Gateway Regional High School
Life Skills Grades 9-12
856-848-8200 Voicemail 629
Remind 856-345-2852 - @lspierce
Google Classroom Code - h3gf8su
This Family and Consumer Science course covers a variety of areas such as food preparations and nutrition, fashion construction and textiles, consumer education, and living on your own. Challenging hands-on opportunities will be provided throughout the year.
Some of those projects include lounging pants, sweat pants, or shorts, project of choice from a commercial pattern, and a fashion show finale at the end of the year. Food units of instructions include: pastry, desserts, soups, casseroles, and gelatin.
* Nominal fees may apply depending on student project choices.
Course Expectations and Assessments
Students may retake traditional tests or benchmarks however, students may NOT retake long term sewing project assignments. Students may rework areas as they work on their sewing project if they would like to improve their grade in certain areas of the rubric. There are deadlines for assignments that students are expected to meet to stay on task for the marking period and not fall behind.
There are no take home homework assignments given in this class. At times students may need to work on an assignment outside of class in order to complete it by the deadline.
Required and Recommended Materials
Mrs. Pierce is available for after school help on Fridays. Students need to let Mrs. Pierce know they will be staying.
Classroom Behavioral Expectations and Rewards/Consequences
Expected Behavior in Room 101 and 102
· Treat yourself and others with respect
· Be cooperative and not disruptive
· Take Responsibility for your actions
Daily Classroom Procedures:
· Place Attendance card in correct basket
· Be in your assigned seat when bell rings
· Lavatory: 10/10 Rule applies at all times
· Keep all cell phones OUT OF SIGHT!
· Keep Chromebooks away and closed unless it is for instructional purpose.
· No Ear Buds or wearing around neck while working in the room.
· No hats or hoods up.
· Bring a pen or pencil and folder to class everyday!
· No talking during announcements.
· Teacher’s desk are off limits except for permission by teacher.
· Pencil sharpener – no colored pencils in the electric sharpener.
· Primary 60% Grading: test, projects, class participation,handouts,
· Secondary 30% and quizzes, google classroom
· Support 10% “1” in the computer means absent but required
· Total: 100% “2” in the computer means did not turn in
· Check the ABSENTEE FOLDER or GOOGLE CLASSROOM for your work, if absent. It is the responsibility of the student to make up all work that is missed.
· Safety – no running, or horseplay in the room, no leaving the kitchen units, and abide by the safety features discussed
· Supplies – Scissors, needles, and pins should only be used for sewing and kept in the sewing room at all times. All food supplies are provided by the teacher.
· All kitchen tools and utensils must be washed, dried and put away at the end of the class period.
· Fire Drills – Students will line up in single file and proceed in an extremely orderly manner. Roll will be taken outside.
· Stay in your seat! (Do not line up at the door) Wait until the bell rings.