Cosplay Mania Cup 2018
General Mechanics, Rules and Procedure
Cosplay Mania Cup
The Cosplay Mania Cup is a multi-event tournament series where the winners of several contests will match up once again on Sunday, September 30, 2018 at Cosplay Mania '18 for a thrilling competition with P100,000 worth of cash and prizes will be up for grabs.
Cosplay Mania Cup Mechanics
- In this competition, only a limited number of slots will be open with each slot being filled by winners of several competitions. The slots will be filled up as follows:
- Cosplay Carnival: Best Male (1 slot) and Best Female (1 slot)
- Cosplay Craze: 1st Place for Junior Division and 1st to 3rd Place for All-Star Division (Total of 4 slots per leg; 3 legs total)
- Anime and Cosplay eXpo (ACX): Overall Champion (1 slot)
- Cosplay Solo Showdown at Cosplay Mania 2018: Best Agility (1 slot), Best Hybrid (1 slot) and Best Assault (1 slot)
- This contest is an open category, solo cosplay event – participants can cosplay any character that they want from any genre whether it's from an anime, manga, games, comics books, movies, western animation, etc. Original Characters are not qualified.
- Past Cosplay Mania Cup winners are not allowed to join the contest, unless they wear a completely different costume.
- If a Cosplayer already has a slot and secures another one, the next-highest award will be given the slot instead. For instance, if Cosplayer A already won First Place in one Cosplay Craze leg and they won again in another leg, the Second Place winner will be given the slot.
- Cosplayers must use the same costume that they participated in before, but they are allowed to upgrade the costume or props used in the skit.
- Contestants under eighteen (18) years of age as of cosplay event date must have their parent/s and/or legal guardian/s sign the waiver/image release form which will be distributed at the event.
- Contestants must submit the following items:
- The competitor's real name;
- The competitor's stage name;
- The competitor's working contact details (mobile phone AND email);
- The name of the character that the cosplayer is cosplaying as;
- The series from which the character came from;
- The competitor's half body photo while not wearing a costume;
- Character reference picture;
- A front full-body photo of the competitor wearing the finished costume;
- A side full-body photo of the competitor wearing the finished costume.
The information above must be truthful; falsifying any of the information will result in instant disqualification and the contestant will not be allowed to join the succeeding year's competition as an additional penalty. All registration information will be kept in the strictest of confidence and other competitors will not be informed whether a particular competitor has entered the contest or not.
Photos must be clear and unedited. As a rule, photos should be at least 600 pixels by 800 pixels and the costume's details must be clearly visible. All photos should be compressed in a single zip file with their CC and their real name as the file name (ie. CCBruceWayne.zip.)
Costumes that have won in past Cosplay Mania events are disqualified from joining. Original characters are also not allowed to join the contest.
- Contestants are allowed a maximum of two (2) minutes to perform their skit on stage. Exceeding the time limit will result in a score penalty.
- Contestants are allowed a maximum of three (3) stage props that they can use in their performance. This stage prop must be removed promptly after their performance and must not cause problems for the performance of the next contestant or damage any of the stage fixtures.
- Contestants are allowed a maximum of two (2) human props or assistants who they can interact with (this means either two (2) human props OR two (2) assistants or one (1) of each only.) The human prop may be in costume, but must not be another competitor. Assistants must wear black when they are on stage.
- Fanservice (ie. yaoi, yuri, etc.) is allowed but should be “General Patronage”. Any kind of extreme kind of fanservice (ie. kissing, PDA, etc.) that is deemed inappropriate for minors are strictly prohibited. Keep in mind the event is a wholesome and a General Patronage event.
- Costumes that are too revealing (ie. exposes private parts) are prohibited. Scantily clad and/or sexy costumes are allowed but are not encouraged. Cosplay Organizers and the Cosplay.ph management team have the right to disqualify any participant on this ground.
- All kinds of costume props must be handled with utmost care and must not be harmful to his/her fellow cosplayers, event staff and event attendees. Any kind of sharp and/or bladed objects that will be used as costume props that could cut human flesh are strictly prohibited. Any kind of pyrotechnic equipment/s that will be used as costume props that could render damage to the venue and/or property is strictly prohibited.
- The Cosplay Organizers, Cosplay.ph Management Team, and its staff will not be held responsible for damage or injury resulting from mishandling and/or negligence of a cosplayer in his/her use of props/materials throughout the duration of the event.
