Strategy Two: Tapping The Power Of Our Whole Community
Objective 2.2: Citizen-Student Mentoring
Executive Sponsors: Brian Flones, Superintendent; Diana Haglund, Coordinator Wenatchee Learns
Three-Year Benchmark Objectives, Actions, Barriers and Outcomes
- Create awareness of College Mentor Program (CMP).
- Connect WHS College Mentor coordinator with current list of “Mentors” in volunteer database.
- Write community connections article for Wenatchee World about CMP.
- Promote and connect CMP social media pages to WL and WSD.
- Develop outreach plan to promote WHS College Mentor program.
- Increase number of mentors in WHS College Mentor program.
- Create awareness of online career coach mentorship.
- Explore strategies to promote lunch buddy program to employers.
- Continue to promote college mentor program. Develop website on WL page for mentor program
- Integrate College Mentor into partner appreciation event to recognize the CMP Mentor of the Year
- Create awareness of the Confluence Health High School Mentor program to Wenatchee High School students and community
- Ensure students have access to application and support to complete the application
- Contacted by MENTOR the national mentor alliance asked to send representative from WSD to congressional hearing on business sponsored mentor programs in Washington DC. Casey Vogt Confluence Health Student Services Coordinator also attended
- Add spring mentorship experience to Confluence Health offering
- Explore regular industry tours of Confluence Health Central Washington Hospital.
- Continue to cultivate partnership with Confluence Health.
- Tap into resources available from Mentor.org
- Create Mentorship Program at WestSide High School for seniors
- Develop outreach plan for recruitment of mentors
- Create modules and activities and calendared events
- Develop communication tool and protocols for successful mentoring
- Hold information sessions for WestSide High School Mentor Program
- Continuous planning, communication, and engaging both students and mentors
- Development of a Wenatchee Valley College Alumni Mentorship bridge program.
What action steps or strategies need to be explored or developed to reach benchmarks?
- Outreach materials and media strategy for CMP and Lunch Buddies
- Develop how to guide for career coaches
What obstacles or barriers need to be addressed?
- Time. Are there flexible ways for partners to participate in these mentorship activities?
- Student participation. Need to make sure students are asking questions in Career Cruising of online career coaches.
- Continuous engagement of mentor and mentee as the activities becoming challenging/mundane
Who needs to be involved in the planning discussion and action steps for this objective?
- Diana Haglund.
- Andi Johnson, College Mentor Coordinator.
- Jim Broome, Newbery Counselor.
- Kory Kalahar, WestSide High School
What measures need to be developed to monitor the outcomes of the objective benchmarks?
- Baseline of current participation in these mentorship activities by both students and partners.
- Assessment of current outreach plans and collateral materials.
- Number of students participating in post-secondary education