ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


Meeting Agenda & Minutes

When

October 17, 2017 18:00 UTC

Where

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android:

https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/2990614325

Or iPhone one-tap :

     US: +16699006833,,2990614325#  or +16465588656,,2990614325#

Or Telephone:

     Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current

location):

         US: +1 669 900 6833  or +1 646 558 8656

     Meeting ID: 299 061 4325

     International numbers available:

https://cuboulder.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=dkXVwWrScl2Zn-ICfB_iDMtxRhA_zwX9

Agenda and minutes

  1. Round table, who is attending
  1. Ruth Duerr
  2. Peter Pulsifer
  3. Sara Bowden
  4. Jan Rene Larson
  5. Allison Gaylord
  6. William Manley
  7. Øystein Godøy
  8. David Baker
  9. Melissa Zweng
  10. Liz Hoy
  11. Matt Jones
  12. Anne Garland
  1. Adoption of agenda
  1. The agenda was adopted without changes.
  1. Review of minutes of previous meeting
  1. 2017-07-05
  1. Actions were mainly related to collaboration tools.
  2. No comments to the minutes.
  1. Review of purpose
  1. The purpose is currently formulated as:

The Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group brings together people who are interested in semantics and vocabularies relevant to the polar regions. Originally established as a joint effort between the Arctic Data Committee and the Arctic Data Sub Team of the Interagency Arctic Research Policy Committee, the group is open to all individuals and organizations with an interest in this topic.  

Group activities include:

  1. Promote awareness of existing vocabularies and semantics initiatives to increase effectiveness and reduce or eliminate redundancy
  2. Coordinate vocabularies and semantics development activities across the polar information community
  3. Enable and organize regular communication within the community
  4. Help members of the community connect to useful and interoperable vocabularies
  5. Inform polar community about broader activities (e.g. ESIP, RDA), and act as ambassadors from the polar community to other initiatives
  1. No comments to the purpose. It  is now adopted.
  1. Status of collaboration tools
  1. Website - addressing item D in the purpose
  1. https://arcticdc.org/activities/core-projects/vocabularies-and-semantics-wg 
  2. Action Item - Peter Pulsifer to ask for access for Øystein and Ruth to the website.
  1. (Done)
  1. Action Item - Øystein and Ruth keep the site updated
  1. Slack - addressing item C and E in the purpose
  1. Action Item - Øystein to decide how to get this going post event - done
  2. Use polarsemantics as work space if available.
  1. Google groups - addressing item C and E in the purpose
  1. Action Item - Ruth to decide how to get this going post event - done
  2. Use polarsemantics as Google user if available - done
  1. Google drive (as a mechanism to collecting information on vocabularies of interest?) - addressing item A in the purpose
  1. Action Item - Ruth to decide how to get this going post event - done
  1. Trello (should be used for liaison with ADC) - addressing item B in the purpose
  1. Action Item - Øystein to decide how to get this going post event - done
  2. Use polarsemantics for project if available
  1. May revisit these decisions later as other semantic groups mature and may become persistent for the longer term
  1. Next steps
  1. Start creating an overview of relevant vocabularies
  1. Google Docs were agreed
  1. Action Item: Ruth/Øystein to start up (forms - include sample instances or examples of use on the form)
  1. Action Item: Frameworks for semantic content curation is a topic to come back to later
  1. Coordination management of vocabulary development efforts
  1. Google Docs is fine - a template would be good
  1. Resource management and tools for relevant vocabularies
  1. http://casrai.org (also intended as a partner member)
  2. http://yamz.net
  3. http://www.ontobee.org/
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. Ruth
  1. At the recent RDA Plenary she was approached about an upcoming ontology hackathon to occur next spring on the topic of glaciers - will post more information to the website when it becomes available.
  2. Release 3.0 of SWEET[1] just happened.  Actively being aligned with ENVO and OBO Foundry processes.  Activity is happening on GitHub at https://github.com/ESIPFed/sweet, using GitHub processes to administer changes (i.e., issues, change requests, etc.). A small amount of ESIP funding is being used for this in coordination with the use of yamz.net to coordinate term definitions.
  3. There is a public/private partnership evolving to build an Open Knowledge Network (http://ichs.ucsf.edu/open-knowledge-network/) that would be the Open and Public version of the Knowledge graphs that companies like Google, Amazon, etc. all have built to handle searches, etc.  NIH, NASA, DARPA, etc. along with various company’s were in attendance.  The expectation is that there will be opportunities to contribute to the content as well as to build the infrastructure.
  1. Peter
  1. Permafrost - Permadata is doing a little work on an initial ontology, Peter talked with Boris Radosavljević at GFZ Potsdam (previously at AWI) about moving forward with the IPA as a sponsor of that work.  Also was in Iceland with a group working on EU Horizon 2020 award, is keen to work on this; clarity of who is doing what will come in roughly 6 months or so….  Might want to add a permafrost discussion to the agenda of one of these calls.
  2. NSF Dear Colleague letter - white paper (2000 words by Nov. 30) so NSF is aware of this community.  Peter is the lead.  Updates will be posted to polardata email list and the ADC site.
  3. Arctic Data Planning Summit workshop is moving forward to bring funded groups who want to be more interoperable to get together and decide on a case study to collaborate on (e.g., carbon, …)
  1. David (CASRAI - IRIDIUM Glossary)
  1. Would like to formalize a partnership with this group for relevant review of polar context in the annual outputs of the glossary;
  2. Would be seeking an Expert Panel to be tasked in January every year - to take a look at the terms in their glossary requested and proposed that are relevant to polar regions
  1. Next meeting
  1. Decide in meeting or issue Doodle?
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 1800 UTC; we will hold the next meeting on that schedule even though it is Thanksgiving week in the USA.
  1. Action Item: Øystein to send out a calendar invite with relevant links. This should cover the period until Summer 2018.
  1. Next agenda will have the topic of outreach strategy

[1] Semantic Web for Earth and Environmental Technology