SLOKC General Meeting Minutes
Open Meeting: 6:40pm at Round Table Pizza in Atascadero, CA by Carrie
Introductions & members in attendance: (Attendance Sheet)
Robin Blackburn, Mary Brown, Jeanette Ferguson, Cindy Fleenor, Janell Fleenor, Carrie Muir, Shari Ziegenbein, guest Joan Earhardt
- Approve 8/23/17 minutes as amended. Cindy moved to accept, Shari seconded. Passed
- Karyn not in attendance
- Shari noted that insurance is due in November
Past Show Business: May 13-14, 2017
- Juniors Scholarship update: Legality of just giving the winner a check?
- Per an update e-mail from Jennifer Nowell:
Ok, here's what I was able to find about scholarships at this point...this is taken directly from the Jr Showmanship Rules and Regulations book:
- Ribbons shall be at least 2 inches wide and approximately 8 inches long, and shall bear a facsimile of the AKC seal, the words Junior Showmanship, the name of the show-giving club and the date.
- No money prizes shall be offered. Gift cards/certificates, non-redeemable for cash or US Savings Bonds may be offered.
- Clubs offering a Scholarship as a prize must submit funds directly to the School the Junior is attending. Clubs may establish an account to maintain these funds until the time the Junior requests the award be sent to the school.
- All other prizes must be described or value stated, and must be offered for outright award.
- No prize may be offered that is conditional upon the breed of the dog being handled."
So we are doing as instructed, basically. Hold funds until Jr requests it sent to the school. Bummer. I will continue to research this and see what we can do, but I'm thinking it might not be much more than what we are doing already. That is, if we want to keep it a scholarship.
We can do other things like gift cards and US Savings Bonds, too. They have those pre-pay credit cards that might work, but then, there's no guarantee those funds will be used for school and not Starbucks or smartphones.
- Members discussed options, and request Jennifer look into the cost/benefit/difficulties of offering US Savings Bonds in the future.
- No update - Karyn not in attendance
- Storage unit update: meeting September 23rd at storage unit to sell/disburse items
- Bradshaw will be picking up the mats on Friday (9/22/17) from the storage unit. They will be paying $1350 for the lot.
- Meeting is set at 9:00am at the River Road Mini Storage, located at 1631 River Road, Paso Robles. Helpers must park outside and be let into the mini storage area; there isn’t enough room inside for many cars.
- Robin suggested the club offer the jumps to Eileen Hardney as a gift, if she’s interested. They are the wooden jumps with slats to build up the height. Robin moved, Mary seconded. Passed
- Mary Brown offered to have the club’s items stored on her property. The club will purchase a shed and place it on her property. In the meantime, the items will be stored in a box truck offered and owned by Jeanette Ferguson.
- Items requested (for purchase) by club members:
- Jennifer Nowell - small table
- Mary Brown - medium table
Next Show: March 29 - April 1 2018 - Including Easter Day
- Secured five additional judges:
- Gary Anderson - Joy Douglas
- Rick & Debbie Gschuender - Luis Paro
- We suspect Karyn is not aware that she’s in charge of 2018 trophies.
- Wine tasting day update: legally allowed to do it at Kern? (Robin)
- Wine tasting is allowed!
- Suggestion that we only do wine tasting on (Good) Friday. Robin moved, Janell seconded. Passed
- Noted that we can increase to both days next year
- We will need 2-3 cases of wine. Cindy has exhausted her wine club favors for donations. Each member is requested to donate 2-3 bottles of wine in order for us to have the amount needed.
- Shari informs us that Jennifer from the Kern County Kennel Club will put out a FaceBook post/poll/request, asking for members to submit names for the cluster. All members will be notified on Facebook when the post is released, so suggestions can be submitted.
- Previously suggested by members of SLOKC:
- Grape Cluster, Grape Escape Cluster, Central CA Showdown, Grape Escape, Grape Gala, Gathering of the Grapes
- Supported Ridgeback Entry update?
- The supported entry has been approved; Shari received the letter confirming it.
- Jennifer Nowell will choose the judge for the Supported Entry.
- Obedience & Rally at show, & owner/handler?
- We will have all three at the show.
- Obedience and Rally - KCKC has people who will handle it
- Owner Handler Group will be included
- Eye clinic suggested - Jennifer N.
- No update - may be difficult finding a local doctor willing to travel to Bakersfield
- Theme update - Jennifer Nowell and Shari
- Need to coordinate with KCKC
- Junior Scholarship 2018
- We will need two people to sit at a single gate, letting ticketed ($5) spectators in (Exhibitors free) between the hours of 8:00am and the end of the show. We will discuss at a future meeting whether or not we will charge an entry fee for the Thursday/Friday show
- Kern County Fairgrounds tour
- Jennifer of KCKC has offered to show interested members around the Kern County Fairgrounds any time after October 1st. Suggested we determine a date to visit at the October SLOKC meeting.
- KCKC will hire the sound person that they’ve used for many years
- Shari will call the EMT and Susan Howard (regarding the college kids) and let them know they won’t be hired this year.
- Nomination committee of three members appointed by the President, not more than one shall be a member of the board. Committee is to hold a meeting to determine nominations before the October general meeting.
1. Cindy Fleenor
2. Jennifer Nowell
3. Shari Ziegenbein
Next Meeting: October 25th at 6:30pm at Round Table Pizza in Atascadero
Note: October meeting is when nominations for next year’s officers are accepted. You must be present in order to be nominated.
Close Meeting: 7:53pm by Carrie
Minute Taker: Secretary Janell Fleenor