activities and HVS events (including games and practices) via text or direct message to all players and parents as a group. In the event that the Coach needs to discuss an issue related to a specific player, the Coach will attempt to include the player’s parent or appropriate HVS personnel in the communication, unless doing so would endanger the player’s physical or emotional safety or well-being.
The coach is also responsible for monitoring the behavior of the players and parents during practice and games. All coaches within the soccer program will promote good sportsmanship among players, foster team camaraderie, and help participants have fun while teaching players the technical skills of soccer. Unsportsmanlike conduct of coaches will not be tolerated by the program. Each coach agrees to this Code of Conduct, certifies that he/she is familiar with US Club Rules and will abide by them and acknowledges that coaching in the soccer program is a privilege and not a right. Each Coach will ensure that his/her conduct sets a good example for team members and spectators. To meet these responsibilities, the Coach will:
- Be a positive role model for youth by maintaining an attitude of respect, loyalty, patience, courtesy, tact, and maturity.
- Treat all players with respect and consideration and treat all players equally regardless of sex, race, religion, culture.
- Respect opposing players, coaches and spectators. Be gracious in victory and dignified in defeat.
- Respect the game officials. Refrain from questioning their decisions or challenging their authority.
- Support other HVS coaches, teams, and players.
- Understand the laws of the game and ensure that players understand and follow them.
- Use positive techniques of guidance, including redirection, positive reinforcement and encouragement rather than criticism. Coaching from the sidelines during games should be limited, specific and positive.
- Be punctual and prepared for all training sessions and games.
- Do not leave any training sessions or games until all players have been picked up.
- Be neat and clean and wear HVS attire to all training sessions and games in accordance with Club uniform contracts.
- Not use tobacco, alcohol, or illegal substances during any training sessions and games.
- Not engage in any type of abusive conduct or improper contact or relationships with players.
- Promptly report any inappropriate, abusive, or harassing behavior to the HVS Executive Directors or other members of the HVS Board of Directors.
- Adhere to the HVS Goal Safety Policy and other policies established by HVS always.
- Adhere to the HVS Harassment/Abuse Prevention Policy.
- Adhere to the HVS Social Media and Digital Communication policy.
- Learn and respect the rules of soccer and the rules of our leagues and associations.
- Not engage in unsportsmanlike conduct towards any other coach, player, parent, official or any other attendee.
- Not engage in any behavior which would endanger the health, safety, or well-being of any coach, parent, player, participant, official, or any other attendee.
- Not use drugs, alcohol or tobacco products while involved in any youth soccer activities, whether training, attending games, or officiating.
- Not use profanity, obscenity or any other offensive language.
- Endeavor to ensure that no parents, spectators or anyone associated with our team will use profanity, obscenity or any other offensive language while within hearing distance of players or officials.
- Not engage in verbal or physical abuse towards any other coach, player, parent, participant, or official.
- This Code of Conduct is designed to establish reasonable, high standards for players, coaches, and parents who wish to participate in HVS activities.
- The code is designed to help support all involved in their effort to provide a positive learning experience.