Hagbourne CE Primary School
School Improvement Summary 2018 - 2019
‘Preparing each child for their future in an ever- changing world’
‘Pupils are confident, self assured learners who are proud of their achievements and of their school. Their excellent attitudes to learning have a strong, positive impact on their progress’
We, as governors, feel that this sums up what we want our children to be like both in their time at Hagbourne and in life. This has driven the three areas of School Improvement and below is a summary.
The above is our own take on the one of the outstanding grade descriptors for personal development, behaviour and welfare (Ofsted inspection handbook Sept 2018).
1. LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Train and develop Mental Health and Wellbeing Champion Teachers.
- English subject leader to train staff in guided reading and SPAG (Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar).
- Maths Mastery Specialist to research and trial new maths planning with staff.
- EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage) coordinator to complete an audit of outdoor area and plan actions from outcomes.
- SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) and Pupil Premium lead teacher to develop case studies to show progress and attainment.
- Train Senior Leadership Team to take lead on the data tracking system and analysis of data to ensure underperforming children identified and interventions in place.
- Governors to successfully recruit a new headteacher.
- Train and develop the new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subject leader.
2. QUALITY OF TEACHING, LEARNING AND ASSESSMENT
- Continue to develop whole class guided reading and to focus on higher level reading skills.
- Review of phonics teaching and assessment.
- Develop children’s reading for pleasure - introduce reading bingo to encourage reading of different genres.
- Continue to embed the Mastery Maths approach.
- Focus on children editing and improving own writing.
- Continue to develop(SPAG) with training for staff.
- Develop ‘non-negotiables’ for punctuation and for children to use when editing work.
- Carefully map writing genre with SPAG objectives.
- Develop cross curricular writing opportunities with STEM.
- Share best practice with local schools and partnership schools.
3. PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT, BEHAVIOUR AND WELFARE
- Create a Wellbeing and Mental health scheme of work to pull together all the areas of mindfulness and well being investigated last year.
- Introduce the Zones of Regulation to give children and staff a framework to foster self-regulation and emotional control.
- Develop a member of the SLT to be a Mental Health Champion for the school.
- Develop an online behaviour monitoring system to allow SLT to monitor in a more timely and efficient manner.
- Review of the EYFS planning to ensure the provision is broad and balanced.
- Monitor and address attendance concerns.
- Train an Emotional Literacy Support Assistant (ELSA) for the upper Key Stage 2 classes.
We firmly believe that focusing on these areas will ensure that progress and attainment in
the core subjects will be in line with or exceed the national averages in the statutory tests.
If you would like any further detail please see a member of the Senior Leadership Team or a governor.