FLASHPOINT ARTISTS INITIATIVE, INC.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

Date:            Dec 7, 2019        

AGENDA/Minutes

“The mission of Flashpoint Artists Initiative is to encourage growth & development of a community that promotes artistic creativity and freedom of expression.”

Meeting Location: at the board retreat; the public is invited to join remotely (meet.google.com/hwa-pmti-yot)

Meeting Time:    10:00–1:35

Meeting called to order at 10: 07 by Chad .

  1. TAKE ROLL
  1. Board members present: (Mary, Chad, Luis, Ryan, Dale)
  2. Officers present:____ (President – Mary Robb), _√_(Vice-President – Chad Jones), _√_(Treasurer – Daniel Draven), _√__(Secretary - Dale Lyles)
  3. Board Elect present: __√__ Alyson, __√__ Chandini, __√__ Amariah
  4. Community members present:
  1. Will Johnson
  2. Gracie Hansen
  3. Cat McEachern
  4. Scout Campbell (remote)
  5. Shelli Blackton (remote)
  1. APPROVAL OF PAST MINUTES
  1. Approved
  1. RECORD OF BUSINESS TAKEN IN SESSION BY BOARD SINCE LAST MEETING
  1. xxx
  1. OLD BUSINESS
  1. President’s Report (Mary)
  1. Thank you for your productivity and respectfulness.
  2. Whatever else
  1. Action Items from last month’s BOD Meeting (Nov )
  1. Charter template to Chandini [CHAD] √
  2. Committee liaisons (choose) [ALYSON, CHANDINI, AMARIAH, LUIS, DALE]
  3. Ghini to explain how Google Drive/emails/Thundertix (on agenda)
  4. Conduct committee [CHAD, AMARIAH, DRAVEN] √
  5. CPA report on 501(c)3 [DRAVEN]; still in process
  6. Thundertix credit [DRAVEN]; still in process
  7. Timeline/calendar for contract/permit [RETREAT]
  8. Define public time/etc for Board retreat [BOARD]
  1. Committee Updates
  1. Public Works Committee (RYAN )
  1. xxx
  1. Event Committee (LUIS)
  1. Had a meeting
  2. Foundational issues: values/cultural matter need to be resolved before a stable structure of organization
  1. Communications Committee (CHAD)
  1. Shelli
  2. Need to discuss TechOps under Comms?
  1. Home Committee (LUIS)
  1. We have an open offer for Home Committee chair
  2. Need to identify community events
  1. Conduct Committee (Liaison(s))
  1. Drafted code of conduct (Draven, Amariah, Chad)
  2. Has been run by Jacob
  3. Want it approved by 2019 board and 2020 board
  4. Published; community feedback;
  5. Will be sent to board via email
  1. NEW BUSINESS
  1. 10 am: Values & strategic goals of the org, committee roles/responsibilities overall questions
  1. Gracie: summary of last weekend
  2. Values vs Principles, so values for 2020 to start out with;
  3. Who we are: What makes Alchemy community different from other burn communities:
  1. radical resilience (moving land to land)
  2. Controlled chaos: blowing stuff up; known for being angry/combustible
  3. Creating space where people can be the best version of themselves
  4. Safety
  1. Who we want to be
  1. Intention:
  2. Growth: principles & goals for internal development
  1. Volunteer base
  2. Community
  3. Art
  4. Culture
  5. Leadership
  6. Every person in the community
  1. Transparency builds trust: communication
  1. Not either/not; sliding scale
  2. Alyson: “translucency” as a term to play with
  1. Leadership
  1. Create training, etc, that translates into real-world work experience
  2. Train volunteers in leadership; more than management
  3. Becoming regional leaders/regional training
  4. Match skills/requirements/expectations; willingness/abilities/considerations
  5. Carrots/sticks; rewards/failures
  6. “Clutch volunteers”
  1. Goals
  1. Volunteering/Leadership: Enjoyable/sustainable
  2. Cultural development: ceremony, training,
  3. In-person time
  4. Community outreach
  5. Essential duties in leadership development
  1. 12pm: discuss specifics of 2020 Alchemy, including EC changes and changes from local government
  1. Update on 2019
  2. Public afterburn report; Board afterburn report in draft: EC was epic cluster; event was awesome; EC members frustrated by what led to the situation (frustration, burnout); felt disrespected by board; needs to be assumption of goodwill, more leadership; “We” vs “I”
  3. Event went well, “radical resilience,” leads were fantastic; art was fantastic;
  4. Rangers need more support; create Ranger booth
  5. TBase should have remained 24-hour; need more volunteers, etc
  6. Larger expense: replace lamps (Ops, APW, Lamplighters)
  7. Car czars: need more stanchions for Gate; managing higher traffic periods
  8. Expand parking lot 15%
  9. Swag situation unfortunate but unavoidable; TCOs have received swag; remaining 700 to be mailed Monday; not worried about duplicates
  10. EC beginning/ending ceremonies
  11. EC will discuss number of leads needed per dept;
  12. Be aware:
  1. Safety asst’s to go to meetings with Fire chief;
  2. Jan: new event requirements re: EMS; may not be able to use FLOW but a private medical team; may require a medical supervisor (physician); may require ambulance; probable big budget change; new protocols for our safety teams
  3. New city planner, new people; new faces/perspectives
  4. Probable discussion: All structures > 144 sq ft must be CA fire rated, i.e., even theme camps’ tents…
  1. Chatt Hills: communication = 1 voice from burn, 1 voice from City
  2. Assessment of emergencies: number about average for an event this size; all handled well; two removals, 1 medical, 1 LEO
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Org: $69,080                            
  2. Alchemy Event: $5,000        
  3. Euphoria Event:   $2,000
  4. Art Fundraiser Event:   $5,000
  5. Money Market (Op Reserves): 85,000
  6. Available Credit Line: $5,000
  1. Public Comment
  1. ACTION ITEMS
  1. Conduct Committee Charter (AMARIAH, CHANDINI)
  1. ADJOURN
  1. Motion to Adjourn: by Dale
  2. Second:
  3. Vote: unanimous
  4. Time: 1:35