Roundtable 3: Multi-Modal Transportation
Main issues raised:
- Pedestrian movement, community buy in
- High visitation transportation overload
- Snow removal problems
- Visitors in rental vehicles and tour buses
- Better transportation options/safer choices
- No regional transit for commuters, haphazard parking for car pooling
- Size requirement (viability) for public transit
- Problems with overnight parking?
- Use of OHV
- Marketing transportation options
- Planning to reduce need for transportation
- Reduce use of personal vehicles by enhancing bike traffic,
- Promote light rail transit
Issues for discussion:
- Issue 1 Tourist transportation capacity, general congestion Capacity for public transportation
- Issue 2 Bike transportation, OHV use
- Issue 3 land use
Challenges and solution:
- Issue 1 pay for parking, subsidized (via parking revenue, taxes) bus transport, intercept parking, gondola, commuter train, private financing? Who covers operating costs? Start up limited bus service: grants, private entity. Partnership with Province, with add on Hotel Tax
- Issue 2 subsidized studded bike tires to encourage bike use 12 months. OHV use in certain areas/circumstances. Electric bikes, scooters. Extensive trail systems provided for cyclers.
- Issue 3 reducing parking requirement for developers, car use becoming less relevant in future. Integrated transportation plan providing safe bicycle traffic lanes, parking structures. Paid parking in downtown core. In car parking payment, parking apps. Proper directional signs, for destinations as well as parking available information.