Hammonton Green Committee Minutes April 1, 2019
Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall
Green Committee Members:
X Jeanette DePiero X Mica McCullough X Amy Menzel X Linda Esposito
X Kerri Patton __Sara Verrillo __Jen Rajkowski __ Steve Doran
Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Dan Bachalis, Lisa Zeuner, Eric Schmehl, Susan Weingartner, John McCaffery, Erin Husta, Stephen Cittadini; Naomi Jainarine Watershed Ambassador, Tim & Christine from GreenLife energy solution
- Events and Projects:
Community Garden Update
- Assigning work day responsibilities/ leaders. Mica will create sign-up sheet for Opening Day.
- Advertising check-in (daycare slips, digital/ printed flyer, etc.) Amy will share digital flyers for printing before April event & will ask Kathia to translate to Spanish.
- Available plots: 13
- Scheduling Garden Talks- ‘YES’ decision to invite ShopRite nutritionist to do Garden Talk & Children’s Workshop;
- Childrens Garden Workshops- John McCaffery will help Lisa
Green Life Comfort Partner
- Tim & Christine presented on their free home audit and home energy check-up for low- and middle-income households, as well as Community Solar options. Mica will invite them to the next SJ meeting.
April Third Thursday Planning
April 18, 2019
- PPA will be conducting 3 Landscape Makeover information sessions (rain garden rebate program) at 6:15, 7:15, 8:15 inside NextDoor
- Weather pending, we’ll be on the sidewalk outside with Watershed Ambassador Naomi
- Handing out reusable bags, community garden information, saplings,
- Dan will include upcoming event information in press release.
Watershed Ambassador Report
- 25 people attended the Batsto Stream Workshop hosted by PPA and SJLWT.
- Another, more official Stream School will be offered May 11-12 where participants who pass the test can submit the data they collect to the state.
- Naomi will email details to Mica.
- Plastics Subcommittee meeting, 6:00 pm @ Casciano, April 10th
- Planning large-scale art project, potential tie-in with Green Day
Environmental Commission Update
- Lake Cleanup recap- Dan reported that approximately 110 people signed into the event, collected 53 bags of trash & 39 bags of recyclables (non-consolidated). ACUA, NJLCV & PPA shared information at the event;
- Idea to have more informational booths at the event next year.
Mother’s Club Partnership:
Toy Recycling Event
- No information available.
Sustainable Jersey planning
- Next SJ meeting date will be Monday April 15, 7:00 pm @ Town Hall
- Green Business Recognition Program-- Amy, Kerri & Lisa expressed interest in following up on pending applications next month. Dan will mention the program to John Runfolo during a meeting this week.
- Rx updates from Linda- will continue to follow-up with hospitals and the HPD, as pharmacies will not be a viable option for sharps disposal.
- Saturday September 21st; rain date of Sunday September 22nd
- Mica will fill out UOF form to reserve space & date
- Linda will follow up with HEF to determine whether they are amenable to hosting Recycling Central at Lake Park
- AC for Bernie vendor-- group decided to allow as a vendor IF there is a significant focus on sustainability.
- Idea to have workshops inside the Canoe Club-- John McCaffery will reach out to Canoe Club managers to ask. They are also invite to have a table to ‘recruit.’
- Green Drinks 4/12 at Three 3’s Brewery
- Townwide Cleanup 5/4- possibility of having a table/ booth w/ info?
- Rain Barrel Workshop @ Canoe Club 5/4 12:30-2:30 (registration online is still not available).
- Jen- Wasted! Documentary screening? No updates.
2. Open Floor
- Opportunity to table at ShopRite 4/27 Earth Day event-- Committee was interested.
- Opportunity to have table at Mother’s Club 4/28 5k-- Not at this time due to other events that day.
- Budget overview- We will discuss potential purchases at future meetings.
- Compost bin purchase opportunity- group thinks it’s a good idea, approved partnering with local groups. Amy will spearhead, hope to collect orders for ~2 months and host bin drop-off as Garden Talk in late May/ early June.
- Post monthly meetings on Facebook?- group approved, Mica will execute this idea.
- Jersey Friendly Yards as our next EOFLS
3. Next Garden/GC Meeting: May 6th, 7:00 pm