Published using Google Docs
ADC-IARPC Semantics WG 2020-09-15

ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


Meeting Agenda & Minutes


2020-09-15 19:00 UTC (01:00 PM MDT and 21:00 CEST)



  1. Round table (who is attending)
  1. Ruth, Shannon, Allison, Bill, Mark S., Rebekah, Øystein, Pier Luigi
  2. Ruth informed that the group may need to identify a new co-chair. This will be discussed in the next meeting.
  1. Adoption of agenda
  1. Adopted
  1. Review of minutes of previous meeting
  1. 2020-08-18
  1. Approved
  2. Access to chat is restricted to participants that were present.
  1.  Review of action items
  1. Ruth to ping Pip - can we get matrix part of the paper moving
  2. Ruth/PIP to send an email out to repository reps re verifying their content for the Polar Semantics Planning Matrix (see below)
  1. The revised matrix is now available. Then relevant records will be sent to the respective “owners”.
  2. Keeping task open for now - Pending 4a.
  1. Allison, Bill, Ruth, and Øystein to review structure of the matrix of harvesting relationships. The structure is to be discussed in email with the whole group.
  1. Ruth needs to coordinate with Pip to send this out. 4c essentially complete, just need to complete 4a.
  2. Keeping task open for now.
  1. Pier Luigi to explore a data paper on the Polar Vocabularies Questionnaire with support from Ruth, Mark and Øystein.
  1. link to responses: Polar Vocabularies (Responses)
  3. Possible synergies with two recent workshops at ESIP on vocabularies (Lesley Wyborn, Simon Cox; and Margaret O’Brien, Mark Schildhauer)
  1. notes from O’Brien/Schildhauer ESIP session:


  1. Terminologies for I-ADOPT
  1. Catalogue of terminologies for I-ADOPT
  1. Pier Luigi volunteered to push this work forward. Aiming at a short communication note. Potentially for Data Science Journal.
  1. Polar Semantics Planning Matrix updates
  1. Keeping this in the agenda until it can be closed.
  2. The matrix is available at Matrix of metadata harvesting relationships
  3. The matrix and other materials from this family of meetings are being documented in these two papers:
  1. PDPS White Paper Draft - Harvesting Portion
  1. Peter, Pip, and Ruth to plan finishing paper (after April 1st). Planned for Data Science Journal.
  2. Get section on tooling written
  3. Discuss the matrix
  4. Add next steps
  1. Beyond the data bits - new working group on this
  2. Self-documenting catalogs
  1. Pending Ruth’s discussion with Pip, Øystein may be willing to pick this up if Pip no longer wants to or is able to lead. Update status in next meeting.
  1. PDPS White Paper Draft - Recommendations Portion
  1. Ruth to finish recommendations section - completed
  2. Peter works on editing the draft
  3. Ruth will send another doodle poll to a larger group of authors for final comments once Peter’s edits are received.
  4. To be submitted to Data Science Journal as a Practice Paper
  1. Regular interoperability workshops debriefs and plans
  1. Lessons learned in the September 2nd workshop that should be further discussed
  2. Polar practices recommendations for implementing is the short term goal
  3. Wider practices also in discussion
  4. It will take some time to push this along
  5. Including semantics in is already happening
  1. Following discussions on the 2020-08-18 meeting, discuss definitions of data and datasets that could be used in the Arctic Community
  1. The purpose is to achieve definitions that are useful in communication with data providers (i.e. scientists and agencies)
  1. The UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development Implementation Plan v2.0. (See glossary for definitions of data, information, knowledge, and digital knowledge ; note we had to tone down the technical aspects as this document goes to the GA) : 
  3. If necessary establish a task team to elaborate on suggestions
  1. Agreed to continue discussion about “data definitions” on PolarSemantics SLACK. Starting point is to reuse what is already done by other communities. The discussion should preferably lead to a recommendation from this group that can be discussed in a wider polar context.
  2. Elements to consider include usage of data through the concepts of analysis ready data, science for service etc. This is probably best approached through a set of definitions.
  3. If feasible establish a special channel for this to keep information linked.
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. No time to cover this.
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 19:00 UTC (21:00 CEST, 15:00 EDT, 13:00 MDT).
  1. Tentative date for the next meeting is Tuesday 20th October.
  1. Since not everyone is using Slack, emails should be circulated for each meeting.