UofM Global Coordinators SIG Notes
October 10, 2017 | 10:00 - 11:00 | UC Senate Chamber
Quick Notes from Open floor Discussion
- With Fair Berg’s departure, Leonia Fowler Houston established as point contact for UofM Global Course Development inquiries.
- Asked about clarification about what is expected of ADA compliance, current strategy, support offered and what to expect in the future.
- To alleviate concerns, relayed that the Office of Distance Learning is currently interviewing new candidates and in the process of hiring two new instructional designers to expand campus pedagogical support.
- Best Practices for faculty when creating media content for UofM courses and content will be available in the future. Will send out email of when they are available as well as a list of services we can offer right now.
- Brought to attention the issues at hand for developing online courses for newer instructors. Having, one-on-one, hands on help for those who would like it during the process would help. One of the issues is the information and help available when developing courses for those who are unfamiliar with the practice.
- Suggestions of a “Show and Tell” type of forum that would be for experienced faculty to show what has worked for them and what has not. Examples given were shared failures and successes, teaching tactics, possible video examples as well as writing samples and rubrics. Consensus that Information sharing between the online teaching communities would be beneficial.
- Suggestions that the Innovation Showcase could not only showcase technology but also innovative ideas with online teaching and the like.
- Because of the issue of time, Provost asked UM3D to be available to be a resource for UofM Global programs to assist in accessibility. Also soften the deadlines for accessibility updates. There will still be deadlines, however less stringent.
- Problems with Accessibility. The updated process was clarified that students with disabilities, that are on the list, are considered. Their courses are audited and faculty/Department is contacted and advised to go over their content.
- Would like the available training to not only be for the technical side but Pedagogical as well. Specifically Need training sessions to satisfy US News Survey.
- Mentioning Ecourseware default to accessible font needs to be addressed by ITS.
- Accessibility checker for HTML tool available to validate accessibility of site.
- Recommended to create and or use media that is generic that can be used for up to 3 consecutive semesters.
- UM3D is able to caption content of up to five hours per course that was created by the faculty. Does not include publisher and YouTube content. Any instructional videos done by UM3D are already captioned and therefore not included in the five hours given. Also there is a transcript that can be made available for other uses.
- Ensemble Video is preferred method for media uploads but there is also 3Play Media available for a fee.
- Learning management systems has a Learning Object repository for faculty to use. It’s able to be created in ecourseware for ease of sharing documents, examples and possible templates that other faculty can use.
- The question of whether or not training is available was addressed. Training is not required for UofM Global instructors, however ITS offers 3 courses.
- “Smart Thinking” and Lynda.com very effective tools with helping with already created content for online tutoring for students to use. Can be linked to online course.
- Would like to include Accolades and Badges having to do with online courses on the UofM Global site. Information needs to be forwarded to UM3D department.
- Will send out meeting invites November 7th. Links for long distance meeting as well as link with a brief survey for topics to be discussed during next meeting.