THE CHIMES // Staff Writer
Basic function and responsibility:
A Chimes staff writer is responsible for writing at least one story a week for their section (news, sports, arts & entertainment, or opinions). They are required to adhere to AP style, produce convergent elements, and adhere to more intense standards than freelancers during the editing process. The ideal candidate has an attention to detail, knows the needs of their section, and is willing to go the extra mile for producing a good story.
1. Write a minimum of one story per week.
2. Attend weekly writer’s meeting.
3. Pitch stories that relate to their section to their section editor.
4. Complete the editing process in an accelerated fashion alongside section editor.
5. For News and Sports, oversee one or two particular beats, producing stories from that area or subject and keeping the editor informed of pertinent developments.
Supervision Received: Editor-in-Chief, Managing Editor, section editor, copy editors.
Supervision of Others: No direct supervision of others.
General: Strong writing and reporting skills and news sense. Flexible attitude. Strong communication skills. Demonstrate superior knowledge of AP style, Google Docs, journalism basics. Good interpersonal skills.
Education and Experience: At the time of election or appointment, have completed at least one semester at Biola University with a full-time student status and currently be enrolled as a full-time student. During the term of service, maintain a full-time student status. Prior work or class experience in journalism/film production is preferred.
This position receives a leadership scholarship. In order to retain their scholarship, the staff member must hold to expectations as outlined in a rubric.