- The Cosplay Organizers reserve the right to disqualify any cosplayer who ignores and/or violates any of the aforementioned guidelines.
- The judges’ decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
- Registration and participation to contest constitutes that the cosplayer gives the right and the authority to Cosplay.ph organizers/staff, its sponsors and authorized press media to take pictures and/or videos of registered cosplayers and will be the sole property of the organizers/staff, its sponsors and authorized press media to be used for future publications and/or advertising promotions.
Picture Reference Guidelines
- All cosplay registrants need submit a printed colored full-body picture of the character that they will be cosplaying. Only official art or screenshot will be allowed. Photos of the actual cosplayer in his costume does not constitute a valid picture reference.
- Penalties may apply if the picture reference is insufficient or if no picture reference is submitted (see below under Judging Penalties.)
- All pictures must NOT go below 3x4 inches (wallet size) and must NOT go beyond 8.5x11 inches (short bond paper size).
ATTENDANCE, ASSISTANTS AND CALL TIMES
All Cosplay Mania Cup Finalists, assistants and human props will be required to confirm their attendance at the Cosplay registration desk on or before 12:00 noon on September 30, 2018. They will be provided a contestant number and tag upon confirmation. They will then proceed to the pre-judging area. They must be present at the holding area no later than 1:30 PM to prepare for the catwalk in full costume. Please take note that all contestants, their respective assistants and/or human props are still required to purchase a Silver or Gold Ticket to be able to enter Halls 1-3.
Any human props or assistants in excess of the two (2) human prop or assistant rule will be asked to leave the backstage area, but may view the show from the audience area.
the following are the criteria that the judges will be using to score the contestant's costume and performance.
Craftsmanship (30%): The overall quality of the costume's construction including durability, level of difficulty and attention to detail.
Stage Performance (30%): The showmanship of the stage performance including the impact of the poses as well as the flashiness of their moves and fluidity of execution.
Accuracy (30%): How accurate the costume is to the original source material. This includes not only the costume but also the poses and moves of the contestant.
Technological Integration (10%): The addition of technological enhancements to improve the costume. This includes light effects, integration of gadgetry and mechanical enhancements to improve the overall effect of the performance.
In addition to the judging scores, penalties will be imposed on the following rule infractions:
- Exceeding Time Limit (5% Infraction): For every one (1) minute or fraction thereof that the performance exceeds the time limit of two (2) minutes, a 5% score deduction will be applied.
- Unsportsmanlike Conduct (10% Infraction): For actions that are demeaning to the other contestants or that incite conflict in the competition or the use of vulgarity on the audience, judges, event staff or other contestants, a 10% score deduction will be applied. If this unsportsmanlike conduct continues, it may result in disqualification and ejection from the venue grounds.
- Intentional Violation of Contest Rules (20% Infraction plus 1-Season Suspension): For proven cases of cheating, dishonesty and sabotage, a 20% score deduction will be applied. In addition, the offending contestant will be given a 1-Season Suspension where they will be unable to join the competition for the remainder of the competition as well as the next year's competition.
- 1 Stage Prop Rule Violation (5% Infraction): For every one (1) prop in excess of the three (3) stage prop limit, a 5% score deduction will be applied.
- Incomplete Picture Reference (5% Infraction): If the picture reference is black and white or the picture is half-body or partially obscured so that details of the character cannot be seen.
- Missing Picture Reference (10% Infraction): If no picture reference is submitted.
The Judges’ decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
At the end of the event, the scores will be tabulated and the highest scores based on the costumes and performances will be determined. Ties will be broken based on the discretion of the judges. The awards will be as follows:
- Third Place – P20,000 worth of cash and prizes
- Second Place – P30,000 worth of cash and prizes
- First Place – P50,000 worth of cash and prizes
All winners must be present for the awarding ceremony and must be in full costume. If the winner is not present during the awarding ceremony, the next highest scoring competitor will be awarded the prize instead. If there is a compelling reason for the contestant not to be present during the awarding ceremony, they will be required to inform an organizer beforehand and provide a proxy for themselves during the awarding ceremony.
The Cosplay Mania® Cup is the sole property of Cosplay.ph®. The guidelines cannot be copied and/or replicated and/or reproduced for any other event and/or contest without the consent and/or permission from its parent owners.