AkASL EBoard Meeting Notes Summary
Face to Face Meeting
October 9, 2018
- The paper membership form has been redesigned. Do you need to join or renew? Visit http://www.akasl.org/membership.html and use the online registration or the printable PDF form.
- Don’t forget to register your school district for Battle of the Books. Practice questions will be released October 15th.
- AkASL is planning to redesign its logo. Do you have a suggestion? Email your region rep with an idea. We will be accepting suggestions through December 1.
- AkASL is embarking on a campaign to request that the Alaska State Board of Education revised Alaska’s Library / Information Literacy Standards (which were adopted in 1999) and adopt the 2017 National School Library Standards. Check out the advocacy page for news, updates, and ways to help.
- Did you know AkASL is on social media!? Join us in the Alaska School Librarians Facebook group or on Twitter to get ideas, share your own, and discuss what’s new in school libraries in our state.
- Did you know AkASL is a roundtable of the Alaska Library Association (AkLA). According to AkLA’s bylaws: “Roundtable chairs shall attend AkLA Executive Council meetings to represent the roundtable to the Association and vote if the roundtable has maintained 40% membership in AkLA.” Unfortunately, AkASL has not maintained a 40% membership in AkLA. Over the last few years, leadership in AkLA and AkASL have worked to find a solution to this problem. Recently, AkLA proposed a new dues structured that would provide a substantial discount to school librarians. At our October meeting, the AkASL EBoard agreed to move forward with the new pricing structure, which will take effect in the 2019-2020 membership year starting October 1, 2019. With this new dues structure in effect, new and renewing members will pay to join AkLA at the rate that matches their income according to the chart below. During this process, they will select AkASL as their roundtable. No additional charge will be collected for AkASL membership. If you have questions or comments regarding the new dues structure, please email your region rep. We look forward to continuing to work with AkLA to support and serve school librarians across the state.
$30,000 - $39,999
$40,000 - $49,999
$50,000 - $59,999
$60,000 - $69,999
$70,000 - $79,999
$80,000 and over